What's the REAL reason you want to be a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanna be a doctor and dentistry lets me have my cake and eat it too :love:

Members don't see this ad.

ITS EASILY LESS STRESSFUL AND RELAXING CAREER WITH GREAT PAY....however it's kind of boring and sometimes disgusting...but dentists have great sex or so I hear haha

I wonder if dentists are HAPPIER than doctors and their quality of life is higher??? I would think so, but then again I hear doctors are really happy with their vacations, high salaries, and stress....some people like stress, it motivates them to do better and solve problems and they just run on stress....stress is like positive feedback...it makes them work harder until they achieve satisfaction and then they get their kick of endorphines and life goes on....haha am I crazy?

Members don't see this ad :)
however it's kind of boring and sometimes disgusting...but dentists have great sex or so I hear haha

I hear ya on that one, it is down right disgusting and boring. I rather go to into medicine and become a gynecologist so I can look at very entertaining vajay jays all day.

Last edited:
I wonder if dentists are HAPPIER than doctors and their quality of life is higher??? I would think so, but then again I hear doctors are really happy with their vacations, high salaries, and stress....some people like stress, it motivates them to do better and solve problems and they just run on stress....stress is like positive feedback...it makes them work harder until they achieve satisfaction and then they get their kick of endorphines and life goes on....haha am I crazy?

Dentists earn enough to take vacations too...and running a practice is definitely not stress-free either- dealing with patients, insurance, bills, paperwork, lab work, etc, etc...maybe not as "fast-paced" or constantly demanding as some medical fields, but I believe that is precisely why all of us in the pre-dent forums have chosen dentistry as a career.

p.s. going to dental school also increases the chances of me meeting a nice cute smart dental school boy to marry ;)

me too! :D besides the respect and comfortable lifestyle and you get to be your own boss and make your own hours :)

wally, dont lie

you just want to be able to kite more!!!!!!

hahahah
jk

Physicians can have the stress if that is what turns them on. Personally, I'll enojy a more relaxed career. As for physicians enjoying their vacations, there is a reason for that. A good portion of physicians work long hours and aren't able to take vacatinos as regularly. They have the stressors of their job contantly. They do have to deal with crap more. Therefore, when they do get a chance to take a vacation, they are finally able to release all the built up stress and enjoy things that they don't get to enjoy on a regular basis. It is more of a difference of night and day for them. Therefore, they do appreciate the vacations a little more. but that by no means is an indicator that dentists don't enjoy their vacations as much. They just don't have the huge difference of relaxed versus stressed life as physicians do.

Money - always great - but if that is what drives a person, eventually they are going to be more prone to hate their job (or at least not enjoy it). My family income may not be as much as a physicians , but I can guarantee I will enjoy life more.

As far as the stress motivating them to do better, I don't need that. If you love your job and have a passion for what you do, then that should be enough to motivate you to do better. If you love your job, you are never going to be satisfied with mediocracy. You'll spend that extra time perfecting your work to make your patient's happy. I know from my perspective, I am constantly striving to be the best at performing my prosth lab work. I know I see work in patient's mouths that I wouldn't be caught dead placing because I love what I do and expect to always do the best I can do for that patient. (Your best for a patient may not necessarily be the best that you can do.)

Another thing about the stress and how physicians tend to do better under it. Do you know why? When physicians are under stress, someone's life is on the line. They have no option of trying to do better. If a physician isn't stressed, then thre really is no need for them to do better because there is no need to solve a major problem!

I love doing things by myself, so the thought of being able to run my own business and have every detail the way I want it appeals to me tremendously. The aesthetic and practical value of dentistry along with patient interaction makes it a clear winner.

I always wanted a greater variety of toothpaste to choose from. ;)

Just kidding, I'm in it for the reasons everyone else here has stated already. Basically, being able to spend time with my family while having $

I love doing things by myself, so the thought of being able to run my own business and have every detail the way I want it appeals to me tremendously. The aesthetic and practical value of dentistry along with patient interaction makes it a clear winner.

sorry, i don't want to attack your reasons for pursuing dentistry, but I want to make some points in the sarcastic tone my posts are accustomed to:

doing things yourself? so you'll be your patient's receptionist, assistant and hygeniest?
isn't aesthetics the opposite of practical? do you also like playing both sides of the fence?

LOL, for a while... Dentists had the highest rate of suicides!! LOL! :smuggrin:

financial security. i want to have a nice lifestyle, be able to work 4 days/week so i can spend time with my daughter and future husband/other children/family, in general. i also really love helping people. i have a passion for making others feel better about themselves, mostly improving self-esteem and self-perception. when i was pre-med i was really drawn to dermatology for this reason. your skin is SUCH a big part of you and can really have a HUGE impact on your self-esteem and self-worth. your teeth/smile are the same way. plus, i really do not want a residency or internship and want to practice right out of school, so general dentistry/cosmetic dentistry is definitely for me.

surgeries...i love them. I would just love the feeling of creating something for someone that would make their (patients) lives more comfortable and seeing them happy. And the way of life, of course