What would you be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markglt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I start USE SOM in May, that's a solid 3 months. I have a considerable amount of time on my hands and am unsure what to do with it. I have gotten my first sem. books-anatomy,histology, and embryology, however it is hard to study without a syllabus and a classroom. I am reading the text like they are novels, I'm not really sure how helpful it is. I haven't been in the classroom since Aug. 2003, and I don't wanna head down to school with a 3 min. attention span and no will to study. Can any medical students, or premeds that are playing the waiting game give me some advice. Basically does it make sense to try and lighten the load before i get down there, get a head? Don't know what i should be doing. All comments welcomed. Thanks all.

-Mark :scared: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mark--

Congratulations on taking the first step of what will undoubtedly be an interesting journey! I guess everyone has their own way of doing things; I'll share mine.

I wouldn't bother reading anything for class until you actually start. You'll be doing more than your share of studying once you're down there, so cherish the free time you have left! I'm not sure how things are down at USE, but at SGU the professors also give out lecture notes. These were usually sufficient for exams, and I rarely read any text--especially in first term (it's really hard for me to read about anatomy. I learned much more from dissecting). I used the text as a reference on difficult concepts mostly. I don't think I even opened my Biochemistry text (I did use the Lippincott review book a lot, though). Mostly, it was the Board Review Series and class notes. The one notable exception for me was Pathology. We used Robbins "Basic Pathology", and I pretty much read the whole thing.

So, depending on your lecture notes, you may find that you don't actually use your texts all that much. Again, this is how things worked out for me--we'll see how Step I treats me this summer!

So, stop reading and relax for now!

Good Luck--

Brian
MS-II, St. George's University SOM

If you have time and the money, take a Kaplan board review course. this will tell you the important things to know for the USMLE. Also a nice overview of the next two years.

Dude,

Don't waste your time and money on Kaplan or anything like it right now. You'll have plenty of time to study when you get to school especially without the distractions at home (friends, family, etc.)...

For now, enjoy your time off. Hang out with your buddies, family and just basically relax and enjoy yourself.

Good Luck on the next step in your journey!

GD

MSDone-SMU SOM