What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nets445

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a patient that I'm rounding on who is a NP and insists that I call her Dr instead of Ms. Am I legally forced to oblige?

Members don't see this ad.

As someone with no legal background I would say you could get sued for not giving the title she wants. When patients call me by first name I dont say anything, just hand them my lawyer's card at the end of the visit as a heads up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You use patients names when you interact with them? Just look at them and start talking no need for that nonsense—if I did that I would say hello 217a, how are you today?

Have a patient that I'm rounding on who is a NP and insists that I call her Dr instead of Ms. Am I legally forced to oblige?
You could always say…but…you aren’t a doctor…you are a nurse practitioner…or if you really want to get her goat… you are a midlevel…I can call you NP last name if you would prefer that over Ms….of course you pt satisfaction score will go down with that one.

But yeah… if you have a mid level… have her see the pt.

You legally can do what you want. Its free speech. That said I would not address an NP as Doctor In a clinical setting. NP lastname is her title. If thats what she prefers go ahead. And if thats a dealbreaker remind her she can sign out against medical advise if she wants.

Reactions: 1 user