What's the difference between problem and hardship? (UCLA Secondary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherer1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The David Geffen secondary app has two essay questions, one of them asks to describe a problem in your life and another asks if you've had any hardships you'd like to talk about. I'm having a hard time differentiating the two, is problem supposed to be something small? The problems I've had in life fall under the hardship section so I don't know what to put for problem. Thank you for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Without knowing the exact wording and context I'd probably as approach is as a short term/incident problem vs a chronic long term hardship that affects multiple things.

My car not starting this morning due to a weak battery is a problem vs being too poor to afford a car is a hardship.

The David Geffen secondary app has two essay questions, one of them asks to describe a problem in your life and another asks if you've had any hardships you'd like to talk about. I'm having a hard time differentiating the two, is problem supposed to be something small? The problems I've had in life fall under the hardship section so I don't know what to put for problem. Thank you for the feedback!

Problem: finding the Tinder profile of a person you are dating.

Hardship: starting life in a tender age detention center.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your guidance! It helped a lot.

According to Jay-Z, and I'm paraphrasing here: everybody has problems ... sometimes 99 of them. But having a woman is not one of them. Thus having a woman (wife, girlfriend, etc) is a hardship. :)

Reactions: 1 users