What would you do, DDS or.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med223

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal:

I posted some of this information yesterday in another thread, but you consider me a non-trad at 32, 2 children and a wife, and we live out in the country in West Texas. Its so cheap to live out here (drive through and you will understand why), so the house is paid for and land is like 400 bucks an acre (no, Im not kidding- like I said, drive through the area around Lubbock and you will understand). But we like the quiet and the friendly people, so we are happy.

In my 20's I was an elementary school teacher and also worked for the state health dept. Then our second child was born with pulmonary hypertension. That whole experience of almost losing him (multiple times) I guess propelled me into wanting to help children in a healthcare setting. Like I said before, I was a school teacher, so I haved geared my career towards children.

My dad, both his brothers, and I think 3 of his cousins are all docs in central TX, so I have been exposed a fair amount to medicene over about 20+ years. However, I have always considered med and dental to be very intertwined with each other, and I love to use my hands to fix things- to make something out of nothing, but I also love to investigate and hunt down specific problems to fix them.

I have done plenty of volunteering and mission work in both fields. So right now I'm just finishing up some prereqs and doing some research and grant work for the med school along with the state health dept.

One important note: I have noticed over the years and my dealings with both professions, that dentists tend to be more laid back than docs. Obviously, the level of seriousness would depend on the specialty you choose in either field, but I have always respected dental guys for their attention to detail. Thats what I like.

Problem: We would have to move away for 4+ years for the dental part. Texas Tech has a med school, so Im close to it and that would just involve commuting back and forth. Remember: 2 kids (2yrs old and 8 months old). And I want to provide them with at least a place where they can feel like they always come home to. I will do anything for them. So this is a big career change- but I love a challenge, and if Andrew can pull through something like he had, I can do this for sure!

stats:
Undergrad GPA: 2.8 (waaaay to much drinking!)
Graduate: 3.7 (in education)
Science GPA so far: 3.5
Independant research
Cooperative research with local med school

Im not looking for answers here, just insight. You guys are smart: roll em' in!

good luck to all

Members don't see this ad.

I lived in Lubbock up unitl two years ago when I decided I was going to go to dental school. I too have 2 kids, so I decided that med school was not what I wanted mainly due to the time required prior to practicing. I actually moved to Houston to complete my prereqs and will stay here for school. Be prepared to spend considerably more for living expenses no matter which school you attend. If you are looking to be a family practice doctor then the time commitment is not much more than a dds, but I was interested in other areas that strecthed the schooling out until I turned 40. That was a long time considering that I was 27 when I was making this decision.

I say go for what is going to work beter for you in the long run. If you would rather do dentistry, then that is probably what will be beter for your family. If you are able to stay instate, you will spend considerably less than most people (like me, going to Case Western in the fall). I have a one year-old boy, so the way I figure by the time he is in school I will be out of Cleveland. Your 2 year old will be a little older than that when you are done, but he could be worse off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have that about the long-run thing. The fact is, moving sucks- especially with a family.

Yeah, I have that about the long-run thing. The fact is, moving sucks- especially with a family.

Judging from the age of your kids, my guess is moving back (or wherever) will be more of a challenge.

don't see a real problem, go for it! you only get one life and you gotta sieze it :cool:

does anyone else realize that this is another DDS vs MD thread?

So lets gear it towards the dental side...

People move and go into debt with more than two kids and they are older. I don't see why you need anyones input from this site (this is not an UNWELCOME, just a "do what you want to to reply)