What would you do? Anemia and Preg

Started by cmpeder
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmpeder

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 25 years old and this is my first pregnancy. A little over a month ago i was told that I was anemic. My numbers were: Hematocrit 25.4; Hemoglobin 9.2 RBC 2.78. My MCV, Iron and Folate were perfect. But my Ferritin was Low at 6, and My B-12 was also low at 168. I was told to take repliva, folate, and B-12, which I have religiously. After a month of this they took my CBC and my Hemoglobin and Hematocrit have not changed, but I was only told to continue what I was doing. I am so weak, but the doctor does not seem to care. And, I am worried about labor. I am now 35 weeks. I feel like I am running out of time to get these numbers up and what we are doing is not working. Why are we not talking about more aggresive measures? The doctor told me today not to worry that I wasn't even really that anemic; that it is just a part of being pregnant. But, everything I have read says it is not normal, and I should worry. I think I am being brushed off. Would you be more concerned going into Labor with a hemaglobin level at 9 and a hematocrit at 25? Should I see a hematologist? Is this doctor old and uncaring or am I a worry wort? What would you do?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.