whats the best gameplan w/ 6 wks left!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakxman261

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright peeps. I have approx. 6 wks til my July 18th MCAT. I have been studying here and there, but for the purposes of advice, consider today my first day studying for MCATS. I have no job, and no classes, and am free 24 hrs a day for the next month and half to study. I have access to ALL Kaplan materials, both their books and online materials, as well as some additional topic based question sets. What should I do for the next 6 wks?? (the more detailed the analysis, the more helpful). I invite and appreciate all advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright peeps. I have approx. 6 wks til my July 18th MCAT. I have been studying here and there, but for the purposes of advice, consider today my first day studying for MCATS. I have no job, and no classes, and am free 24 hrs a day for the next month and half to study. I have access to ALL Kaplan materials, both their books and online materials, as well as some additional topic based question sets. What should I do for the next 6 wks?? (the more detailed the analysis, the more helpful). I invite and appreciate all advice. Thank you.

I personally thought that the Kaplan review books were amazing. I highly recommend that you go over each one thoroughly. Do not get complacent like I did and you will find out just how helpful they truly are. You may also want to take one test each week until two weeks prior to the exam. Then after that try to take one every other day. Good luck.

I am also taking the MCAT's on July 18th and applying to schools at the same time. Well what I do is that I study ~8-9 hours a day for the whole week. My study materials are EK 1001 questions, Princeton Physical Sciences review book and Kaplan DAT review book (I was doing dental before). Here is what I do:

9-11: Read a Bio chapter or any topic
11-12: Work on some Physics problems from EK 1001 Physics
12-1: Lunch
1-3: Do one lecture problems from EK 1001 Bio or any other topic
3-5: Read another chapter from GChem or any topic
5-6: Go over chapter outlines I made that day
6-..: Then the rest of the day is all yours to do whatever you want.

I've been following this plan since June 1st, so you are not that behind. I spread out the chapters I will be reading so that I understand the content by June 18th. Therefore, it gives me a 26 days to take practice MCAT's until the day of the test.

I hope this helps. GL studying!!!

:)

Contrary to popular belief, you don't actually have to work your face off for months to do reasonably well (assuming a few things...).

1. How did you do in your pre-med classes?
2. When did you take your pre-med classes?
3. How did you learn your pre-med materials (understanding vs. memorizing)?

If you did well, took them reasonably recently (in the last 3 years), and actually learned the material instead of memorizing random facts, you should not have much trouble.

These three factors applied to me, and I have been studying for 2.5 weeks (the test is this coming Friday). Most of the work that I've done has been review - how mechanisms work, why mechanisms work, what the f- electricity is, etc. Because the MCAT tests your ability to use information, you should READ over sections of information that you know already, or did well on in the past. Of course, you'll have to learn things from scratch if you've never been taught them in class.

My suggestion is: based on your academic personality, assess how well you know bio, physics, inorganic, and organic chem. Focus your efforts accordingly. Take a practice test - that will give you an idea of where your weaknesses are. Review old information, and approach new information in a big picture --> details fashion.

When studying, go from concepts and ideas to formulas. Ex: kidneys - what do they do? Where are they? What factors influence their activity? What happens if they don't work properly? How do they respond to changes in the body? Don't memorize their parts and structures (unless you have a ton of time left toward the end), but recognize that there's some ducts and a thing called a glomerulus, and learn where the kidneys' primary functions happen. Another example: Springs - what do they do? What are the forces on an object hanging from a spring? Now, imagine a spring - what happens when you put a golf ball on it, vs. a marble? Does the amplitude change? Does the period change? If the period changes, what happens to the frequency? Acquaint yourself with concepts and relationships, then think about formulas. This will better enable you to work with new information (which the MCAT might throw at you)

The moral of my story is: STUDY WITH THE GOAL OF UNDERSTANDING WHAT THINGS DO, HOW THEY DO THEM, WHY THEY DO THEM, AND WHAT HAPPENS ONCE THEY DO THEM! If you learn the formulas, know WHAT THE FORMULAS MEAN, and HOW THE FORMULAS RELATE TO REAL LIFE. A formula can be a bunch of random letters, or it can give you a mental image of how something moves/works/acts. Approach studying with the intent of gaining an understanding of how and why things happen, not getting as many facts into your head as possible.