What's the best way to study/practice gen chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KamG96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have started to review MCAT material and I was curious what everyone thought the best way to review/practice gen Chem material was? There are a lot of formulas and these formulas can also vary. There's also a lot of conceptual stuff as well. What do you think the best way to approach all of this material is?

Members don't see this ad.

TPR Science Workbook or Online passages were extremely helpful for me. I have heard TBR is very good for Gen Chem but I can't confirm it.

Go through the ek books and do all of their end of chapter discrete practice problems. After that, start tackling passage based problems

I use the kaplan review book and wikipremed. I used the official MCAT guide to make sure I covered all the topics mentioned. The AAMC section bank was really demoralizing but helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TPR Science Workbook or Online passages were extremely helpful for me. I have heard TBR is very good for Gen Chem but I can't confirm it.

I'm using the TPR hyperlearning workbook right now and some of the Gen Chem/Bio passages are pretty difficult. How would you compare it to the real thing?

I'm using the TPR hyperlearning workbook right now and some of the Gen Chem/Bio passages are pretty difficult. How would you compare it to the real thing?
Passages are not super representative but they are great practice for learning content and practicing reasoning skills. Most representative material is the AAMC tests and question packs.

Reactions: 1 user
I used the Kaplan review books and thought they were really helpful. For gen Chem I went through each chapter then spent a lot of time on the review questions at the end of each chapter. These are COMPLETELY unrepresentative of the kids of questions on the actual test but they are really good for making sure you understand the material and are practiced at doing pen and paper math. And for formulas, flashcards all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile