Quantcast

What's the difference between problem and hardship? (UCLA Secondary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherer1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
The David Geffen secondary app has two essay questions, one of them asks to describe a problem in your life and another asks if you've had any hardships you'd like to talk about. I'm having a hard time differentiating the two, is problem supposed to be something small? The problems I've had in life fall under the hardship section so I don't know what to put for problem. Thank you for the feedback!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The David Geffen secondary app has two essay questions, one of them asks to describe a problem in your life and another asks if you've had any hardships you'd like to talk about. I'm having a hard time differentiating the two, is problem supposed to be something small? The problems I've had in life fall under the hardship section so I don't know what to put for problem. Thank you for the feedback!
-A problem is your car breakdown in the middle of nowhere. A hardship is having no car for 3 years while struggling to get to work
-a problem is breaking up with your SO and being depressed for 6 months. A hardship is life long depression to overcome
-a problem is being the oldest with 3 younger siblings when your mom is recuperating from surgery. A hardship is your mom losing her job due to surgery and having to support 4 kids

A problem is something you deal with and overcome. A hardship is something that truly impacts your basic existence

Reactions: 5 users

smukke

Reaction score
Without knowing the exact wording and context I'd probably as approach is as a short term/incident problem vs a chronic long term hardship that affects multiple things.

My car not starting this morning due to a weak battery is a problem vs being too poor to afford a car is a hardship.

Reaction score

Problem: finding the Tinder profile of a person you are dating.

Hardship: starting life in a tender age detention center.

Reactions: 4 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users

sherer1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your guidance! It helped a lot.

getdown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Jay-Z, and I'm paraphrasing here: everybody has problems ... sometimes 99 of them. But having a woman is not one of them. Thus having a woman (wife, girlfriend, etc) is a hardship. :)

Reactions: 1 users