What would you like your Letter of Reccomendation to emphasize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarity16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Am receiving rec letters from several professors and each has asked if there is anything special I wish them to highlight. My input is mostly discretionary, but what is the best way to answer this question? If you are an ADCOM, what info in a LOR has turned out to be the most helpful to you regarding an applicant? And if you are an applicant, what did you choose to stress when advocating for yourself? I know my choice may differ, but I am looking for inspiration to get the ball rolling. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

My PS and hopefully my letters of Rec have a big emphasis on my teaching experience. I hope this will help my application stand out. For instance- in one LoR from a prior professor, I now serve as clinical preceptor for their current students at my hospital so hopefully she includes that in the LoR along with how I did in the program as a student. I also got one from my MD boss , again he hopefully highlights all the ems and clinical preceptor teaching I do, in addition to work function , etc. Another science LoR highlights my involvement in specific case study presentations when I was a student. Overall teaching and a desire to go into academic medicine is a general theme I've tried to build into my application. I'll let you know if it helps....

Members don't see this ad :)
A good LOR is a letter of evaluation, and not merely "Joe/Jill is a nice kid, made A's in my class, was in the top 5%, and will be a good doctor."

Hello all,

Am receiving rec letters from several professors and each has asked if there is anything special I wish them to highlight. My input is mostly discretionary, but what is the best way to answer this question? If you are an ADCOM, what info in a LOR has turned out to be the most helpful to you regarding an applicant? And if you are an applicant, what did you choose to stress when advocating for yourself? I know my choice may differ, but I am looking for inspiration to get the ball rolling. TIA!

My PS and hopefully my letters of Rec have a big emphasis on my teaching experience. I hope this will help my application stand out. For instance- in one LoR from a prior professor, I now serve as clinical preceptor for their current students at my hospital so hopefully she includes that in the LoR along with how I did in the program as a student. I also got one from my MD boss , again he hopefully highlights all the ems and clinical preceptor teaching I do, in addition to work function , etc. Another science LoR highlights my involvement in specific case study presentations when I was a student. Overall teaching and a desire to go into academic medicine is a general theme I've tried to build into my application. I'll let you know if it helps....

Thank you! GL

A good LOR is a letter of evaluation, and not merely "Joe/Jill is a nice kid, made A's in my class, was in the top 5%, and will be a good doctor."

Thanks for responding. I feel fairly confident they will be evaluating me; I suppose my contribution is then an added ( and perhaps redundant) criterion. That helps.