What's the Best Way to Learn/Study Anatomy+Phys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snoozermoose

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on taking the MCATs at the end of this summer, and after taking a few practice tests have found that my weakest section is Biological Sciences, specifically the Anatomy/Phys passages. I've never actually taken an Anatomy/Phys class, and I APed out of Gen Bio once I got to college (but never learned any anatomy in high school either), so I have very little experience and it's starting to show. I've been teaching it to myself thus far using my Examkrackers book and some Khan Academy videos, but I've found they're sometimes a little too general.

Basically, my question is: What's the most effective and relatively quick way to learn the Anatomy/Phys that will be on the MCATs?
 
Last edited:
I'm planning on taking the MCATs at the end of this summer, and after taking a few practice tests have found that my weakest section is Biological Sciences, specifically the Anatomy/Phys passages. I've never actually taken an Anatomy/Phys class, and I APed out of Gen Bio once I got to college (but never learned any anatomy in high school either), so I have very little experience and it's starting to show. I've been teaching it to myself thus far using my Examkrackers book and some Khan Academy videos, but I've found they're sometimes a little too general.

Basically, my question is: What's the most effective and relatively quick way to learn the Anatomy/Phys that will be on the MCATs?

Anatomy is not on the MCAT. For physiology, I would buy a review book (the EK books are good) and just focus on memorizing it. Personally, I enjoyed TPR a little more. I would just read the sections over and over.

However, these books are meant to be review books. They are not meant to teach you. Maybe you should push back the MCAT until you have taken a physiology class?
 
I have not taken physiology and I have 0 problems with the bio related questions in BS. I think you might be better served to just relearn general biology...? It seems like that's where you are really suffering, because few passages in the BS section are actually anatomy/physiology, or require anatomy/physiology knowledge.
 
I have not taken physiology and I have 0 problems with the bio related questions in BS. I think you might be better served to just relearn general biology...? It seems like that's where you are really suffering, because few passages in the BS section are actually anatomy/physiology, or require anatomy/physiology knowledge.
Yeah, you're right. AP Bio in my high school was a joke; I ended up having to teach myself all the systems for the AP exam. I'm really kicking myself now for skipping Gen Bio in college...

Thanks to the person earlier who suggested TPR. I'll take a look at that.