What's the difference between problem and hardship? (UCLA Secondary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sherer1

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The David Geffen secondary app has two essay questions, one of them asks to describe a problem in your life and another asks if you've had any hardships you'd like to talk about. I'm having a hard time differentiating the two, is problem supposed to be something small? The problems I've had in life fall under the hardship section so I don't know what to put for problem. Thank you for the feedback!
 
Without knowing the exact wording and context I'd probably as approach is as a short term/incident problem vs a chronic long term hardship that affects multiple things.

My car not starting this morning due to a weak battery is a problem vs being too poor to afford a car is a hardship.
 
The David Geffen secondary app has two essay questions, one of them asks to describe a problem in your life and another asks if you've had any hardships you'd like to talk about. I'm having a hard time differentiating the two, is problem supposed to be something small? The problems I've had in life fall under the hardship section so I don't know what to put for problem. Thank you for the feedback!

Problem: finding the Tinder profile of a person you are dating.

Hardship: starting life in a tender age detention center.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The David Geffen secondary app has two essay questions, one of them asks to describe a problem in your life and another asks if you've had any hardships you'd like to talk about. I'm having a hard time differentiating the two, is problem supposed to be something small? The problems I've had in life fall under the hardship section so I don't know what to put for problem. Thank you for the feedback!
Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.