What's a typical MPH Term like ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_maverick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is a typical MPH term with 15 credits like ? how much study time is needed ? Actually, I wanted to know much time is available while pursuing MPH ? Is it sufficient to allow some research project within the same city but at different (pvt) institution ?

Members don't see this ad.

I know many people who I went to school with who were able to do 12-15 credits per semester and work 20-40+ hours/week and do well in their classes. Some people go to school, work, and other things like plan weddings, and manage to do them all pretty well. On the other hand there are not so motivated people who will get B's no matter how much time they have for studying. It's all in how much effort you put forward.

I agree with Adcadet - it depends on the specific area of public health are you inquiring about.

I got a degree in Health Education and Health Behavior (HBHE) in a two year program. Depending on the amount of reading that you would have, I guess I'd spend a few hours per night reading journal articles. Depending on the class, more time was also spent doing group projects (preparing for papers and presentations) - the second year of coursework involved a lot more group work in addition to reading, but overall it wasn't too bad. For my other classes, such as Biostats and Epidemiology (first year requisites) where there were weekly assignments, I'd spend a bit more time on those. My friends who were in Epidemiology and Health Services Admin were always very busy with assignents and constantly studying. Biostats and Environmental folks tended to fall somewhere in between HBHE and the Epi/HSA people.

It varies by school but the school I went to they actually arranged the classes so that the students can work during the morning and part of the afternoon - most of the classes were in the mid- afternoon. I somehow managed to work 20 hrs/week while in school but it was actually great work because it complimented what I was learning in school. I think most of the students took between 12-15 credits per semester and there were some crazy ones that took more. I actually knew one girl that worked two jobs = 40 hrs/week and went to school full-time but she always looked stressed out so I wouldn't recommend that:) As for study time - I actually thought grad school was easier than undergrad (more laid back) so I didn't study as much -but there were some classes that took up more time than others so it varied but it all depends on what type of field you will be concentrating on while getting your MPH (i.e. epi, BSHE, HPM, etc..)