What's with these 4-week research rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you get anything done? Is it worth doing one for someone who has practically zero research experience? What should one expect to get out of it?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the chart review projects can be done in a week in terms of workload. The tricky thing is:

1. Make sure you are the first author. Last thing you want is you bust your ass off for a third author position. Fact is you can just socialize if you just want to get your name on a paper. I was once offered an authorship if I just proofread her manuscript just because we were gossip buddies. And that was a basic research paper.
2. Will your supervisor keep pushing the paper out? Just because you are a hard-worker doesn't mean your supervisor is.
3. Go to Chinatown and buy a budda charm so your work will not be scooped.

My second chart review paper was accepted in a IF=3 journal without revision 2 months after we submitted it. On the other hand, my first chart review paper, with 2x amount of work, was scooped, held off for half a year, some politics happened, got restarted, then took more than a year to get accepted in a IF=1 journal after two rejections.

So in summary, clinical projects are easier to get a paper out than basic research projects out but you still need luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of the chart review projects can be done in a week in terms of workload. The tricky thing is:

1. Make sure you are the first author. Last thing you want is you bust your ass off for a third author position. Fact is you can just socialize if you just want to get your name on a paper. I was once offered an authorship if I just proofread her manuscript just because we were gossip buddies. And that was a basic research paper.
2. Will your supervisor keep pushing the paper out? Just because you are a hard-worker doesn't mean your supervisor is.
3. Go to Chinatown and buy a budda charm so your work will not be scooped.

My second chart review paper was accepted in a IF=3 journal without revision 2 months after we submitted it. On the other hand, my first chart review paper, with 2x amount of work, was scooped, held off for half a year, some politics happened, got restarted, then took more than a year to get accepted in a IF=1 journal after two rejections.

So in summary, clinical projects are easier to get a paper out than basic research projects out but you still need luck.
Informative but very unsatisfying post, lol. Even more unsure now if I should even do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a 4th year rotation? We had one of those as an elective at my school. Mostly people used it as an extra interview month and to dick around.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, did 2 of these, used it as time for interviews and nothing got done. really depends on what you want out of it and your advisor/mentor though.

if you wanna work, you can put together a decent database in a month

if you just wanna chill and your mentor doesn't care much, its basically a vacation month

Functionally it’s a vacation month most of the time. By fourth year I had a number of projects in the works so I used it to nurse some along and did get a couple papers written as well as an IRB and did some data collection. I also used it to get my ERAS in order. But there was also a lot of down time and relaxation compared to clinical rotations.