what would my future be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwanna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi,so I am new here..:D
hehehe...

I just graduated from my high-school and I am starting my dental school in Indonesia next few months. I'm turning 18 soon.:D

I'm not really sure what to do. Well,i am already a registered student in the dental school,but frankly Dental wasn't my real interests. I wanted to become a Vet,but when i was younger so i didn't really think about it,so i thought it would be impossible. I really like to study health stuffs,and 'i think' i'm pretty good in science.:idea: I chose dentistry because i was naive and shallow thinking about the money,and i thought it would not be dangerous when a malpractice occurred.:confused::scared:

I know that i still have a long way to go. But what if i don't like my job as a dentist?
I'm worried. What would my future be?
I need some advises.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hehehe...

I just graduated from my high-school and I am starting my dental school in Indonesia next few months. I'm turning 18 soon.:D

I'm not really sure what to do. Well,i am already a registered student in the dental school,but frankly Dental wasn't my real interests. I wanted to become a Vet,but when i was younger so i didn't really think about it,so i thought it would be impossible. I really like to study health stuffs,and 'i think' i'm pretty good in science.:idea: I chose dentistry because i was naive and shallow thinking about the money,and i thought it would not be dangerous when a malpractice occurred.:confused::scared:

I know that i still have a long way to go. But what if i don't like my job as a dentist?

I don't know anything about how they do dental schools in other countries, but you can get into dental school in Indonesia right after high school? I'm confused :confused:

I don't know anything about how they do dental schools in other countries, but you can get into dental school in Indonesia right after high school? I'm confused :confused:

In many countries you can go straight to professional school, or only have to take a minimum amount of college courses.

Members don't see this ad :)

LOL. Yes, you can. Actually there's countries where high school ends at grade 10 (approx. 16 years old) and you enter professional school right after. You take something like a high school exit exam and depending on your score, your profession is chosen for you. I believe engineering/medical doctor is for the highest scores and dentist comes in third. I'm not talking about Indonesia in particular.

hehehe...

So I understand you went into dentistry not knowing much about it... But now that you have chosen it, is there something in particular that you don't like about it? In other words, do you know what you don't like? Or are you just worried you MIGHT not like it. I would suggest you explore it.. It is possible that once your explore it, you might see yourself being able to do it.. or enjoy doing it. Talk to dentists and dental students and see what they say. Talk to your parents.. see if they are open to you not pursuing dentistry if you are unhappy with it.

hehehe...

Have you had an opportunity to job-shadow or volunteer in the field? It's a great way to learn about the field to determine whether or not the glove fits you. It's a major commitment so being unsure may mean you need more experience in the field. I like the old carpenter's mantra, "measure twice, cut once." Talk to dental professionals and ask a lot of questions.

If you have major doubts, you may owe it to yourself to reevaluate your choice. Plus, who knows, you may provide a spot in Indonesia for one who is passionate about oral health. The decision is yours.

Yeah,i graduated from high school on grade 12th. The dental school is one of the professional school,so.... yeah..:laugh:

So I understand you went into dentistry not knowing much about it... But now that you have chosen it, is there something in particular that you don't like about it? In other words, do you know what you don't like? Or are you just worried you MIGHT not like it. I would suggest you explore it.. It is possible that once your explore it, you might see yourself being able to do it.. or enjoy doing it. Talk to dentists and dental students and see what they say. Talk to your parents.. see if they are open to you not pursuing dentistry if you are unhappy with it.

Sorry, i wasn't clear enough.
It's not that i don't like it. I do,but the my interests is more on becoming a Vet.
it's as you said,i'm afraid i MIGHT not like it.
I'm not unhappy with it,i'm just worried.
I'm willing to try my best,i just wanna make sure about it,even though i've chosen it. My parents is putting a lot of hope for me to become a dentist. and I'm quite excited about it.
But,i'm just not sure.
my mind's a mess now.

Have you had an opportunity to job-shadow or volunteer in the field? It's a great way to learn about the field to determine whether or not the glove fits you. It's a major commitment so being unsure may mean you need more experience in the field. I like the old carpenter's mantra, "measure twice, cut once." Talk to dental professionals and ask a lot of questions.

If you have major doubts, you may owe it to yourself to reevaluate your choice. Plus, who knows, you may provide a spot in Indonesia for one who is passionate about oral health. The decision is yours.

No,i never tried volunteering in the field.
But I will get more information about it.
Guess I'll try to study through my classes in the college,who knows i might like it.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I understand that i need to go for it.
Since i still have a long way to go,so who knows what's going to happen?
Thank y'all for replying!:laugh:

I might need some more advice in the future,so i hope all of you can help!
THANKS!

Last edited:
The educational system from my native country is pretty similar to Indonesia.
Right before one graduates from high school, one has to take a national standardized exam that covers every subjects you learned from grade school. Before you take the exam, you have to fill out a form ranking your interests in Major/University. After you got your exam scores back, you'll be MATCHED to the Major/University of your choice.
Back in thirty years ago, electrical engineering was ranked #1, then it was Medicine. However, the scores needed to attend Dental major is actually higher than Medicine in recent years.
For Medicine, it's a 7-years bachelors program. For Dentistry, it's a 6-years program.

As to the OP, go visit and shadow a dental office and ask the dentist as many questions as you can, so you can get a gist of their life.

Hmm.. But right now the dental school I'm attending takes 4 years before I get to be dentist.
And my plan in the future is to open a clinic and practice at America,but I'm not sure how,is it possible?

Hmm.. But right now the dental school I'm attending takes 4 years before I get to be dentist.
And my plan in the future is to open a clinic and practice at America,but I'm not sure how,is it possible?

That's what "Americans" need- a disgruntled practitioner.

Last edited:
Its like that in most other countries. That's why dentists in other countries who want to practice in the US have to complete US Dental School.

No,i never tried volunteering in the field.
But I will get more information about it.
Guess I'll try to study through my classes in the college,who knows i might like it.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm sorry, I have to intervene. If you were my own younger sibling, I would. You came here hoping for advice so I'll take that as permission to do so. Yes, you are young so you can afford to make mistakes. You have also been offered a privilege and a lot of people would absolutely love the opportunity. So, based on the aforementioned reasons, you can choose to invest a great deal of time and money to learn a very expensive lesson. I'm not sure if this is so wise if you don't feel that way about the profession. If one has never been exposed to the field, it's no surprise that one would not be equipped to make that decision. Simply, you don't know anything about it so of course you wouldn't know if you'd like it. If you want to know if this is for you, spend some time at a dental clinic and watch what goes on and see if you can do this. What if you figure out on your first week that it's not for you. Then you would avoided a costly mistake.

Consider what else you can accomplish during the time and with the money you would be spending or owing. You're accountable for your own life but spend more time weighing out your options, especially since you're unsure.

I'm sorry, I have to intervene. If you were my own younger sibling, I would. You came here hoping for advice so I'll take that as permission to do so. Yes, you are young so you can afford to make mistakes. You have also been offered a privilege and a lot of people would absolutely love the opportunity. So, based on the aforementioned reasons, you can choose to invest a great deal of time and money to learn a very expensive lesson. I'm not sure if this is so wise if you don't feel that way about the profession. If one has never been exposed to the field, it's no surprise that one would not be equipped to make that decision. Simply, you don't know anything about it so of course you wouldn't know if you'd like it. If you want to know if this is for you, spend some time at a dental clinic and watch what goes on and see if you can do this. What if you figure out on your first week that it's not for you. Then you would avoided a costly mistake.

Consider what else you can accomplish during the time and with the money you would be spending or owing. You're accountable for your own life but spend more time weighing out your options, especially since you're unsure.

No,No:eek:... Your advises are really helpful.. Thanks a lot!:D
Please do give me advice even it means punching me in the face..
haha...:laugh:

Yeah,since i've chosen dental,then i'll do my best in it.
And i will try to volunteer in a dental clinic if i have the time.

That's what "Americans" need- a disgruntled practitioner.

:confused:i don't really know what disgruntled means. is it unsatisfied?
if it is,i'm not sure i would be unsatisfied doing practice as a dentist yet.:laugh:

So,for the past few weeks i was volunteering in a office as a social worker.
I know it's not my thing,but i was thinking to at least have a work experience.
My job as a volunteer is something like admin work desk thingy.
and I'm very sure that this is not the right job for me,present or in the future.

(it's just an additional information.)