What's average for debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shane41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For living expenses, tuition, health insurance, books, and instrument fees its going to cost me roughly $53,000 for the fall and spring semester as an out of state student. That includes all of the money for me to live on and everything (bills, etc). Is that really high, normal, low or what?

It looks like with living expenses ,tuition and everything, ill be in debt about 205,000 after dental school. Tack on about 10,000 for undergrad and i may as well assume $250,000 ill be in debt when I graduate!

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'd like to trade our future debts. Including undergrad, I'm expecting a tad more than three hundred. I like to think of it as the mortgage on my three imaginary vacation homes.

You need to assume an average increase in cost of attendance of at least 3.5% (avg cost of living increase), but I bet it would be more (some schools have had jumps as much as 10% in one year). Also, only that 8.5k/year will not accumulate interest while you are in school, the rest will...assume 7%. I get about 260k for just the dental school. Add in the int accumulating on your undergrad...you could be in for from the 272k-280k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Average debt eh?

If you are a Texan going to San Antonio D school then it's probably 25,000
If you are a mormon from Utah going to USC then it's 325,000

That dang Mormon tax. It gets me every time.

Average debt eh?

Texas schools are about 20,000 / year not counting living expenses. They are not as cheap as everyone thinks.

Texas schools are about 20,000 / year not counting living expenses. They are not as cheap as everyone thinks.

It's still half what I pay. Consider yourself lucky. :thumbup: