What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danielle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am on the waitlist at the med school I hope to attend (Case). However, I have also been accepted to CCOM. If Iam not accepted at Case should I go to CCOM or should I defer the acceptance and attempt to get accepted to Case? I plan on retaking my MCAT since I currently have 28O and it will no longer be accepted. I will also complete my M.S. in Anatomy in May at Case and am currently applying for a student research scholarship from the American Heart Association. I currently am doing research focusing on cerebral blood flow and metabolism and hope to continue this research while I attend med school. My P.I. wants me to reapply if I am not accepted and continue to do research towards a Ph.D. while I am applying. Should I just go to med school in Chicago or should I reapply?
My stats: Grad GPA: 3.53, UG GPA: 3.5, Science, 3.65

Members don't see this ad.

Did you not like CCOM when you interviewed? I'm just wondering why you would spend the money and time to interview there if you didn't intend to attend.
Is Case your state school? If so it may be worth reapplying once to try and save some money via the low state tuition. In the end both schools will provide you with a good medical education.

TAKE THE SEAT AT CCOM!!!!!!!!! In the end you'll still be a doctor allo. or osteo. doesn't matter. Do you really wanna go through the app'd (primary and secondary) the letters of rec., the fees, the waiting, and the FEES, all over again. Remember the saying " a bird in hand is worth more than......."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Danielle,

In my honest opinion, I think that you should take the seat at CCOM. You ultimately will have to do what is best for you. If you take the seat at CCOM, you will definately be graduating in 4 years from medical school. If you hold out, you are not promised anything. If you dont think you will be happy at CCOM, then I could see why you would want to hold out and wait another year. If it is another issue, then feel free to PM me and I will discuss it with you.

I have never applied or interviewed at CCOM, but I am sure that it is a great school. Case has a great reputation as well. Either way, you will get a quality education. I agree with the above poster. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Good luck to you Danielle.

Aaron

Danielle-

I can understand your predicament. I had been in a very similar one years ago when I had to choose between re-applying vs. go D.O. Five years ago, the level of competition for M.D. medical school was at an all time high and anyone who had gone through that period will attest to that. This same surge of competition is also seen passing onto during the residency cycle. In my honest opinion, I don't really know how competitive the current market is for M.D. school, but your stats seem borderline at the moment if I had to compare it with how it was years ago (your stats are very similar to mine).

One problem I vaguely remember is that if you choose to retake the MCAT and if you also matriculate as a D.O. medical student, you are automatically disqualify to take the exam (you are no longer a qualify candidate). I ran into a similar problem years ago when my MCAT result would have been expired for the next application cycle. I knew that my borderline MCAT scores kept me from gaining acceptances or even getting interviews. I knew that I didn't have much room to play with being in such situation. I realized then that the MCAT was solely design to take money and make your life hell.

As for your other options with further post graduate studies like Ph.D's. or M.S., I honestly don't think the adcom at M.D. schools really care much for this (at least for me when I applied five years ago). I also have an M.S. degree from a prestigious institution (did very well), but the politics of the admission process will dictate who gets in. Getting a Ph.D. is great if you are planning to go into academics, but if your plan is to practice as a physician, I absolutely don't see what the purpose for this is.

About a third of my current D.O. classmates have Masters and Ph.D. degrees. A large proportion also have nursing, paramedic, therapist background. Two-third choose to go into M.D. residencies. The other one-third went into D.O. residencies, but all competitive ones like Orthopedic Surgery, EM, ENT, Optho, Derm, Urology, Radiology, Neuro. Surgery etc... Honestly, the only regret I had is spending so much money and time for a Master degree and re-applying while some of my college classmates who went D.O. are currently practicing as physicians making $200K+ in their jobs as attendings. Nothing is worst in your medical career than to find an intern or resident who in life know so much less than you, but in medicine knows so much more than you. The lesson I learned is beggars can't be choosers.

Hope that helps, good luck in your search for a spot!

I think I would be very happy in Chicago compared to Cleveland. However, it will be hard to turn down the opportunity to do research especially if I get a stipend like other graduates. However, research is not what I want to do. I want to practice medicine and actually treat people rather than mice and rats. I am going to talk to the admissions dean at Case on Thrusday and see what he has to say. They are still unsure how much movement there will be on their waitlist. Hopefully it won't be like last year where they didn't accept anyone from the waitlist.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am seriously considering taking the offer from CCOM. I certainly agree that the MCAT is designed to make life hell. I thought that by getting an MS would help with my acceptance but I must be wrong. I don't regret getting the degree because it will cerainly prepare me for med school, however I don't plan on going into academics to do more research. I'm tired of it. I've been doing it now for seven years and need some change in my life.

Where2B said:
Danielle-

I can understand your predicament. I had been in a very similar one years ago when I had to choose between re-applying vs. go D.O. Five years ago, the level of competition for M.D. medical school was at an all time high and anyone who had gone through that period will attest to that. This same surge of competition is also seen passing onto during the residency cycle. In my honest opinion, I don't really know how competitive the current market is for M.D. school, but your stats seem borderline at the moment if I had to compare it with how it was years ago (your stats are very similar to mine).

One problem I vaguely remember is that if you choose to retake the MCAT and if you also matriculate as a D.O. medical student, you are automatically disqualify to take the exam (you are no longer a qualify candidate). I ran into a similar problem years ago when my MCAT result would have been expired for the next application cycle. I knew that my borderline MCAT scores kept me from gaining acceptances or even getting interviews. I knew that I didn't have much room to play with being in such situation. I realized then that the MCAT was solely design to take money and make your life hell.

As for your other options with further post graduate studies like Ph.D's. or M.S., I honestly don't think the adcom at M.D. schools really care much for this (at least for me when I applied five years ago). I also have an M.S. degree from a prestigious institution (did very well), but the politics of the admission process will dictate who gets in. Getting a Ph.D. is great if you are planning to go into academics, but if your plan is to practice as a physician, I absolutely don't see what the purpose for this is.

About a third of my current D.O. classmates have Masters and Ph.D. degrees. A large proportion also have nursing, paramedic, therapist background. Two-third choose to go into M.D. residencies. The other one-third went into D.O. residencies, but all competitive ones like Orthopedic Surgery, EM, ENT, Optho, Derm, Urology, Radiology, Neuro. Surgery etc... Honestly, the only regret I had is spending so much money and time for a Master degree and re-applying while some of my college classmates who went D.O. are currently practicing as physicians making $200K+ in their jobs as attendings. Nothing is worst in your medical career than to find an intern or resident who in life know so much less than you, but in medicine knows so much more than you. The lesson I learned is beggars can't be choosers.

Hope that helps, good luck in your search for a spot!

I have seen similar threads posted in the past..and actually have classmates that were in a similar predicament a few years ago. Bigger picture I think it is most important to think about is being a DO vs. MD. I have classmates that are bitter and HATE the fact that they will have DO after their name instead of some sought after glory they associate with having the MD title.
It all depends on what you want and what your career goals are...waiting another year to get into school sucks...but one year vs. spending the rest of your life...50+ years being unahappy with your professional initials?

Just something to think about....

Let us know what you decide....and CONGRATS on the CCOM acceptance!

I think you should wait another year and reapply. Your stats are very respectable, and if your heart isn't at CCOM, then wait it out.

If I remember correctly, CCOM doesn't start classes until Sept. If you are and will be content with your decision to attend CCOM, then by all means do it. I don't know when Case starts, perhaps August, but in any case, if you accept CCOM and then late Aug. Case calls you to offer a seat, you'd have to make a quick a decision. That's not taking into account all the $ you'd be losing if you signed an apt. lease and have moved to CHicago by then.

My $0.02

You have to also take into consideration that it is not easy whatsoever to defer admissions. You have to have a hell of a reason, and this late in the game, it may be hard to get deferred.

be happy you got into an american school and stop whinning

or give up ccom and maybe go to a school in mexico.

give up your seat to someone who would be estatic to be where you are -someome who didnt get in anywhere

your prospective is wrong you need to grow up. sometimes hearing this will get your prospective in the correct place

be happy that you have feet instead of whining over what shoes to buy

good luck

Dr.Wolkower said:
be happy you got into an american school and stop whinning

or give up ccom and maybe go to a school in mexico.

give up your seat to someone who would be estatic to be where you are -someome who didnt get in anywhere

your prospective is wrong you need to grow up. sometimes hearing this will get your prospective in the correct place

be happy that you have feet instead of whining over what shoes to buy

I could not disagree more. I would never encourage somebody to not follow their dreams. If Danielle's dream is to go to American MD school, she should go for it. Here stats are not that far off and she could certainly improve her application over the next year. What is one year of your life in the overall scheme of things? There are people who have certainly wasted alot more than one year of their life doing other things. Why would you tell her go to Mexico?

Of course there is always the question of why did she even apply to CCOM if she didn't really want to go there, but I am not here to judge :)