What're my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just looking for some input. I have a lot of 'W's and repeats from my younger, stupider days but what are my chances with DO schools with all the repeats? (about 6-7 years ago). Also, some of my non science pre-reqs are atleast 13 years old. Too old? My GPA is ns3.07, s3.15, c3.11. I have yet to take the MCAT (probably early 2014)

Any advice/feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Just looking for some input. I have a lot of 'W's and repeats from my younger, stupider days but what are my chances with DO schools with all the repeats? (about 6-7 years ago). Also, some of my non science pre-reqs are atleast 13 years old. Too old? My GPA is ns3.07, s3.15, c3.11. I have yet to take the MCAT (probably early 2014)

Unfortunately we do not have much information to work with based on your post, but a quick short answer is that its definitely possible, but will require some work. DO schools are fantastic in their holistic approach to applicant review. Not everyone is a "perfect" 20 year old applicant who has never encountered a single adversity in their life. Numbers always play a role because they want to ensure that you can handle the course material, but they will definitely look well beyond that.

I guess the questions are: What have you been doing since college? How have your MCAT practice exams been?

A 3.0 GPA is just above the "lethal" range that most people quote. Some schools will automatically screen out applicants below that level. One thing to consider (if possible) is to return to college and retake some of your less desirable grades. AACOMAS (The DO applicant system) allows for grade replacement. So it can quickly bring up a lower GPA and prove to an admissions committee that you can handle coursework in the present day.

Also since your GPA is lower than average for many schools. I would focus alot of your effort on that MCAT. It can never override a poor GPA but it definitely takes some weight off of it.

Also you want to prove to the school that you want to be a DO physician! So if you have not already done so I would work on gathering some volunteering hours and shadowing hours so you can get a DO letter of recommendation. Some schools even require it.

Its definitely possible, but I think you have alot of work to do. Never let old grades get in your way though. I have plenty of W's myself from the past, but have since moved past them. Good Luck!

Hi guys,

28+ mcat and you should get in somewhere....

Thanks guys, I'm sorry I didn't provide too much information, I have a few other posts with more details, has lots of views but no replies so I thought I'd try my luck here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1035392 is one of my other posts but I've copied some of it here since you guys are responding! :)

Just briefly, I was 16 when I graduated high school (2000), didn’t really know what I wanted to do with my life, and I also launched a passive aggressive rebellion against my very proper, very indian parents, so my early college years have a lot of bad grades and repeats. (Even I was a little shocked when I saw it presented so starkly on the AACOMAS website!) I matured and managed to straighten myself out and complete a bachelors in Radiation Therapy (2009) thinking I’d work in the field for a few years and go back to school. Unfortunately, I graduated right in the middle of the big market slump, and couldn’t find a job. So I kept my pharmacy tech job (10 years!) and recently (July 2012) started working as a clinical research coordinator (mostly oncology). Both of these jobs are part time, so I barely make anything and am constantly..unsatisfied.

I recently turned 30 this past summer and decided to bite the bullet and apply to med schools, which has been my dream for some time, but just seemed too unattainable.

I just have a few questions, and I hope some of you with more experience and insight will help me out.

1. What are my chances with DO schools with all the repeats? (about 6-7 years ago). Also, some of my non science pre-reqs are atleast 13 years old. Too old? My GPA is ns3.07, s3.15, c3.11. I have yet to take the MCAT (probably early 2014)

2. I’ve been thinking I’ll most probably need a post bacc program to boost my GPA. My bachelor’s was pretty physics heavy but I don’t have enough organic chemistry (most require 8 credits). I already have a 4 credit Organic/Biochem class (finished with a 2.6). How do schools look at combo organic classes? And if I take another organic class in the winter, will this be enough to meet requirements?

3. I’d really like to apply in the 2014 cycle, hopefully start a post bacc program in fall 2014 – and med school in 2015. Does this seem doable?

4. EC/experience wise, I’ve been a pharm tech for years, my bachelor's involved lots of clinic hours, I currently work in clinical research, and I’m also really active in my local temple (planning and organizing health fairs, educational seminars, tutoring kids, going with non-english speaking members to appointments as translator, etc) – any other recommendations?

Thanks again!