What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bella

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heylo, I need some honest input...it's okay if its too harsh..I'd rather not have the sugar coated version.

Say you had an overall GPA of 2.89, and a science GPA of 3.20. A bachelors degree in accounting, would you still go for dental school? Is it worth the try or would you not even bother.

Mainly schools in California...unless you recommend some other state.

*sighs*

PS: and lets just say you took the DAT and you didn't do so hot.

Members don't see this ad.

Bella said:
Heylo, I need some honest input...it's okay if its too harsh..I'd rather not have the sugar coated version.

Say you had an overall GPA of 2.89, and a science GPA of 3.20. A bachelors degree in accounting, would you still go for dental school? Is it worth the try or would you not even bother.

*sighs*

Based on your post it seems like you don't really want to go to Dental school. If you do you will do anything to try and get in. Ofcourse is worth it if that is what you really want. Since your degree in accounting, you may not have takenthat many science classes. It is actually good for you. Now you can take those science pre-req and raise you GPA and if you do well on DAT you can get into Dental school. Dental schools is Dental school if you want to be dentist you should be willing to go anywhere given your stats. Now in CA i am not sure you will get in but that should not matter if Dentistry is what you really want to do.

Mustt Mustt is right. Your science gpa really is not that bad. If you do really well in your pre-reqs you can not only raise your science gpa but your overall gpa. I think dental school admissions would take notice if your science gpa is higher than your overall gpa. Plus your degree in accounting would be great for dentistry since you will most lilely be running your own business.

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you really want to go to dental school, and IF you're willing to accept the possibility of going to a school not necessarily in CA, your chances aren't that bad at all.

It's not impossible to get into a CA school with that GPA, though you'll be at the bottom of the admitted applicants. You'll definitely need to rock the DAT, get some decent extracurriculars and good LORs. Doable, you just have to really want it. A couple of my classmates have sub-3.0 GPAs, but they made it up in other areas. You should check out Yah-E's sub 3.0 thread.

Bella said:

*sighs*

just do-it
don't put conditions and limits on it!

The schools aren't going to be beating down your door to get you in, but you definitely have a chance of getting in somewhere.

If you have not completed your science pre-reqs for dental school you need to finish those up with A's. Retake the DAT if your score was bad and make sure you do well. And most importantly you are going to have to be willing to go to whatever school accepts you. That means possibly leaving your beloved California for the east coast.

If you can do those three things there is nothing to stop your from becoming a dentist. Good Luck.

Like everyone else said, if dentistry is really what you want to pursue, then go for it. I was a liberal arts major in undergrad and after I graduated, I had to take all the pre-dental science courses. I studied really hard and ended up with a much higher science GPA than my "liberal arts" GPA. Good luck!

Bella said:

*sighs*

If it helps, I spent the last 2 years boostin my GPA to get into dental school this year. My baby sister, 1 year younger than me, is in dental school right now. Talk about being the laugh of the family when people say your baby sister is living your dream. We both had set our dreams to be dentists from Day one. However, I slacked off and paid for it. So, just try your best and dont give up. Make sure you want to go dentistry though. No one had to tell me what to do, I just instinctively knew. For me, it was a matter of family helping me cope with the stress of dental applications. So glad it is done now. If you need help, give me a PM. I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

Take care,
Rich