what's the scoop on North Colorado?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I heard that they were just moving locations and whatever was rumored on the closure has passed. Just what I heard from someone who someone.

Here is what I have heard: Their sponsoring organization is cutting out residents (not just pods). They will not be taking a resident this year but will take a few clerks next year, but less than originally planned.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, big assumption, but if it is true that NCMC is closing, doesn't that seem to be a critical blow to the profession? I thought I had read that NCMC was one of the powerhouse residency programs?
 
So, big assumption, but if it is true that NCMC is closing, doesn't that seem to be a critical blow to the profession? I thought I had read that NCMC was one of the powerhouse residency programs?

I've never been there (a friend is a resident there) but I heard it was a solid program. I think it is still fairly new though and apparently, still establishing itself (which is nothing of concern for a newer program as it often takes years to work out all of the issues). However, I don't think that any of this is a blow to the profession, nor to the program itself if they are merely switching hospitals. This is often a positive thing. Tucker recently switched hospitals and last I heard, they were still around.
 
So, big assumption, but if it is true that NCMC is closing, doesn't that seem to be a critical blow to the profession? I thought I had read that NCMC was one of the powerhouse residency programs?

There is no word that they are closing just in a transition between sponsoring programs. Another solid program, Jacksonville, is rumored to be on probatation. There is a lot of factors, meetings and paperwork that goes into having a program. If one thing changes or goes wrong, there will be a "shake" up.
 
There is no word that they are closing just in a transition between sponsoring programs. Another solid program, Jacksonville, is rumored to be on probatation. There is a lot of factors, meetings and paperwork that goes into having a program. If one thing changes or goes wrong, there will be a "shake" up.
It's not a rumor. Almost half the Florida programs are on probation per CPME...

http://www.apma.org/s_apma/bin.asp?CID=165&DID=17030&DOC=FILE.PDF

I agree that there are a lot of factors that need to be maintained in order to keep a residency running smoothly. Especially when converting residency models and changing aspects for full compliance with the new PMS models, non-compliance areas and consequent probations will occur.
 
It's not a rumor. Almost half the Florida programs are on probation per CPME...

http://www.apma.org/s_apma/bin.asp?CID=165&DID=17030&DOC=FILE.PDF

I agree that there are a lot of factors that need to be maintained in order to keep a residency running smoothly. Especially when converting residency models and changing aspects for full compliance with the new PMS models, non-compliance areas and consequent probations will occur.

What does a program have to do to be placed on probation and what does probation entail?
 
What does a program have to do to be placed on probation and what does probation entail?
The CPME (Council on Podiatric Medical Eductaion) makes and enforces standards and requirements for residency programs, fellowships, pod schools, etc.

Here's their list of the standards for residency programs:
http://www.apma.org/s_apma/bin.asp?CID=393&DID=21626&DOC=FILE.PDF

As for programs on probation, it lists which standards they are in violation of on in the original residency listing link I posted (ie 6.10 is surgical cases and 6.11 is pod med cases). You have to use the two documents together to answer your questions. As for what the programs did to get on probation, what probation entails, or how to remedy it... I really don't know and it probably depends on which program you're talking about. It could be lack of cases or just failure to document well and get paperwork done. Your guess is as good as mine. You can poke around on www.cpme.org and answer your question to a greater extent if you have a lot of free time, but hopefully that gives you the basics and resources you need...