What's the REAL reason you want to be a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dont give me the sappy interview reason.

Members don't see this ad.

freedom. financial and otherwise. never have a boss (other than the mrs.!) ever again. tough day? rescheduele. want to go on vacation? go! that looks tough hmmmm refer it out! dont like endo? don't do any! tax write offs? you betcha! wanna feel like you can do some good (like your job matters)? boom! season tix to local sports team? of course! and you're a dr....how f'n cool is that. pretty cool i say.

In the words of a famous philosopher from Harlem:
"It's all about the benjamins baby."

Members don't see this ad :)
In truth, I have a insatiable tooth fetish... I figured "Hey, what better profession!" ;)

Aspect of freedom, being able to work with my hands, I actually do like being able to help people (really!), and most important of all for me, I think I'll be happy doing it for the rest of my life. (The money is a nice added bonus though!)

autonomy. i want to be my own boss and set my own schedule. i don't want other people ordering me around. i also want to have a stable job (can't blame me...at least three of my relatives have been laid off or lost their jobs recently probably b/c of the economy and another one had to transfer and lost all of his seniority). i also really do want to be able to do some charity work for poor people (including my family! lol) and i want to be able to provide for my family, take care of my mother.

also, science hasn't been that bad to study (its actually pretty interesting except i HATE the silly busywork lab classes at my school) i hate doing paperwork. when you're a dentist, you can hire people to do your paperwork for you. just be sure to be like "refer him to the periodontist and be sure to write it down so we don't get sued."

also, you can have more time off. you can work until noon on friday if you want. you can have money to fly wherever you want. i won't be stretching your wardrobe out for five to ten years like i do now and i'll live in a warm house with no drafts which is a HUGE plus lolol

p.s. going to dental school also increases the chances of me meeting a nice cute smart dental school boy to marry ;)

Money, Cash, Hoes. :whistle:

No money No hunny. Need I say more?

p.s. going to dental school also increases the chances of me meeting a nice cute smart dental school boy to marry ;)

that is hilarious, and if you are not intending on practicing, it opens up a whole new can of ethical worms..

(1) Job security. I have a bunch of friends who did investment banking and other crap in undergrad, and they've been screwed since this crisis started. Everyone needs healthcare, and if they put it off, their problems only get worse. They have to come see you sooner or later, so there's always business even if it slows down a little in times like this.

(2) Income/Autonomy. I combined these into one because they get at the same idea -- I like being in charge and being able to work as little or as much as I want depending on what's going on in my life at that point. And I like being able to set my own hours and making a decent amount of cash so that I have the time and money to enjoy my hobbies and to provide for my family.

(3) Honestly, because I couldn't think of any other career that interested me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If only these answers would fly in an interview :)

freedom. financial and otherwise. never have a boss (other than the mrs.!) ever again. tough day? rescheduele. want to go on vacation? go! that looks tough hmmmm refer it out! dont like endo? don't do any! tax write offs? you betcha! wanna feel like you can do some good (like your job matters)? boom! season tix to local sports team? of course! and you're a dr....how f'n cool is that. pretty cool i say.

Not with the new laws about to come out...

fo all dem fyna thangz holla at ch boi

still not sure why i want to be a dentist.

If only these answers would fly in an interview :)

If you present them in a mature and knowledgeable way, they do fly. I have a good buddy and classmate who, in his personal statement, mentioned that he was interested in dentistry because of the financial security, salary and the ability to have free time to spend with his family, and he clearly managed to get accepted.

But i still have 2 more years to figure it out

that is hilarious, and if you are not intending on practicing, it opens up a whole new can of ethical worms..

once again you show your amazing sense of humor.

decided in sixth grade when my brother got into dental school and I wanted to be like my brother. Since then I've just ran with it and surprisingly enough it really fits.

Not with the new laws about to come out...

whatever fool! i'm not aware of any change in the tax law that would close up the ability to LEGALLY hide a ton of income. a) own the building where you practice than charge yourself a good amount of rent. b) hire your wife as a consultant or accountant or whatever and pay her well c) you can lease your car and write a good bit of that off including gas d) you can go to very nice dinners w/ friends and write some of it off as a buisness expense (so long as you discuss a bit of buisness) the list goes on and on.

plus....obama is like jesus; but better. don't question el guapo. now turn off bill o'rielly and go get your shine box kid! haha (goodfellas reference)

-Money
-You're working under noone.
-Regular work hours

Prime reason - To find a quality wife...a girl who's smart, beautiful and compassionate. I'm from the corporate world where the girls are articulate and gorgeous, but they're vicious man eater...I'm not even kidding!

Also, I can buy my lamborghini murcielago and use the profit from my multiple practices to start a real estate development firm.

To make tons of money to buy all the MILF in the world.

I love microscale art (like teeth), and I'm a perfectionist* It helps that teeth actually have a functional purpose and not just esthetics.
I actually do want to help people.
Freedom with my schedule and good money/hours worked.
I only admitted to the first 2 in my interview.

*read anal retentive psycho with a tooth fetish :laugh:

( I am big on charity work) with the money I want to build an orphanage for the poor orphans around the world and also build an nonprofit dental clinic in my home country wich completely lacks the concept of volunteer work and giving back to the community (so sad).....yea i am serious about those and willl try my best to achieve them before I die hopefully

Last edited:
Turn off o'reilly? Turn off Olberman and get a clue. Obama said himself that he was going to get rid of deductions on all those earning over 200k to pay for his nationalized health care. He said it this week. If you want real news turn to the WSJ and CNBC.

You might want to study finance a little bit, because your list would be heavily hit... for instance, your wife working for you.... her income is combined with yours to form your AGI, so whether she earns it or you earn it, if it's over 200k it gets the same tax. Writing off nice cars/dinners works for a while, but a lot of IRS auditors actually look for people driving nice vehicles and then audit them just for the h--- of it. Get a clue. Obama is like jesus? really? you can't be serious.

i shed a tear for those poor souls who are getting hit hard. after all... they only make 200K!!!! boohoo. boohoo. there are a million ways to take down your income and in the end, when you're paying more taxes (like the top 1% of incomes should) you're life will be very comfortable. and obama is better than jesus if he brings about healthcare to tens of millions of americans at the cost of offending the bank accounts of the "elite".

this forum is for why you wanna be a dentist. from here on; let's keep the religon and politics out of it, or start a new thread where we can battle this out till we're blue in the face. -now go get your shine box!

plus....obama is like jesus; but better. don't question el guapo. now turn off bill o'rielly and go get your shine box kid! haha (goodfellas reference)[/quote]

doesn't that guy get whacked for busting joe pesci's chops?

totally agree with that. ;)

whatever fool! i'm not aware of any change in the tax law that would close up the ability to LEGALLY hide a ton of income. a) own the building where you practice than charge yourself a good amount of rent. b) hire your wife as a consultant or accountant or whatever and pay her well c) you can lease your car and write a good bit of that off including gas d) you can go to very nice dinners w/ friends and write some of it off as a buisness expense (so long as you discuss a bit of buisness) the list goes on and on.

plus....obama is like jesus; but better. don't question el guapo. now turn off bill o'rielly and go get your shine box kid! haha (goodfellas reference)

i like your ideas. :)

oh hell yea! That and because of my mother mainly. She raised me as a single mom and a dentist. She has all the time in the world for me and it has been fun watching her work. We're like bestfriends :) hopefully we can work side by side one day....if that one day ever come...sigh.
.. Oh, and I just want to be independent, being able to stand on my own two little feet.

Every aspect of dentistry seems like it would be alot of fun..:rolleyes:

oh hell yea! That and because of my mother mainly. She raised me as a single mom and a dentist. She has all the time in the world for me and it has been fun watching her work. We're like bestfriends :) hopefully we can work side by side one day....if that one day ever come...sigh.
.. Oh, and I just want to be independent, being able to stand on my own two little feet.

hmm..sounds like the recipe for a sweet personal statement.

to have hot girls in the chair with their mouths open LOL JK perverted

me too, but the opposite...cute dental school girls!

Money, Cash, Hoes. :whistle:
i believe it's chicks, money, power, and chicks

seriously, i've had terrible experiences working for other people while i was young, and i said to myself that when i chose a career that i would never work for anyone else. I shadowed a dentist and fell in love with the detailed work, the atmosphere, freedom to be your own boss, and the overall lifestyle (being able to raise a family without being an absentee father)

it's an incredible profession, plus i love the respect of being called a Dr. dentists are highly respected regardless of how some people knock them, they're just jealous because they didn't realize it when they were younger or didn't posses the dedication to become one

I see myself using my hands and working with tools on a daily basis. Oral surgery is my goal, but general dentistry would be great too. A good dentist is artistic and supper visual. You get to reconstruct and build and make every case an interesting task. Most see their future profession on a bigger scale. You must see it on a detailed level. Im looking forward to every part of Dentistry. I plan to buy a practice and make it my own someday.

I love this question!!

I love to work with my hands, and I truly love helping people. My dentist while I was growing up did a lot of philanthropic stuff in our community and is highly respected...you could say that's what started it all.

Then...of course, health care is my primary interest...autonomy, a comfortable lifestyle, and the ability to be a doctor and a good mom. It's important that I get lots of family time...my dad provided me with a wonderful life, but he worked soooo much!

and lastly, like Stephie said....dental school increases that chance of finding an nice intelligent dental school man to marry! :p

to have hot girls in the chair with their mouths open LOL JK perverted

LMAO nice

My "real" reasons are pretty much the same as everyone else's...financial security, stability, and flexibility in a job that pretty much lines up with my interests. It all works out. :D

To make best friends by being a gunner in D-school.

All the teeth that I get to pull out.

It's so much fun. You can wake up and pull someone's tooth out, how cool is that?! (I'm being half serious too, how many people can claim to taking other ppl's teeth out, you are like the tooth fairy but opposite b/c they pay you! XD)