What's a good master GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewKidin2block

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I desperately need advice from people with similar experience. I am currently in a Chemistry Ph.D program. completed 4 courses and 2 seminar class. My current graduate gpa is 3.6 (yeah I know). I can possible push it to 3.75 if I I get solid A on 2 other classes in spring and summer quarter.

I know everyone believe graduate school have an inflated GPA. but what do you think is the right level of comparision between graduate school and undergrad? is A- in grad school consider only a B+ in undergrad?

I am planning to reapply for class of 2008. but I have very little volunteering experience.

Can any reapplicant with master in physical science give me some insight?

thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I desperately need advice from people with similar experience. I am currently in a Chemistry Ph.D program. completed 4 courses and 2 seminar class. My current graduate gpa is 3.6 (yeah I know). I can possible push it to 3.75 if I I get solid A on 2 other classes in spring and summer quarter.

I know everyone believe graduate school have an inflated GPA. but what do you think is the right level of comparision between graduate school and undergrad? is A- in grad school consider only a B+ in undergrad?

I am planning to reapply for class of 2008. but I have very little volunteering experience.

Can any reapplicant with master in physical science give me some insight?

thanks a lot

An average graduate GPA would be around 3.5-3.6. Most students maintain around a 3.5 or more to be eligible to various funding opportunities at my school (UC Davis). Higher than a 3.8 is probably the upper tier of students. UC Davis School of Medicine actually gives students an "extra point" on their application if they have a graduate GPA of 3.8 or greater. For undergrad GPA, you get an extra point if you have a 3.7 of higher.

As you may or may not know, most graduate programs boot students out for getting a B- or a C+ since a 2.7 GPA or less puts you on academic probation at the University of California. So going from that, a B-/C+ in grad school is probably a D/F in undergrad, while a grad school B+/A- is average (3.5 GPA) so would probably be in the C/C+ range for undergrad. A solid A in grad school would be above average work in the undergrad world (B to A- range). I wouldn't call grad school grades being inflated, but more compressed. Also the competition is much greater due to the motivation of ones fellow students.

I wouldn't put TOO much thought it comparing undergrad vs. grad GPA though. I would probably be more concerned about the volunteering experience. Whats your undergrad GPA if you don't mind me asking? Undergrad GPA is traditionally weighted more. Even with a high grad GPA, it may not overcome the low undergrad GPA. High GPAs, high MCAT scores, etc gets you into the application game, but your own uniqueness (e.g., volunteer experiences, letters of rec, interviews, etc) gets you into med school.