What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentMDDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I kinda have a problem. I was part of a eight year medical program to go to a tier 1 medical school but I had to make a mcat score of a 28. Due to bad timing on my part, I started studying for the mcat the end of junior year and didn't make the score I needed the first time. I made a 24 and I found out July 1. I needed to have my score in my september so I decided to take it again after a month of studying and I made a 21. By the time I found out the score it was September and I had to go meet with the admissions board. They decided to give me another chance and I had to take it on January where I made a 22. They dismissed me from the program and I am about to graduate in 3 months. Because of this program, I do not have much extracurricular activities. The extracurricular activities include research for 6 months, shadowing for christmas break, going to a third world country and working with a hospital. I have a 3.52 GPA and probably a 3.3-3.4 science GPA. I don't know if I should give up on my MD dream or if I should try the MCAT again. Any thoughts?

StudentMDDO

Members don't see this ad.

Up until now your record makes you appear to be a person who has had every opportunity to succeed and has underachieved. This does not engender sympathy, I'm afraid. It will take significant improvements to remediate this. You need to validate your commitment to service and convince at least one school that you can take a standardized test.

so you think I should take the MCAT again? Also, to get into the program I had to work hard. It was not like someone was passing it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you think I should take the MCAT again? Also, to get into the program I had to work hard. It was not like someone was passing it out.
Exactly. You are a gifted person, apparently in many ways. This makes your situation even more challenging to remediate.

Exactly. You are a gifted person, apparently in many ways. This makes your situation even more challenging to remediate.

So are you saying there is no way to remediate it? Sorry, I'm just not understanding what needs to be done.

So are you saying there is no way to remediate it? Sorry, I'm just not understanding what needs to be done.

I think it means that you'd have to remake your application to show that you've completely changed from the abrupt end to your program. Do volunteering, make commitments, and above all, do very well on the MCAT.

From my perspective, if I am an adcom member, it looks like you were given 3 shots and you missed each one. Even after getting an extension from the program. How would you convince me to take a chance on you if you couldn't perform when the pressure was on?

I guess by taking the MCAT again and making my extracurriculars outstanding. So basically, I do have another chance I just need to optimize it. I know pressure was on but I shouldn't have put my eggs in one basket.

I think it means that you'd have to remake your application to show that you've completely changed from the abrupt end to your program. Do volunteering, make commitments, and above all, do very well on the MCAT.

From my perspective, if I am an adcom member, it looks like you were given 3 shots and you missed each one. Even after getting an extension from the program. How would you convince me to take a chance on you if you couldn't perform when the pressure was on?

:thumbup: this is good advice. Dedicate a year or two to show adcoms that you've improved.

I guess by taking the MCAT again and making my extracurriculars outstanding. So basically, I do have another chance I just need to optimize it. I know pressure was on but I shouldn't have put my eggs in one basket.
Work on raising your GPAs, as well, even if it means delaying graduation or taking postbacc coursework, if you want a better shot at MD schools. For DO schools, you'd probably be fine GPA-wise, assuming some demonstrated capability with upper-level Bio or an upward grade trend in the sciences recently.

Don't rush the process. Wait until your application is the best it can be, even though it will likely take a year or more to develop suitable longevity in your ECs.

Thanks everyone! The problem my family is having is time but I guess in the grand scheme of things two years is nothing. So you guys would recommend not to apply this summer but to apply next year? That way I have time to study for my MCAT and get my extra curricular all in order. I am a biology major and I had some difficulties my sophomore year of college where both semesters I made 2.9s but I was able to come back by making around 4.0/deans list with my upper level classes.

Thanks everyone! The problem my family is having is time but I guess in the grand scheme of things two years is nothing. So you guys would recommend not to apply this summer but to apply next year? That way I have time to study for my MCAT and get my extra curricular all in order. I am a biology major and I had some difficulties my sophomore year of college where both semesters I made 2.9s but I was able to come back by making around 4.0/deans list with my upper level classes.

Exactly. Do not apply this summer. You won't get in unless your father is the dean of admissions, essentially. The average age of a student starting medical school is ~25. spend a year/two taking classes, studying, working in a medical field, travelling, making relationships, figuring out what you really care about. Once medical school starts, your chance of having two years in your 20's to be a young adult vanishes.

Don't see it as a setback. It's your opportunity to live life a bit more.
(this is coming from a 23 y.o. who has spent 2 years doing most of those things.)

Edit: your stats aren't actually that bad. I just was making a point. But good luck to you whichever way you go.

Exactly. Do not apply this summer. You won't get in unless your father is the dean of admissions, essentially. The average age of a student starting medical school is ~25. spend a year/two taking classes, studying, working in a medical field, travelling, making relationships, figuring out what you really care about. Once medical school starts, your chance of having two years in your 20's to be a young adult vanishes.

Don't see it as a setback. It's your opportunity to live life a bit more.
(this is coming from a 23 y.o. who has spent 2 years doing most of those things.)

Edit: your stats aren't actually that bad. I just was making a point. But good luck to you whichever way you go.

Do you think it would be smart to become a pharm tech?

Do you think it would be smart to become a pharm tech?
If no other health-related entry-level job is available, or you want to explore being a pharmacist, then fine, but don't expect it to provide you with sufficient active clinical experience, where you are interacting with sick people, that you'll need. Additional experience, like from volunteering in a medical environment where doctors work, would be needed, too.

1) So you guys would recommend not to apply this summer but to apply next year?

2) I am a biology major and I had some difficulties my sophomore year of college where both semesters I made 2.9s but I was able to come back by making around 4.0/deans list with my upper level classes.
1) Yes.

2) Whst were your lowest science grades during those terms? Did you repeat any classes?

1) Yes.

2) Whst were your lowest science grades during those terms? Did you repeat any classes?

My lowest science GPA would be a 2.9 because I was taking all sciences that semester. I retook calculus but I did not retake Organic.

I know being an ER scribe is another job that would help. Is there any others you would recommend?

Last edited:
Medical office assistant/receptionist, physical therapy aide, skilled-level nursing home or in=patient Alzheimer's unit aide, come to mind as positions that don't necessarily require special training or certification. ER scribe would be perfect, especially if you can find a place that trains you on the job.

Thanks everyone! Ok, last question my parents told me to apply to DO schools in the summer and see if I get in. Do you think I have a chance?

It appears that you've reached your plateau in taking the MCAT, so don't expect something magic to happen if you try again without doing something drastic in either the way to prepare, or the way you take standardized tests. For example, taking ExamKrackers seems to be well regarded amongst some of the posters here on SDN.

Your GPAs are good for low-tier MD programs or any DO, but it seems that for the latter, your best bet will be to try only the newest DO programs.

Try one application cycle and see how it shakes out. That will give you a year to prepare.

And if that still doesn't work, think about a different career.

Hey,

I kinda have a problem. I was part of a eight year medical program to go to a tier 1 medical school but I had to make a mcat score of a 28. Due to bad timing on my part, I started studying for the mcat the end of junior year and didn't make the score I needed the first time. I made a 24 and I found out July 1. I needed to have my score in my september so I decided to take it again after a month of studying and I made a 21. By the time I found out the score it was September and I had to go meet with the admissions board. They decided to give me another chance and I had to take it on January where I made a 22. They dismissed me from the program and I am about to graduate in 3 months. Because of this program, I do not have much extracurricular activities. The extracurricular activities include research for 6 months, shadowing for christmas break, going to a third world country and working with a hospital. I have a 3.52 GPA and probably a 3.3-3.4 science GPA. I don't know if I should give up on my MD dream or if I should try the MCAT again. Any thoughts?

StudentMDDO

If I am applying this admission cycle do you think I should get the committee letter from my school?