What's better: Kaplan or Princeton Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texastech1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a prep-course for the MCAT with Kaplan in 2010...took the MCAT and got a 21 but I did not study nearly as hard as I should have. I am going through the online materials with Kaplan now (rewatching all the videos, lessons, etc) and am doing a lot better but still am not confident in my test taking ability. I was thinking about taking one of those summer immersion courses this summer that Kaplan and Princeton Review offer. Both are about the same price but I don't know which one to take. Part of me wants to do Princeton Review just to get a new outlook on everything because obviously what I have been doing is not working but Kaplan is still good. If anyone has any experience or thoughts on the matter, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a prep-course for the MCAT with Kaplan in 2010...took the MCAT and got a 21 but I did not study nearly as hard as I should have. I am going through the online materials with Kaplan now (rewatching all the videos, lessons, etc) and am doing a lot better but still am not confident in my test taking ability. I was thinking about taking one of those summer immersion courses this summer that Kaplan and Princeton Review offer. Both are about the same price but I don't know which one to take. Part of me wants to do Princeton Review just to get a new outlook on everything because obviously what I have been doing is not working but Kaplan is still good. If anyone has any experience or thoughts on the matter, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you.

tbh, there's probably little difference between the two companies. it's all about how much effort YOU put into everything.

both are highly visible/national companies leading the multi-billion dollar test-prep industry.

Happy to help here! @Texastech1989 I just PM'd you to give you more info about your Summer Intensive Program!

Instead of choosing between the two from recommendations here on SDN, you should look up the MCAT instructors for the respective companies. See who is teaching the MCAT at your local Kaplan or Princeton Review course in the specific summer immersion course you plan on attending, and investigate their reputation. Try to find out past students of those specific MCAT instructors and consider their opinions. Maybe even go visit them personally and see what impression they give you. Go with the one with the more positive reputation/reviews obviously. How much you benefit from an MCAT course depends more on the instructor and the materials presented, not on the entirely.