What's the best and most effective way to study biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist_dude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the DAT few months ago and I didn't do so well on bio section I got a 16! I studied AP Barron and then went over feralis's notes and did about half of the the DAT Destroyer bio questions along with the Bootcamp practice exams, but still I wasn't doing well. So what's the best way to approach the bio section to make sure to get 20+ on it. I'm planing on retaking the DAT in a month and half and wants to start reviewing now.

Members don't see this ad.

best way is to make your own notes. i.e putting concepts in your own words. This way, you will process the info in your brain and write/type it. you can use feralis, Ty or Cliff notes. I used a combination of these to make my own notes. use generous amounts of pictures and even draw process' like meiosis/mitosis, if you need to. It takes commitment, but if you do this with regular DAT destroyer practice, I believe a 20+ would be possible.

PS: don't just copy the notes. read it, understand it and then put it in your own words.

Reactions: 4 users
26 on bio:

Easily my worst section going into studying. I felt like a knew so little compared to everything that was covered. Especially plants. I knew nothing about plants. The only bio classes I've taken are bio 101 and anatomy, and my bio 101 professor skipped the question on plants. I also took biochem, but that was under the chem department, so not sure if that counts. So what I'm getting at is I did not have a very strong bio background.

I read a ton of people's breakdowns trying to figure out how they prepared for the bio section and the majority of them said that all the info from Cliff's AP Bio (3rd Edition) and Feralis notes were the key to success. So first I just read through all of Cliff's and then I read through all of Feralis notes while highlighting and stuff. Then I went through Feralis notes and tried to memorize stuff as I read. After having gone through all of Cliff's once and Feralis twice, you'd expect to have a decent grasp already. This was not the case for me. I still felt like I knew absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing was clicking for me. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated as well as nervous since I felt like I was pretty much doomed for this section.

I decided to go a different route that nobody else had ever mentioned before. I went straight to youtube. I knew that having a general background and understanding of the basic concepts was most important before starting to memorize stuff, so that's what my goal was. I didn't take any notes or anything; I just tried to watch and absorb the content so I had a general understanding. I watched videos in order of the way Feralis notes were laid out (usually there was a video for each bold heading, with a video for every sub heading in the anatomy section). I mainly watched Bozeman science videos (very good) and Crash course bio videos (also very good info, while the guy seems kind of immature and too try hard, it has good info). So from those two channels, I was able to get a very good general understanding of it all. For what those two did not cover, I went to Khan Academy (especially for the excretory system and kidneys and all that jazz). I would use Khan academy to supplement what you don't understand or want more detail about from the bozeman and crash course videos.

After watching these, I started to feel a little better. So I took a practice test on bootcamp and did terribly. Everything about the bio section in the destroyer book scared me to death. There were sooo many questions. I had originally planned on just going through Feralis notes again, but had a phone call with Nancy one night (helped write Destroyer), and she basically told me that if I wanted to do well on bio then I needed to master the bio section of the destroyer. There was no other way to do it in her mind (and now I agree). So in the span of I think 6 days, I went through all of the bio destroyer for the first time. I did 100 questions a day. I would do each question and then on notebook paper write out literally all the info from that question (and the solution to that question from the back) in note form. Every. Single. Question. In. The. Entire. Book. I probably have over 40 pages of handwritten notes So that took five days and then I thought I felt so much better about the bio section again. So I took another practice test and did terribly. I knew I was getting better though. I just felt like I was getting the stuff. The next time I went through destroyer, I would do 20 questions at a time and then score myself. Out of all 500+ questions, I think my best score was 19/20 and my worst was 11/20. After each set of 20, I would go through the questions and make a notecard for every little piece of information I didn't know. Seriously. It takes a long time but it definitely paid off. Make a notecard for it all. I probably had 3-400 bio notecards (I included more than one piece of info on notecards sometimes and some of the questions in destroyer are repetitive).

Then dedicate your time to going through the notecards. The first time I went through, I separated them into three piles: a pile of cards I knew extremely well and had no questions on, a pile I kinda knew or had an idea about but was not confident, and a pile for things I'd literally never heard of. The pile for things I knew really well had about 14 cards in it. Go through the cards every single day and eventually when you separate into three piles again, you'll feel so much more confident when you see how many are in your pile of cards you know. Then once you start to know these, take another bootcamp test; you'll see how much your hard work is paying off. I believe that if you know all of your notecards as well as all the explanations for information that shows up on the bootcamp bio problems that weren't covered in destroyer, you will be well prepared to score successfully on the DAT bio section. Seriously, make sure you know all the info in all the bootcamp bio explanations. It's just as important as the Destroyer info. If you need to make more notecards for those, do so.

Obviously each person's study habits are different and not everything works for each person. This just so happened to work for me. Hopefully you can pick and choose a few tactics that I used in order make something work for yourself. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
will be coming out with my bio notes version 2.0 this week. Will include an explanation and tools to help you familiarize yourself with the amount of concepts needed get a very high bio score

Reactions: 1 users
Do it! Do it! Do it! I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Make sure everything is correct.

***Don't worry people, when I get my 30's across, I'll give credit where credit is due***

will be coming out with my bio notes version 2.0 this week. Will include an explanation and tools to help you familiarize yourself with the amount of concepts needed get a very high bio score

Reactions: 3 users
Do it! Do it! Do it! I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Make sure everything is correct.

***Don't worry people, when I get my 30's across, I'll give credit where credit is due***

Lol I've been working so fast to update content I bet there are some errors in it. In the 2.0 update, I'm going to also roll out a way to request updates to notes (fix typos, add new content, etc.) To streamline the process tremendously and to create a framework to update the notes to make it the most comprehensive out there

I'm currently in the same situation as you OP. I've mainly been studying gen chem/o chem since it has been 6-7 years since I've taken the classes and have forgotten everything. A couple days ago I took practice sections in bootcamp for bio/ochem/gchem and scored 17/24/20. Now that I feel I have a good grasp on ochem and a decent understanding of gchem, I need to go hard in bio. I just started studying biology a couple of days ago but I have two and a half months to get that 17 up to a 24. I've been reading a chapter of cliffs a day but the details don't seem to be sticking. I've read about several people basically rewriting cliffs as they go though it and I think I'm going to start going through that and supplementing it with youtube videos for respiration and cell cycles along with destroyer. Once I get through cliffs I'm going to start reading feralis and tyjacobs notes. I actually took all of tyjacobs notes, combined them into one file, replaced his old equation sheet with his new ones, and had it bound in a nice book/binder. This has been a great help with studying chemistry and I'm sure it'll be just as good for biology. Tyjacobs, hit me up when you release the 2.0 notes for biology, I would love to get my hands on them. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
26 on bio:

Easily my worst section going into studying. I felt like a knew so little compared to everything that was covered. Especially plants. I knew nothing about plants. The only bio classes I've taken are bio 101 and anatomy, and my bio 101 professor skipped the question on plants. I also took biochem, but that was under the chem department, so not sure if that counts. So what I'm getting at is I did not have a very strong bio background.

I read a ton of people's breakdowns trying to figure out how they prepared for the bio section and the majority of them said that all the info from Cliff's AP Bio (3rd Edition) and Feralis notes were the key to success. So first I just read through all of Cliff's and then I read through all of Feralis notes while highlighting and stuff. Then I went through Feralis notes and tried to memorize stuff as I read. After having gone through all of Cliff's once and Feralis twice, you'd expect to have a decent grasp already. This was not the case for me. I still felt like I knew absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing was clicking for me. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated as well as nervous since I felt like I was pretty much doomed for this section.

I decided to go a different route that nobody else had ever mentioned before. I went straight to youtube. I knew that having a general background and understanding of the basic concepts was most important before starting to memorize stuff, so that's what my goal was. I didn't take any notes or anything; I just tried to watch and absorb the content so I had a general understanding. I watched videos in order of the way Feralis notes were laid out (usually there was a video for each bold heading, with a video for every sub heading in the anatomy section). I mainly watched Bozeman science videos (very good) and Crash course bio videos (also very good info, while the guy seems kind of immature and too try hard, it has good info). So from those two channels, I was able to get a very good general understanding of it all. For what those two did not cover, I went to Khan Academy (especially for the excretory system and kidneys and all that jazz). I would use Khan academy to supplement what you don't understand or want more detail about from the bozeman and crash course videos.

After watching these, I started to feel a little better. So I took a practice test on bootcamp and did terribly. Everything about the bio section in the destroyer book scared me to death. There were sooo many questions. I had originally planned on just going through Feralis notes again, but had a phone call with Nancy one night (helped write Destroyer), and she basically told me that if I wanted to do well on bio then I needed to master the bio section of the destroyer. There was no other way to do it in her mind (and now I agree). So in the span of I think 6 days, I went through all of the bio destroyer for the first time. I did 100 questions a day. I would do each question and then on notebook paper write out literally all the info from that question (and the solution to that question from the back) in note form. Every. Single. Question. In. The. Entire. Book. I probably have over 40 pages of handwritten notes So that took five days and then I thought I felt so much better about the bio section again. So I took another practice test and did terribly. I knew I was getting better though. I just felt like I was getting the stuff. The next time I went through destroyer, I would do 20 questions at a time and then score myself. Out of all 500+ questions, I think my best score was 19/20 and my worst was 11/20. After each set of 20, I would go through the questions and make a notecard for every little piece of information I didn't know. Seriously. It takes a long time but it definitely paid off. Make a notecard for it all. I probably had 3-400 bio notecards (I included more than one piece of info on notecards sometimes and some of the questions in destroyer are repetitive).

Then dedicate your time to going through the notecards. The first time I went through, I separated them into three piles: a pile of cards I knew extremely well and had no questions on, a pile I kinda knew or had an idea about but was not confident, and a pile for things I'd literally never heard of. The pile for things I knew really well had about 14 cards in it. Go through the cards every single day and eventually when you separate into three piles again, you'll feel so much more confident when you see how many are in your pile of cards you know. Then once you start to know these, take another bootcamp test; you'll see how much your hard work is paying off. I believe that if you know all of your notecards as well as all the explanations for information that shows up on the bootcamp bio problems that weren't covered in destroyer, you will be well prepared to score successfully on the DAT bio section. Seriously, make sure you know all the info in all the bootcamp bio explanations. It's just as important as the Destroyer info. If you need to make more notecards for those, do so.

Obviously each person's study habits are different and not everything works for each person. This just so happened to work for me. Hopefully you can pick and choose a few tactics that I used in order make something work for yourself. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

You have no idea how much this just helped me. Thank YOU for your input!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

26 on bio:

This definitely sounds like it would prepare a person for the bio section.. But may I ask, how long did you study all together for the dat?

Bout 3 months exactly. But I was also in the middle of my last semester of college. Had it been summer I probably could have done 2. I attached my entire study schedule on my breakdown if you want to look at it.

WOW! Thank you. I am 4 weeks into studying , 8/9 weeks away from the DAT I still need to schedule, and I'm starting to feel like I need to personalize Ari's 10 week schedule. I started May 19th (with several days off and most sundays..) and am on Day 25 so I definitely need to step on the gas and get going. I am in the process of applying and wanted to have everything submitted in early June but my last semester was really dense and a lot of life got in the way of studying. Can't believe you were able to juggle school and studying in order to get your scores for early applications, that's awesome!
I am making my own schedule now and couldn't feel better about it! Your biology sources really seem like a better choice for me for Cliff's Bio is too dense to memorize and I am very visual. Really hoping I can turn the next 4 weeks of studying into killer DAT scores but am kind of upset I hadn't done this earlier. I was starting to fall out of study mode until I realized I have to stick with it if I want to chase my dreams and know I could give more effort! I am actually taking next week off (peak fishing season in AK and my boyfriend requested it off work) and then coming back to power through and amp it up. I haven't scheduled my exam yet but was aiming for August 16th or so (I know it's late but I need to get more shadow hours and finish the application anyways, or at least that's my rational haha). Any suggestions on scheduling and/or studying? I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you again!!!
Very impressed with your scores! Congrats!

WOW! Thank you. I am 4 weeks into studying , 8/9 weeks away from the DAT I still need to schedule, and I'm starting to feel like I need to personalize Ari's 10 week schedule. I started May 19th (with several days off and most sundays..) and am on Day 25 so I definitely need to step on the gas and get going. I am in the process of applying and wanted to have everything submitted in early June but my last semester was really dense and a lot of life got in the way of studying. Can't believe you were able to juggle school and studying in order to get your scores for early applications, that's awesome!
I am making my own schedule now and couldn't feel better about it! Your biology sources really seem like a better choice for me for Cliff's Bio is too dense to memorize and I am very visual. Really hoping I can turn the next 4 weeks of studying into killer DAT scores but am kind of upset I hadn't done this earlier. I was starting to fall out of study mode until I realized I have to stick with it if I want to chase my dreams and know I could give more effort! I am actually taking next week off (peak fishing season in AK and my boyfriend requested it off work) and then coming back to power through and amp it up. I haven't scheduled my exam yet but was aiming for August 16th or so (I know it's late but I need to get more shadow hours and finish the application anyways, or at least that's my rational haha). Any suggestions on scheduling and/or studying? I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you again!!!
Very impressed with your scores! Congrats!
Oh you'll have plenty of time! Honestly I didn't really learn any bio the first month so I guess if you kinda start with my study schedule where I start watching the videos then that should be solid enough. But yeah absolutely make your own schedule and cater it to the skills and strengths you already have.

And I'm so jealous! Alaska is gorgeous. I've only been up there for a week on one occasion and it was so beautiful. I think we went during peak fishing season too.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh you'll have plenty of time! Honestly I didn't really learn any bio the first month so I guess if you kinda start with my study schedule where I start watching the videos then that should be solid enough. But yeah absolutely make your own schedule and cater it to the skills and strengths you already have.

And I'm so jealous! Alaska is gorgeous. I've only been up there for a week on one occasion and it was so beautiful. I think we went during peak fishing season too.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Back to studying after out fishing trip! That's awesome that you came to visit AK, it's by far my favorite place to be. We ended up catching about 25 red salmon and are processing them all differently now. It was extremely fun and the break I needed!

Anyways, I am starting the biology videos today and was curious how you chose which videos to watch for each sections. For example, I am starting with cells and am unsure of which ones to choose from Bozeman science and crash course due to the crazy amount of videos they have! How did you select the ones that taught you what you needed to know about each subject? Don't want to go down the wrong path and not get all the Biology info I need.

Thank you again for all the help, you have no idea how thankful I am for this forum!

Back to studying after out fishing trip! That's awesome that you came to visit AK, it's by far my favorite place to be. We ended up catching about 25 red salmon and are processing them all differently now. It was extremely fun and the break I needed!

Anyways, I am starting the biology videos today and was curious how you chose which videos to watch for each sections. For example, I am starting with cells and am unsure of which ones to choose from Bozeman science and crash course due to the crazy amount of videos they have! How did you select the ones that taught you what you needed to know about each subject? Don't want to go down the wrong path and not get all the Biology info I need.

Thank you again for all the help, you have no idea how thankful I am for this forum!
That sounds like an awesome time! I looked up videos based on the way Feralis set up his notes. And honestly I watched most of them haha especially the bozeman ones. A lot are only 4-6 minutes so they don't take up too much time. I would try to spend about an hour watching videos a day until I finished all of the ones that would fall in line with feralis notes. And then went to destroyer.

That sounds like an awesome time! I looked up videos based on the way Feralis set up his notes. And honestly I watched most of them haha especially the bozeman ones. A lot are only 4-6 minutes so they don't take up too much time. I would try to spend about an hour watching videos a day until I finished all of the ones that would fall in line with feralis notes. And then went to destroyer.

Thank you so much, so helpful! I really like bozeman, the crash course guy is annoying haha. I just downloaded Feralis notes and damn that answers a lot of my questions on how specific I should be knowing everything, even though it seems like the entire Cliff book... Can't wait to be done with this thing! Yeah destroyer terrifies me, even the math makes me feel dumb again, and I love math! I am trying my best to stick to the schedule while also memorizing everything I learned in the last 4 years of college, we will see how well it works out!

Thank you so much, so helpful! I really like bozeman, the crash course guy is annoying haha. I just downloaded Feralis notes and damn that answers a lot of my questions on how specific I should be knowing everything, even though it seems like the entire Cliff book... Can't wait to be done with this thing! Yeah destroyer terrifies me, even the math makes me feel dumb again, and I love math! I am trying my best to stick to the schedule while also memorizing everything I learned in the last 4 years of college, we will see how well it works out!
Yes! Haha he's so annoying. My roommates always gave me crap for watching him. But honestly I'd completely scrap feralis. There's just so much stuff and it's so dry and not formatted well (in my opinion). I'd just watch the videos and then jump straight into destroyer. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else!

Yes! Haha he's so annoying. My roommates always gave me crap for watching him. But honestly I'd completely scrap feralis. There's just so much stuff and it's so dry and not formatted well (in my opinion). I'd just watch the videos and then jump straight into destroyer. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else!

Perfect, that's what I have been doing haha. Just looking at Feralis to find videos related to each section. I am finding it hard to watch the videos because I was a Bio major so it's all old news to me, just need a refresher! Been playing them in the background and just started making flashcards for big things. Other than that I am on 150 for GC (absolutely despise) and OC (bearable because I enjoy) of destroyer and so far have learned quite a bit! Starting to feel like this is more doable now haha. Hoping the destroyer for Bio helps me out a lot too. As hard as it is, it is super good at teaching and reminding you of things you have forgotten or don't understand, I love it! Thanks for all the help so far, I think the rest is up to me being dedicated! Don't know how you did 60 destroyer problems, bio videos, and PAT most days.. I find it hard to keep up with that and I am not even in school at the moment haha. Life gets the best of me every time, but it's going, just been altering my schedule a lot haha =p If you have any other tips or tricks feel free to send them my way! Thank you again!!!

Ooooh I thought of something else. I am finishing my schedule so I can choose my test date..
Questions about your schedule:
1. By "Survey of Natural Sciences (Bootcamp) Exams 1, 2, 3" do you mean the seperate BIO, GC, and OC exams?
2. For your last week or so you just took lots of practice tests and went through flashcards, did this help you a lot? & is there anything else you wish you did before the DAT?
3. How much did you study per day (estimation)?
I am about a month out so I am beginning to panic a little, want to make sure I cover absolutely everything! Thank you!

Ooooh I thought of something else. I am finishing my schedule so I can choose my test date..
Questions about your schedule:
1. By "Survey of Natural Sciences (Bootcamp) Exams 1, 2, 3" do you mean the seperate BIO, GC, and OC exams?
2. For your last week or so you just took lots of practice tests and went through flashcards, did this help you a lot? & is there anything else you wish you did before the DAT?
3. How much did you study per day (estimation)?
I am about a month out so I am beginning to panic a little, want to make sure I cover absolutely everything! Thank you!
1. When I did the entire practice exam I would make sure I did the natural science one and not the individuals so that would help me with my timing, even though natural science 1 is really just bio 1, gc 1, and orgo 1. However when I went back over them multiple times afterwards, I would normally just do the separate ones.
2. I basically did all I wanted to do before taking my exam. Make sure you've taken all the bootcamp exams and understand them all and then also I'd recommend taking that 2009 test a couple days out to (hopefully) give you a confidence boost. Knowing destroyer is key. If another way is easier for you then go for it, but the flash cards were a huge help for me.
3. Umm it depends. Probably first month was about 3-4 hours a day with a couple off days each week. Second month was around 6 hours a day with 1 off day a week. And then the last month was about 8-10+ hours a day with not many off days. A month is a lot of time! There is so much improvement you can make in this time period!

Perfect, that's what I have been doing haha. Just looking at Feralis to find videos related to each section. I am finding it hard to watch the videos because I was a Bio major so it's all old news to me, just need a refresher! Been playing them in the background and just started making flashcards for big things.
Oh yeah I wasn't a bio major so this probably isn't necessary for you. If you think it's a waste of time then don't worry about it. I definitely needed the refresher on the basics.

If you have any other tips or tricks feel free to send them my way! Thank you again!!!
Umm not sure if you need this... but this is something I sent to someone about how I tackled the TFE section of PAT. Already wrote it up so might as well post it. Hope it helps you/someone!

Alright so this is the problem from Bootcamp that I chose:
2BSHkF1.png

You'll notice right away that the line counting method won't get you the final answer. Sure, sometimes it can help you eliminate an answer or two, but I found in the long run, it was just a waste of time because you weren't guaranteed anything. A lot of people say to try and visualize the 3-d object, but I found that was a little difficult sometimes. If you can do it, it helps a ton. If not, It's best to try and eliminate answer choices based on seeing what types of lines should be where.

So the first thing I do is try to find something that is very distinct and easy to find. So I look at the the front view and see the right angle on the right side. From the end view, this right angle will form a solid line because we can directly see where shape changes. So then we go to look at the answer and try to find that solid line. Every answer choice has that solid line right there, so we are unable to eliminate any answers.

Now I just move my eyes down a bit from that right angle on the front view and see that little indention. Because we can see the indention from looking on from the end view, we know that the closest line up from the bottom will be solid. This shows us that we can eliminate Answer Choice A.

Now I move up to that circle we can see on the front view image. If we find where that circle is supposed to be on the top view, we'll notice that it forms a cylinder shaped whole through the entire object (this is important because in some problems you'll see something like this that will only go halfway through or something. From the end view, we can't actually see that cylinder shaped hole through the object, so it will have to be a dashed line. But how many? The circle doesn't form any angles like a triangle would, so we should see a dashed line representing the bottom edge of the circle as well as the top edge of the circle. If we look at our remaining answer choices B, C, and D, we'll see that D is the only that has these two dashed lines, and therefore, D is the Correct Answer.

Notice we didn't even have to deal with any of that top part of the image from the end view. Speed is key in this section of the test, so instead of trying to find an image that will fit everything you see, I think it's best to just find ways you can eliminate other answers and decide on an answer choice from there.

Last edited:
1. When I did the entire practice exam I would make sure I did the natural science one and not the individuals so that would help me with my timing, even though natural science 1 is really just bio 1, gc 1, and orgo 1. However when I went back over them multiple times afterwards, I would normally just do the separate ones.
2. I basically did all I wanted to do before taking my exam. Make sure you've taken all the bootcamp exams and understand them all and then also I'd recommend taking that 2009 test a couple days out to (hopefully) give you a confidence boost. Knowing destroyer is key. If another way is easier for you then go for it, but the flash cards were a huge help for me.
3. Umm it depends. Probably first month was about 3-4 hours a day with a couple off days each week. Second month was around 6 hours a day with 1 off day a week. And then the last month was about 8-10+ hours a day with not many off days. A month is a lot of time! There is so much improvement you can make in this time period!

Oh yeah I wasn't a bio major so this probably isn't necessary for you. If you think it's a waste of time then don't worry about it. I definitely needed the refresher on the basics.

Umm not sure if you need this... but this is something I sent to someone about how I tackled the TFE section of PAT. Already wrote it up so might as well post it. Hope it helps you/someone!

Alright so this is the problem from Bootcamp that I chose:
2BSHkF1.png

You'll notice right away that the line counting method won't get you the final answer. Sure, sometimes it can help you eliminate an answer or two, but I found in the long run, it was just a waste of time because you weren't guaranteed anything. A lot of people say to try and visualize the 3-d object, but I found that was a little difficult sometimes. If you can do it, it helps a ton. If not, It's best to try and eliminate answer choices based on seeing what types of lines should be where.

So the first thing I do is try to find something that is very distinct and easy to find. So I look at the the front view and see the right angle on the right side. From the end view, this right angle will form a solid line because we can directly see where shape changes. So then we go to look at the answer and try to find that solid line. Every answer choice has that solid line right there, so we are unable to eliminate any answers.

Now I just move my eyes down a bit from that right angle on the front view and see that little indention. Because we can see the indention from looking on from the end view, we know that the closest line up from the bottom will be solid. This shows us that we can eliminate Answer Choice A.

Now I move up to that circle we can see on the front view image. If we find where that circle is supposed to be on the top view, we'll notice that it forms a cylinder shaped whole through the entire object (this is important because in some problems you'll see something like this that will only go halfway through or something. From the end view, we can't actually see that cylinder shaped hole through the object, so it will have to be a dashed line. But how many? The circle doesn't form any angles like a triangle would, so we should see a dashed line representing the bottom edge of the circle as well as the top edge of the circle. If we look at our remaining answer choices B, C, and D, we'll see that D is the only that has these two dashed lines, and therefore, D is the Correct Answer.

Notice we didn't even have to deal with any of that top part of the image from the end view. Speed is key in this section of the test, so instead of trying to find an image that will fit everything you see, I think it's best to just find ways you can eliminate other answers and decide on an answer choice from there.

Oh good, I figured you were just going back through after you took the full tests to practice the natural science section but wanted to ask! I definitely need to get faster at testing haha, never finish in time..
Yeah I have been going through destroyer and writing out each problem, making flashcards for oc and circling the gc equations and such, super helpful! You made flashcards from chad's study guides, correct?
Nice to know that a month will give me the time needed. Finally getting back into gear after struggling to study continuously for 8-10 hours when Alaska is calling.. Realizing this is my lively hood and Alaska is going anywhere haha!
For bio I think destroyer will be super helpful but still watch the videos to freshen up, especially on complex things like plants and vocal.
Super helpful! TFE is my least favorite, I seriously kill my score during that section overtime.
Thank you for everything, you have no idea how helpful you have been!!!

Do you guys have any tips on how to remember all the different hormones and what they do other than FLAT PEG?

Oh good, I figured you were just going back through after you took the full tests to practice the natural science section but wanted to ask! I definitely need to get faster at testing haha, never finish in time..
Yeah I have been going through destroyer and writing out each problem, making flashcards for oc and circling the gc equations and such, super helpful! You made flashcards from chad's study guides, correct?
Nice to know that a month will give me the time needed. Finally getting back into gear after struggling to study continuously for 8-10 hours when Alaska is calling.. Realizing this is my lively hood and Alaska is going anywhere haha!
For bio I think destroyer will be super helpful but still watch the videos to freshen up, especially on complex things like plants and vocal.
Super helpful! TFE is my least favorite, I seriously kill my score during that section overtime.
Thank you for everything, you have no idea how helpful you have been!!!
Good luck!

Hey man, first of all I want to tell you thanks for this great post. I am taking my DAT August 12th and have been studying for about 3 weeks. I feel like I am in the same exact boat as you. Coming into studying, I knew very little regarding biology and now that I'm three weeks through I still feel like things are just not clicking enough. I've been through 9 chapters of Cliffs and Feralis' so far but I feel like I'm just copying the material down too much rather than fully understanding it. I was close to having a mental breakdown this morning because I'm just so nervous about the bio section and I feel like its stopping me from fully studying the other sections as well. However, after reading your post it eased my mind. I am going to switch my study strategy to how you did it because I've found I' also learn better from videos rather than reading on my own. I just had a few questions regarding destroyer and how I should spend my time studying for the next 1.5 months.

1) So now I'm on chapter 10 (plants) of feralis and was thinking about just going and finishing feralis while watching videos and then start destroyer. You think thats smart, or should I just start on destroyer now?

2) Destroyer has a ton of questions, but when you were going through it the second time, how did you stop yourself from answering questions based off prior memory of the answer? I have a habit of memorizing answers once I see them, so I want to make the most out of every time I go through these questions without knowing in my head what the answer is.

3) You should you wrote down "every single thing" from each question on Destroyer. Does that mean even all of the wrong answer choices and explaining why they were wrong?

You've already been a great help to me man, and I look forward to following your study schedule and killing the bio section.

26 on bio:

Hey man, first of all I want to tell you thanks for this great post. I am taking my DAT August 12th and have been studying for about 3 weeks. I feel like I am in the same exact boat as you. Coming into studying, I knew very little regarding biology and now that I'm three weeks through I still feel like things are just not clicking enough. I've been through 9 chapters of Cliffs and Feralis' so far but I feel like I'm just copying the material down too much rather than fully understanding it. I was close to having a mental breakdown this morning because I'm just so nervous about the bio section and I feel like its stopping me from fully studying the other sections as well. However, after reading your post it eased my mind. I am going to switch my study strategy to how you did it because I've found I' also learn better from videos rather than reading on my own. I just had a few questions regarding destroyer and how I should spend my time studying for the next 1.5 months.

1) So now I'm on chapter 10 (plants) of feralis and was thinking about just going and finishing feralis while watching videos and then start destroyer. You think thats smart, or should I just start on destroyer now?

2) Destroyer has a ton of questions, but when you were going through it the second time, how did you stop yourself from answering questions based off prior memory of the answer? I have a habit of memorizing answers once I see them, so I want to make the most out of every time I go through these questions without knowing in my head what the answer is.

3) You should you wrote down "every single thing" from each question on Destroyer. Does that mean even all of the wrong answer choices and explaining why they were wrong?

You've already been a great help to me man, and I look forward to following your study schedule and killing the bio section.
Just letting you know I've seen this but am at a wedding rehearsal tonight and wedding tomorrow. Will try to respond promptly when I can.

Just saw this as well, no worries take your time man.
Yeah sorry it took this long lol I'm in Italy now. ALso, don't worry about being overwhelmed yet. 3 weeks is enough time for some people, but not others. If I had taken the DAT after 3 weeks I probably would have gotten a 16. Below is simply my advice. If there is something you don't agree with, then by all means tweak your study methods to sometHing that works for you. Don't just blindly follow this guide because it happened to work for me.

1. Umm I would probably watch some of the videos on plants (Bozeman has some good ones) to get a solid understanding first. I couldn't retain anything from feralis. After you take some notes and learn some stuff from any videos you watch, then I'd immediately jump in to destroyer.

2. Destroyer shouldn't be used as an assessment to see how you would do on the DAT. Bootcamp (and I've heard genius) are better for that. You want to memorize the stuff in destroyer! The sooner you memorize everything, the better. That's why the second time through I just made flash cards for almost every single bio fact (lots of flash cards...) then went through them every single day until I had them perfectly memorized. If you can read a question and then know the answer without having to look at the answer choices, I'd consider that a good thing. Don't forget to read the explanations in the back though about why the other answer choices are wrong. I also included those in individual flash cards too if it were something important I didn't know.

3. Yes, see answer from 2.