What would you do in my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontbescared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hope applications are going well. So I have just graduated, with about a 3.3 overall and almost 3.1 sGPA. Unfortunately, I didn't work too hard my first and second years. My science classes take a very strong upward trend towards the end of college (A- in biochemistry, A in microbio, B+ in human anatomy) however. Also, I scored a 21 AA, 21 TS, and 21 PAT, with no section below a 20.

Now I have graduated last month, and I applied to and was accepted to a masters program in Human physiology/biophysics for the Fall 2015 semester (to strengthen my science background). I included some courses for the fall as "planned coursework" in AADSAS.

Right after I esubmitted my application, I landed a job at a dental practice close to home. I don't think I can include it on my app anymore either (someone correct me if I'm wrong). At the practice I am doing both dental assisting (trained on the job) and some days front desk (appointments/calling insurance etc). I am honestly learning A LOT.

So now my issue is whether I should work full time at this office over my gap year, or do the masters (will be 15 credits full time, might be able to work some weekends if I'm lucky) (also the masters is going to include about 8-10 hours a week of driving back and forth). I would love to continue working and make some money versus the masters is about 12k~ for the year.

I called NYU to get some opinions and they simply wouldn't say anything, so I am sharing my story here in the hopes of some advice.

Thank you so much for reading, and any comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say masters. Your GPA is too low to risk a gap year without raising your grades. Unless you could take like an informal post-bacc that would raise your grades to like a ~3.5 while you keep the job, I'd take the masters.

That's not to say that you won't get in anywhere with your GPA, it's just that I think that's the weakest part on your app and that can be amended with a grad program. Work if you can but try to get a 4.0 in the master's program.

Reactions: 1 user
Dang...if you have stellar ECs, LORs and a kickass personal statement, I actually think you might have had a chance this cycle. 3.1sgpa...yes it is low, but you had an upward trend.

Since that isn't an option, I guess I would also go with the Masters program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys. Yes this is what I have been thinking to do, I just wanted some extra opinions. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet on this one and kill this masters.

I'm just hoping some classes are recorded/posted online so I won't have to commute 5x a week.

Honestly, I would probably go with the masters as others have suggested as well. Bumping that sGPA to a 3.3-3.4 will do the trick for you, which will surely happen if you get A-/A's in your masters courses.

This is off topic, but how did you land that job?

Honestly, I would probably go with the masters as others have suggested as well. Bumping that sGPA to a 3.3-3.4 will do the trick for you, which will surely happen if you get A-/A's in your masters courses.

This is off topic, but how did you land that job?

It was honestly out of complete luck, a friend heard about a new office that needed someone. I called in for an interview, and despite my inexperience (I have shadowed/volunteered but never anything hands on) they offered to train me as long as I wouldn't mind switching days off between assisting and front desk.

If it wasn't for my friend thinking of me I definitely wouldn't have got a job like this. Grateful for her. Some parts of this journey just involve knowing the right people I guess.

It was honestly out of complete luck, a friend heard about a new office that needed someone. I called in for an interview, and despite my inexperience (I have shadowed/volunteered but never anything hands on) they offered to train me as long as I wouldn't mind switching days off between assisting and front desk.

If it wasn't for my friend thinking of me I definitely wouldn't have got a job like this. Grateful for her. Some parts of this journey just involve knowing the right people I guess.

Definitely. It is pretty difficult to find offices that are willing to do that for you, especially if you're not involved in some way. And it seems convenient being that close to where you are.

Since you just graduated, I'd say set the gears in motion to try to land a spot at an SMP. However, I was in a very similar situation to you and got into plenty of schools. I think you'll get in somewhere, but better safe than sorry!

Since you just graduated, I'd say set the gears in motion to try to land a spot at an SMP. However, I was in a very similar situation to you and got into plenty of schools. I think you'll get in somewhere, but better safe than sorry!

What do you mean by land a spot at an SMP? Also seems like your grades were better than mine, haha. Congratulations though, thats awesome!:)

What do you mean by land a spot at an SMP? Also seems like your grades were better than mine, haha. Congratulations though, thats awesome!:)

SMP - Special master's program. A program normally having an affiliation with medical/dental school where you take classes with med/dent students or classes similar to them. Your goal in an SMP is to get a 3.7+ to show adcoms that you can handle dental school level courses. Often doing well in an SMP leads to a high chance of at least and interview if the program is linked to a med/dent school. Doing poorly in an SMP however greatly diminishes you chances.

SMP - Special master's program. A program normally having an affiliation with medical/dental school where you take classes with med/dent students or classes similar to them. Your goal in an SMP is to get a 3.7+ to show adcoms that you can handle dental school level courses. Often doing well in an SMP leads to a high chance of at least and interview if the program is linked to a med/dent school. Doing poorly in an SMP however greatly diminishes you chances.

Ah, thats what I thought. There's the Rutgers dental scholars program but thats nearly 30K I believe. The program I'm going to be at is at a state school and a lot of people in it do it to get preference for the MD program they have there.

Ah, thats what I thought. There's the Rutgers dental scholars program but thats nearly 30K I believe. The program I'm going to be at is at a state school and a lot of people in it do it to get preference for the MD program they have there.
If you do well in that Rutgers program, your chances of being accepted somewhere are pretty likely. At least from what I've read/heard.

If you do well in that Rutgers program, your chances of being accepted somewhere are pretty likely. At least from what I've read/heard.

Yes I heard they love when you talk about it at an interview. I'm located on long island and having to travel to New Jersey multiple times a week is not really ideal lol. Even the masters is about ~50 minutes from me so thats going to be rough too, especially once the NY weather goes back to being ****.

Yeah, they're a bit higher but same trend applies (terrible first two years, great last two years) so I thought it was applicable :p

Yeah the main downsides of these programs seem to be the price and doing poorly (Like below 3.5) can leave you dead in the water or in a worse off position then you currently are in.

Yeah the main downsides of these programs seem to be the price and doing poorly (Like below 3.5) can leave you dead in the water or in a worse off position then you currently are in.

second chances don't come easy and theres always a price I guess.

In a country I was from, there is no second chances anywhere.

second chances don't come easy and theres always a price I guess.

In a country I was from, there is no second chances anywhere.

Of course, not saying it's a bad choice or an end all be all but if someone does an SMP they should put in 100%.