what's a "competitive" WS score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraaj009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of ppl saying the ws isn't weighed heavily. some ppl say they don't care @ all, which is more or less how I feel about it. However, I'm curious, and the search function yielded lackluster results. So...what IS a good score on it?

I'm not going to WORRY about it, like I do about the sciences per se. But I plan on writing some during fl's, so I want to know what I'm aiming for here.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an S on the PS the first time but my numerical score was too low for md/phd. I didnt focus much on this section at all on the retake, just tried to save brain juice for the BS - think it would bite me in the ass if my score in this section dropped to say a P?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. If your number score increases while your writing score decreases 3 letters, no one will care about it.

Aim for a Q or better. A Q is 75th percentile. Its not a big deal, but if you score a P and really low in verbal, it doesn't matter if you did great in the sciences. It comes off as a robot with no communication skills. Its not a section to worry about, and I don't understand why anyone would. We're all intelligent people here and have been writing much more difficult material throughout college, even as science majors, so as long as you have an ounce of creativity or social awareness you will be able to do fine. It doesn't hurt getting used to the timing and doing some during your FLs, it will also help simulate the total length of the test. In fact, I did better on the BS section whenever I did a full WS on a practice FL, because WS lets me refresh my mind and its essentially an extended break.