What's the best western NY residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Buffalo or Binghamton or Rochester? I've got a friend who's thinking of applying to pods and he asked me if I knew/have heard since I'm on here all the time. But I've never seen mention of many NY residencies other than NYC area. Plus it seems that NY state isn't a favorite place to do residencies, because of NY's lack of scope for podiatrists?

He's an older guy so I don't think he'd do it anyway but you never know. I haven't ever looked into it before in NY state, as I've heard too many bad stories about NY scope.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any info on NY residencies but I just want to let you know that a states scope does not affect you during residency. You are at a teaching hospital and you do whatever they tell you.

capo said:
Buffalo or Binghamton or Rochester? I've got a friend who's thinking of applying to pods and he asked me if I knew/have heard since I'm on here all the time. But I've never seen mention of many NY residencies other than NYC area. Plus it seems that NY state isn't a favorite place to do residencies, because of NY's lack of scope for podiatrists?

He's an older guy so I don't think he'd do it anyway but you never know. I haven't ever looked into it before in NY state, as I've heard too many bad stories about NY scope.

There are couple of residency programs up in Upstate NY. There is a PM&S-36 and PM&S-24 program up in Buffalo, NY (both are located in Catholic Health System / Sister of Charity Hospital). There is a Guido LaPorta PM&S-36 program in Binghamton, NY (Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital) and another PM&S-36 program in neighboring city of Johnson City (United Health Services Hospitals). If you were to choose between Guido LaPorta's Scranton, PA program and Binghamton, NY program, I would recommend the Scranton, PA program since he spends more time in Scranton than in Binghamton, NY. In areas further north of NYC, there is another PM&S-36 program in Kingston, NY (Benedictine Hospital) and a POR program in Montrose, NY (DVA - Hudson Valley). Those are the programs that I know in upstate NY. I would check the CASPR directory or the CPME 300 for any additional upstate NY programs.

As previous postings stated, NY podiatry residents get training in all aspect of foot and ankle surgery in PM&S-36 programs. In some of the NY programs, they get trained by Orthopedic Surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
capo said:

I would like to reiterate what Dr. Feelgood said about residency and the state's scope of practice. At a teaching hospital, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE STATE SCOPE OF PRACTICE IS!

I had a friend who did his residency at Sheenan Hospital in Buffalo, which no longer has a residency program. He told that while he was there he was doing all kinds of things, such as full leg amputations. The key to residency is go to a place where (A) You see a lot of cases (B) They let you do a lot of cool stuff.

Thanks for all replies. But here's a question. Don't many residents obtain their patient base from many of the patients they saw in residency? Thus, if you did this at a NY state residency that would leave you practicing in NY state and therefore, you would then unfortunately be restrcited alot in scope, no?

capo said:
Thanks for all replies. But here's a question. Don't many residents obtain their patient base from many of the patients they saw in residency? Thus, if you did this at a NY state residency that would leave you practicing in NY state and therefore, you would then unfortunately be restrcited alot in scope, no?

I agree with you. If you do a residency in NY unless you make it a point to leave you probably won't.

And NY will never change it's scope until pods stop working there and buying liscenses. when the patient population is at a need is when the scope will increase.

I would stay away from NY.