What's your initial motivation in going into dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

• Artistic/scientific aspects of dentistry

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • I want to be called a doctor

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • To help people

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • $$$

Votes: 30 20.7%
  • Life style

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I love teeth!

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

lol @ helping people. you're going to need help after helping thousands. i'd say my initial and sustained interest is the combination of scientific and artistic skills with a focus.

medicine - don't know what im getting myself into. big question mark of motivation after residency. worries that i wont get the residency of my choice. holistic approach will turn me into an insane person, because there's so much to consider in a diagnosis.

pharmacy - work is too abstract and mundane. patients blame you for everything, because you're the guy after the doctor's appointment.

dentistry is just more under control for me...

though we need physicians and pharmacists...they're just not preferences for me.

after looking at everything, im here now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had trouble picking, but I went with lifestyle.

to make hella artistic and science

lifestlye and money....lol at "helping people" and "artistic aspects"

I want a family... not going to lie...

lifestlye and money....lol at "helping people" and "artistic aspects"

Not that money and lifestyle are bad...but dentistry is an art, and helping people...whats laughable about that? For me, its just a good perk of the job, but for some people it may be one of the sole reasons they go into the field.

This is the second ignorant post of yours I have read today...I would go over your motives again...tell what you just said to any reputable dentist and see what they say...I sure wouldn't want you as my dentist.

Last edited:
working with your hands, creativeness, working directly with patients, immediate results or nurturint something over time, science behind the work, bring some money back to the family~~

I WANT TO MAKE HELLA BANK THAT IS WHY I WANT TO BE A DENTIST..DONT U WANT TO MAKE HELLA BANK??:D:smuggrin::idea::rofl:

Not that money and lifestyle are bad...but dentistry is an art, and helping people...whats laughable about that? For me, its just a good perk of the job, but for some people it may be one of the sole reasons they go into the field.

it's laughable because of exactly what you said. It's a perk, not a motivation, and it's only partially true. The first dentist that I shadowed asked me what I was expecting to do when I became a dentist and I gave him the "make things with my hands" and "it's a art" thing..he laughed and said that most dentists outsource to another company to make the "art". do you really expect to be making bridges or retainers when you have your own practice? no, you'll take an impression and send it out. He also said that fillings and cosmetic cases lose their "artistic excitement" by the time that you can properly do one.

This is the second ignorant post of yours I have read today...I would go over your motives again...
I really appreciate an assessment of my motives from a pre-dent but I'll pass.

tell what you just said to any reputable dentist and see what they say
see above

...I sure wouldn't want you as my dentist.
:laugh: why do people say this? :laugh: ....frankly, I could care less.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am well aware of the process...I watched a composite filling on one guys maxillary incisor...he literally had one quadrant chipped off perfectly... not very attractive. The whole process of picking the right shade, shaping the material etc...is the art part. The guy sat up and was amazed at how good it looked.

I know I am no dentist or dental student but its obvious when someone might be a little...lets say not in it for the right, or even respectable reasons.

Just making a statement...and it would disturb me if other people had told me the same thing.

I WANT TO MAKE HELLA BANK THAT IS WHY I WANT TO BE A DENTIST..DONT U WANT TO MAKE HELLA BANK??:D:smuggrin::idea::rofl:

I am sure we all do. To me, it is a perk that come with the profession, and not my motivation in going into dentistry. Also, is making "hella bank" $100,000? $150,000? $200,000? $300,000?...this will be different for everyone!

I am well aware of the process...I watched a composite filling on one guys maxillary incisor...he literally had one quadrant chipped off perfectly... not very attractive. The whole process of picking the right shade, shaping the material etc...is the art part. The guy sat up and was amazed at how good it looked.

ehh

I know I am no dentist or dental student but its obvious when someone might be a little...lets say not in it for the right, or even respectable reasons.

You're not even in undergrad. Looking through your post history, you seem to be in high school. Who are you to decide what the right, or even respectable reasons for going into any field (let alone dentistry) are?

Just making a statement...and it would disturb me if other people had told me the same thing.

prepare yourself, they will.

You're getting a bit to into all this, searching through my post history haha...

It doesn't take someone in undergrad versus high school to tell right vs. wrong.

Laughing at going into a health profession because of the art/talent it takes or the aspect of helping people and saying basically "I am in it for the money" is wrong.

I didn't just wake up one morning and say, hey I want a Ferrari and a beach house, I am going to be a dentist!!! Sure, if I get in and through dschool and do good enough to have both those...Well great!! Its a perk of the job that you make good money..If dentists didn't make good money I probably wouldn't do it because even though I like it its a lot of school and a lot of work...Anyway, I don't think it should be the reason for going into the job.

You're getting a bit to into all this, searching through my post history haha...
it took 3 seconds (with your 11 posts) don't flatter yourself

It doesn't take someone in undergrad versus high school to tell right vs. wrong.
again, there is no right versus wrong. There is a personal motivation to do something, your opinion is obsolete for another persons reasoning.

Laughing at going into a health profession because of the art/talent it takes or the aspect of helping people and saying basically "I am in it for the money" is wrong.
And a g a i n, who are you to say what is wrong and what is right?

I didn't just wake up one morning and say, hey I want a Ferrari and a beach house, I am going to be a dentist!!! Sure, if I get in and through dschool and do good enough to have both those...Well great!! Its a perk of the job that you make good money..If dentists didn't make good money I probably wouldn't do it because even though I like it its a lot of school and a lot of work...Anyway, I don't think it should be the reason for going into the job.
:smack:

i am sure we all do. To me, it is a perk that come with the profession, and not my motivation in going into dentistry. Also, is making "hella bank" $100,000? $150,000? $200,000? $300,000?...this will be different for everyone!

when i mean hella bank...i mean hella hella bank...like 750k and above..that is why i want to be a dentist so i can make hella bank

Well, this is obviously going no where and post wars like this are stupid.

I just read what I typed at the end and yes it is slightly a facepalm, but not to your amusement its not what I meant it to say. I meant for it to come across as in my current situation if I didn't think I would be able to make a stable income after all the costs of school I don't think I would.

My main motivation would be to help people, but the lifestyle helped narrow it down to dentistry from any other medical related career.

How about 660 horse power with 0-->62 @ 3.2 (Lamborghini LP 670-4 SV)

20rpf6h.jpg

The LP 670SV is too expensive. A Gallardo will do just fine....And an older used year is comparable in price to a nice new Mercedes...so that's what I would do :D. I might have to spring for a Lp560-4 though, the LED lights are too cool.

This thread is depressing.. I hope some of you are trolling :rolleyes:

^^That hardly seems in line with a dentists salary.

I do not think money is the sole reason you should go into any career. That said I do not think it is out of line with a dentist salary to own a Lamborghini. Most of the 50ft Vikings and Bertrams where I live are owned by dentist I guess MDs just don't have the time. Also I have seen many cirrus single piston and even a turbo prop owned by a dentist... So I am sure if one of these dentist wanted to give up their $500k+ yacht or $300k+ aircraft they could be in line with a Lamborghini. While I would never give up an aircraft or yacht for a stupid sports car but to each his own....

I do not think money is the sole reason you should go into any career. That said I do not think it is out of line with a dentist salary to own a Lamborghini. Most of the 50ft Vikings and Bertrams where I live are owned by dentist I guess MDs just don't have the time. Also I have seen many cirrus single piston and even a turbo prop owned by a dentist... So I am sure if one of these dentist wanted to give up their $500k+ yacht or $300k+ aircraft they could be in line with a Lamborghini. While I would never give up an aircraft or yacht for a stupid sports car but to each his own....

i suppose if you don't have any dependents (or work like crazy) you could have those kind of toys...but don't kid yourself. You'll be living a modest, upper middle class to upper class life in whichever suburb that you decide to settle down in. The good money says that you won't have a Lamborghini and that you won't be living like a lottery winner.

Well average dental salary is $150-$200k. With the market rapidly oversaturating (particularly in large cities) and the new introduction of dental midlevels, I don't expect these salaries to move up very much. By the time us pre-dents are practicing, $500k to drop on a boat or car seems unattainable on a dentist salary.

Well average dental salary is $150-$200k. With the market rapidly oversaturating (particularly in large cities) and the new introduction of dental midlevels, I don't expect these salaries to move up very much. By the time us pre-dents are practicing, $500k to drop on a boat or car seems unattainable on a dentist salary.

Depends...

I think it is what you make of it. If you want to make a lot of money have have toys (500k is ridiculous to pay for a single toy though), you can easily do it...if you want to just remain in the middle class, you can easily do it.

From what i read on debt, i'm guessing most of dental students(or maybe only me) would want to pay off their debt first instead of a sports car. I am going to undergrad so it may be new to me but i definitely do not want to have loan compounded with interest and then more loan added on because i doubt anyone can pay the sports car in 1 payment in the first 5 years out of school.

Ok now on to the real question:

I was interested to Dentistry in my High school and love all the amazing things about it.
-Lifestyle
-Money
-Being able to support a family without worrying that i might lose my job tomorrow.
-Have ability to be your own boss or work as an associate.
-* And the number one thing is to have the ability to help people which in my life i find joy in.

From what i read on debt, i'm guessing most of dental students(or maybe only me) would want to pay off their debt first instead of a sports car. I am going to undergrad so it may be new to me but i definitely do not want to have loan compounded with interest and then more loan added on because i doubt anyone can pay the sports car in 1 payment in the first 5 years out of school.

Ok now on to the real question:

I was interested to Dentistry in my High school and love all the amazing things about it.
-Lifestyle
-Money
-Being able to support a family without worrying that i might lose my job tomorrow.
-Have ability to be your own boss or work as an associate.
-* And the number one thing is to have the ability to help people which in my life i find joy in.

:laugh:

LOLOL to the help people comment...go volunteer at a soup kitchen if you want to help people...

But seriously the ability to use your hands and the integration of engineering/art/science into one is a big motivator.

^
I forgot to add that becoming a healthcare provider means that i treat patients and could care less about them because in the end i am getting my money which is the main reason to become a healthcare provider.

-__-

How about 660 horse power with 0-->62 @ 3.2 (Lamborghini LP 670-4 SV)

20rpf6h.jpg

Amen to this. This car (Lamborghini's in general) is honestly one of my motivations to be a dentist. I still don't know if I'll be able to afford one, but maybe if I don't buy a house.....

I think there should be a "because medicine sucks and dentistry has not yet become a 'right' in the eyes of the entitled mammary state" option. :oops: