What's going on at UC Davis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chestercat7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard that they had their second CA-1 leave in as many months. As someone always on the look out for advanced California spots that could be good for me, but if I were to try to fill that position, would I be going to a malignant program?

Members don't see this ad.

Good for them. It's way better both for the resident and the program, as long as the program helps with getting into another good residency. Unless it becomes a habit, it doesn't necessarily mean that the program is malignant.

Not everybody is a good fit for a program or anesthesia in general. Another positive way to spin this is that it is good they identified someone that wasn’t a good fit for their program/anesthesia early. Beats dragging them through till CA2/CA3 year then cutting them. I’d be more concerned if senior residents had issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not every program is a good fit for the resident and not every resident is a good fit for the specialty

In my own class we had 2 out of 11 leave after our CA-1 year. One guy who didn’t match ortho, started anesthesia, then left because he got a urology spot. Another left to do psych and is now a very successful child psychiatrist in his hometown. Both were actually good friends of mine. When I was a ca-3, the CA-1 assigned to me for his first month left to do medicine after 2months of anesthesia. He’s now a very well regarded interventional cardiologist at the same hospital I currently work.

The point of all this is to illustrate that people leave for a lot of reasons. The residents involved were all great performers and nice guys and I personally couldn’t have been happier with the program. That people change their mind is not a sign that there is anything amiss.

Last edited:
in my program someone got canned from CA-1 a couple years in a row. I think a significant number of people pick anesthesia for its image in medical school (the chill specialty that dispenses party drugs) and are shell shocked to find that it's hardcore acute medicine.

Reactions: 2 users