vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
Ok not to brag but I got a 23 on the DAT. I took the Kaplan course.

I honestly didnt see it as being that worthwile. Not because I already understood much of the information but because it seemed as if the huge white book that I was reading had nothing to do with the way the DAT is tested....

In particular, the BIOLOGY section. You read, read, read. Then when you take a practice test the test has absolutely nothing to do with what you read.

Furthermore, concerning the PAT section. The KAplan book is WEAK ! The objects on the DAT look nothing like what I saw in Kaplan. AGREE????

So, why in the heck did I waste $950 and two months of my life reading crap for?


Has anyone else experienced this pain? :scared:

I got accepted but I feel that Kaplan owes me a grand.
 

Typo

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
678
11
Status
My experience was completely different. I studied nothing but Kaplan's materials and used all their tests, and it helped me do really well on the test. I think I would've been lost otherwise.

You're right though, Kaplan's PAT materials aren't the best prep for that section. Aside from that, in every other section I almost felt overprepared (especially in Gen Chem).
 
OP
vertical bite

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
Hmmm maybe I am wrong then.


So, one more time, you thought the BIOLOGY section was of particular use?

It just seemed so long and boring and non-related.


Maybe I just wasnt feelin it.
 

TX Hopeful

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
124
0
Status
I used Kaplan products to prepare, but I did not take the actual course and I did very well on the DAT. I believe that their products are great in taking a monstrous amount of material and condensing it into what you generally need to know for the exam. Don't get me wrong...it's not perfect but who can predict exactly what will be on the exam.

As far as the course goes, I think it may be useful if you can't discipline yourself to make a plan and sit down and study. I personally am changing careers at 30 years old, so I was pretty motivated and disciplined to make sure I did it right.

Making an investment of a couple of hundred dollars to obtain Kaplan materials is worth it, but I really don't think you need the actual classroom instruction. On the same note though, if you want to do even better then I would also invest in alternate sources as well (i.e. Topscore, Examkrackers, Barron's, etc)

My $0.02
 

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with the statement that the classroom course is a little unnecessary, unless you aren't able to read and understand things on your own. Which if that were the case maybe one should rethink dentistry. I took the classroom course, and did not get much of anything out of it. The best thing is the review book which condenses your first two years of textbooks into one easy to read book. PAT is very weak, but its just to get your feet wet I think. If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased the books/flashcards and studied on my own instead of driving 30 min 2 days a week to a classroom. I have Topscore pro cd also which I hope will help, as I'm almost to the point of taking practice tests.
 
OP
vertical bite

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
TX Hopeful said:
I used Kaplan products to prepare, but I did not take the actual course and I did very well on the DAT. I believe that their products are great in taking a monstrous amount of material and condensing it into what you generally need to know for the exam. Don't get me wrong...it's not perfect but who can predict exactly what will be on the exam.

As far as the course goes, I think it may be useful if you can't discipline yourself to make a plan and sit down and study. I personally am changing careers at 30 years old, so I was pretty motivated and disciplined to make sure I did it right.

Making an investment of a couple of hundred dollars to obtain Kaplan materials is worth it, but I really don't think you need the actual classroom instruction. On the same note though, if you want to do even better then I would also invest in alternate sources as well (i.e. Topscore, Examkrackers, Barron's, etc)

My $0.02


Hey your .02 is well appreciated.

What was your other career (if you dont mind me asking)?
 
OP
vertical bite

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
IcemanDDS said:
I agree with the statement that the classroom course is a little unnecessary, unless you aren't able to read and understand things on your own. Which if that were the case maybe one should rethink dentistry. I took the classroom course, and did not get much of anything out of it. The best thing is the review book which condenses your first two years of textbooks into one easy to read book. PAT is very weak, but its just to get your feet wet I think. If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased the books/flashcards and studied on my own instead of driving 30 min 2 days a week to a classroom. I have Topscore pro cd also which I hope will help, as I'm almost to the point of taking practice tests.


Well goodluck brother !

You will do just fine, youll see.
 
OP
vertical bite

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
bump


does anyone care ?
 

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
80
0
Status
vertical bite said:
bump


does anyone care ?


From what I have heard I am just going to try to get the tests.

What did you do to get prob status???
 
OP
vertical bite

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
well the PAT was really weak....
 

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
80
0
Status
I have decided to take it as theres really nothing else available.
 

juggamynugga

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
164
0
37
san francisco
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys I am currently a DAT teacher for kaplan in San Diego and I will be attending UOP in July. I think that the Kaplan program has a few strengths and weaknesses. First of all I think a lot of the class depends on the teacher you get. If you get a bad teacher then obviously you would have a bad experience. My teacher was HORRIBLE. If you teacher actually told you to read all of the bio section then her/she was an idiot, that is a waste of time... the review notes should only be looked to for clarification when you don't understand something such as a practice problem.

I would recommend that all of you take the class for a number of reasons, (none of which have to do with me working for kaplan, after all I won't be teaching there starting in July and have no vested interest in the company) First of all taking a class really helps you to pace out your studying and keeps you focused on what you are doing. Second, the online practice tests and workshops are invaluable. The very best thing any of you can do to prepare for this test is to do every single practice problem that Kaplan has to offer and then IMMEDIATELY review all of the answers including those you got right. The explanations are extremely helpful. There are also many practice test on the PAT which are very close to what you will actually see. Overall I think it is a mistake to not take the class and in the long runthe 1000 is really not that much. To show how much it helped me, on my diagnosic and practice tests I was getting 16's on bio 15's on ochem and 14's on g chem with around a 18 on the PAT. After going to the class and doing literally every practice problem that Kaplan had to offer I ended up with a 24-bio 29-ochem 29-gchem and 22 PAT. If that is not results then I dont know what is. I agree the actual class part maybe not be the most useful, but the class as a whole is a worth while investment.

Hope that helps some of you.

nick
 

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
413
0
Status
juggamynugga said:
Hey guys I am currently a DAT teacher for kaplan in San Diego and I will be attending UOP in July. I think that the Kaplan program has a few strengths and weaknesses. First of all I think a lot of the class depends on the teacher you get. If you get a bad teacher then obviously you would have a bad experience. My teacher was HORRIBLE. If you teacher actually told you to read all of the bio section then her/she was an idiot, that is a waste of time... the review notes should only be looked to for clarification when you don't understand something such as a practice problem.

I would recommend that all of you take the class for a number of reasons, (none of which have to do with me working for kaplan, after all I won't be teaching there starting in July and have no vested interest in the company) First of all taking a class really helps you to pace out your studying and keeps you focused on what you are doing. Second, the online practice tests and workshops are invaluable. The very best thing any of you can do to prepare for this test is to do every single practice problem that Kaplan has to offer and then IMMEDIATELY review all of the answers including those you got right. The explanations are extremely helpful. There are also many practice test on the PAT which are very close to what you will actually see. Overall I think it is a mistake to not take the class and in the long runthe 1000 is really not that much. To show how much it helped me, on my diagnosic and practice tests I was getting 16's on bio 15's on ochem and 14's on g chem with around a 18 on the PAT. After going to the class and doing literally every practice problem that Kaplan had to offer I ended up with a 24-bio 29-ochem 29-gchem and 22 PAT. If that is not results then I dont know what is. I agree the actual class part maybe not be the most useful, but the class as a whole is a worth while investment.

Hope that helps some of you.

nick
Do you have any of those kaplan practice questions available which you would like to sell? Anyone know where one can find them w/o having to purchase the whole course for 1k
 

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
80
0
Status
dWiz said:
Do you have any of those kaplan practice questions available which you would like to sell? Anyone know where one can find them w/o having to purchase the whole course for 1k

I dont know where youll get them for a deal at. I know I paid 1000 for them and wouldnt sell them cheap.
 

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
413
0
Status
GENERAL TSO said:
I dont know where youll get them for a deal at. I know I paid 1000 for them and wouldnt sell them cheap.
i'll give u fifty bucks ; and i'll throw in 50% of my first month's net income right out of dental school. :D
 

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
80
0
Status
dWiz said:
i'll give u fifty bucks ; and i'll throw in 50% of my first month's net income right out of dental school. :D


thats funny. I have several dentists in my family.

If your serious, you are so green, it will take months before you are out of the red if you start your own practice.

It took my parents a couple of years before they started to see good income.
 

Gurl21

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
366
0
Status
juggamynugga said:
Hey guys I am currently a DAT teacher for kaplan in San Diego and I will be attending UOP in July. I think that the Kaplan program has a few strengths and weaknesses. First of all I think a lot of the class depends on the teacher you get. If you get a bad teacher then obviously you would have a bad experience. My teacher was HORRIBLE. If you teacher actually told you to read all of the bio section then her/she was an idiot, that is a waste of time... the review notes should only be looked to for clarification when you don't understand something such as a practice problem.

I would recommend that all of you take the class for a number of reasons, (none of which have to do with me working for kaplan, after all I won't be teaching there starting in July and have no vested interest in the company) First of all taking a class really helps you to pace out your studying and keeps you focused on what you are doing. Second, the online practice tests and workshops are invaluable. The very best thing any of you can do to prepare for this test is to do every single practice problem that Kaplan has to offer and then IMMEDIATELY review all of the answers including those you got right. The explanations are extremely helpful. There are also many practice test on the PAT which are very close to what you will actually see. Overall I think it is a mistake to not take the class and in the long runthe 1000 is really not that much. To show how much it helped me, on my diagnosic and practice tests I was getting 16's on bio 15's on ochem and 14's on g chem with around a 18 on the PAT. After going to the class and doing literally every practice problem that Kaplan had to offer I ended up with a 24-bio 29-ochem 29-gchem and 22 PAT. If that is not results then I dont know what is. I agree the actual class part maybe not be the most useful, but the class as a whole is a worth while investment.

Hope that helps some of you.

nick
woww..excellent scores nick! :thumbup: did you use any other resources for gchem and ochem besides kaplan? or did kaplan adequately prepare you in those sections? thanks, and congrats!
 

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
413
0
Status
GENERAL TSO said:
thats funny. I have several dentists in my family.

If your serious, you are so green, it will take months before you are out of the red if you start your own practice.

It took my parents a couple of years before they started to see good income.
if i make nothing, u can have 50% of it :D ; do we have a deal
 

joobs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
66
0
Status
I cant believe this verticle bite character is being cool... I sense a little bi-polar.
 
OP
vertical bite

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
joobs said:
I cant believe this verticle bite character is being cool... I sense a little bi-polar.


LEAVE ME ALONE ! :mad:
 

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
406
0
35
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
joobs said:
I cant believe this verticle bite character is being cool... I sense a little bi-polar.
Maybe its a hormone imbalence.