What will you do with your 10minute breaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halekulani

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i don't even know what the rules are for the breaks. can you eat? read the economist? leave the test room? i really like to stretch....are they anal about you leaving the room?

Members don't see this ad.

Use the restroom. Even if you don't think you need to, it's good to go so that you don't want to get up during the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Amen.:smuggrin::thumbup:

I think I'm losing my mind....

I want to pee during my break, definitely.

If everyone's starting their exam approximately at the same time, won't there be a line at the bathroom during breaks?

How many 10 minute breaks do we get total during the real thing?

You get one between each section. So 3, PS/Verbal/Writing/BS.

What I did was to pee (cannot overstate its importance), and snack some (powerbars and gaterade) to keep my blood sugar high. I also take 2 sips of redbull during the breaks to keep a little bit of caffeine in my body.

I want to pee during my break, definitely.

If everyone's starting their exam approximately at the same time, won't there be a line at the bathroom during breaks?

No, not really. At least at the test center I went to, everyone had to check in individually started from when we could begin the test. The check-in for each person was long (for each person, they take digital fingerprints three times per index finger, take a picture, examine your ID, and lecture you about a whole bunch of stuff) - probably like five minutes per person. So the sooner you arrive, the sooner you start, and if you're among the last to arrive, you might not get into the test room until like 30 minutes or more after the time you signed up for.

I Never used more than 2 min of any of my breaks. Just because with a break all I had to focus on was the intense headache the test was giving me. I used the bathroom like 30 sec before they sat me so I was ok.

I Never used more than 2 min of any of my breaks. Just because with a break all I had to focus on was the intense headache the test was giving me. I used the bathroom like 30 sec before they sat me so I was ok.

I got a terrible headache, too. And I even took Ibuprofen right before the test started. After the test, the headache just refused to go away...I still had remnants of it the next morning.

I think I'll just pee twice during the first break, that way I won't have to during the second. That should work, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
sooo if u take 15 min breaks each time instead of 10...will they cut time off ur last section.... ??!???:confused:

cause my older sibling jsut took the usmle this year and said if u didnt come back from ur breaks ontime then they cut off how much ever u went over ur breaks from the last section...:scared:

soo what i want to know is wahts the deal if we go over the allotted break periods (and i plan on taking all three). :confused:

They don't, computer is programmed to give you the allotted time for each section, they can't mess with that. The test won't start until to get to your desk and press the button to continue. But I wouldn't take like 20min breaks between sections, then they might say something or write you up, they are kind of strict with things.

I went to the bathroom, washed my hands and face with hot water. Then I went to my locker got a little bit of water, stretched and that was it for the break.

Eat some chocolate. Good for the brain and helps keep me a little more concentrated.

I went for a 5 minute sprint between sections. That might not work for some, but I think some physical stimulation is a good idea. Don't let the lethargy set in. I'd tell you my scores, but I haven't received them yet. Two more days, supposedly.

I freaked out because it took what felt like 2 minutes to process my fingerprints when I left and entered the room. It took two or three attempts before the machine recognized me. I must be a chameleon or something. Damn annoying.

Splash water on your face.

To the guy who sprinted, :lol:

I used each break to eat a small snack, drink a little, stretch, and use the restroom. There was only one other person taking the MCAT at the same time as me (only 4 computer stations total at the test site) so I wasn't rushed to get back in on time and all that. I used the locker to stash my food and drinks. Use as much time as you can on the breaks, no need to rush anything.

I used about 5 minutes. Every break, I got a little bit of water and used the restroom. Our test center wouldn't even let us leave the building, so sprinting would have been a no-no for us. :laugh: Also, after PS and after VR, I ate a granola bar for some brain food.

i had a bad case of the runs during my test and took a dump/pissed each break. I also had some doritos and a redbull in the middle break.

i had a bad case of the runs during my test and took a dump/pissed each break. I also had some doritos and a redbull in the middle break.

LOL... I always get gas during these types of tests. Since the MCAT is soooo big, I think I'll just let them go during the test. Maybe it'll lower the score of those around me. :D