Whats the strategy for the RC section?

crizq0

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the right strategy for tackling the reading comp. section. Read the passage first and get the main idea and then tackle the questions? Or should i read through the questions and then tackle the passages so i get an idea of what the answers should be while reading?

Also how is the QR section like on the actual test. Did people have enough time? I took the QR practice in last years kaplan OAT review tests and it was 50 questions in 45 min. Which felt impossible to me. But it looks like the new test is 45 min for 40 question??? Was that enough time for people?

thansk.

Members don't see this ad.

I think its different for each person. If you have a good short term memory, then go ahead and read the passage first. If not, then read the questions first. Do whatever feels easiest for you, with the best results.

I haven't taken the OAT yet, so don't know about the QR. I took the 50 question kaplan tests like yourself.

Whats the right strategy for tackling the reading comp. section. Read the passage first and get the main idea and then tackle the questions? Or should i read through the questions and then tackle the passages so i get an idea of what the answers should be while reading?

Also how is the QR section like on the actual test. Did people have enough time? I took the QR practice in last years kaplan OAT review tests and it was 50 questions in 45 min. Which felt impossible to me. But it looks like the new test is 45 min for 40 question??? Was that enough time for people?

thansk.

My strategy was to immediately get the passage's overall main idea first (usually in the beginning), then skim through the text and try to get the main idea of each paragraph. Then get to the questions; by taking notes of the main idea of each paragraph, you now have a way of quickly indexing through the passage when you're looking for an answer. In other words, the notes act as a quick reference instead of re-skimming through the entire passage to look for an answer.

This technique works best only if you practice it a lot! Don't take the test without being comfortable with it first.