Whats YOUR secret keeping up with studying, work, sleeping, and living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDavoodi_Co

Illiterate
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today competetion is getting more and more fierced.

Take me for example, I'm taking 22 units next fall, took 21 units last spring, work from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM, Volunteer at a reputable hospital, and studying to become a stockbroker while studying for the Pre-med stuff!
NOW,
> I excercise
> I eat a healthy diet (semi, atleast)
> I have a semi-balanced social life,

>> Yet, like most people in my position, im exhausted all the time.

I'm sure there are millions of other students like me, and what I'm interested in knowing, is what else do you guys do in order to keep up with everyday. Personally, i'm wrecked, tired, and sleep just doesn't do it for me. Do you guys have any advice?, and for the people who are already doctors, any MEDICAL advice? Thank you very much, I hope this is the right place to post this forum!. ~~~~~> Don't be shy, and write all you want! - Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, it helped me a lot to get a pocket organizer, one of those electronic things. I realized that I was constantly thinking about what I needed to do, even while resting or relaxing, just because I was afraid I'd forget to do something. Writing it down let me loosen up a bit just because I felt like I could always glance at the list when I needed to.

I also try to enjoy a lower-key social life so that hanging out with friends can also be a type of rest... otherwise, just work hard, play hard.

I still feel tired many times, but not the wrecked tiredness where "sleep doesn't do it" anymore.

good luck!

I just take one hour at a time so I don't think about how much it sucks, then catch sleep when I can, drink Monster (the low carb) when I can't :laugh:

Exercise really helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
MDavoodi_Co said:

Take me for example, I'm taking 22 units next fall, took 21 units last spring, work from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM, Volunteer at a reputable hospital, and studying to become a stockbroker while studying for the Pre-med stuff!
NOW,
> I excercise

I'm sure there are millions of other students like me, and what I'm interested in knowing, is what else do you guys do in order to keep up with everyday. Personally, i'm wrecked, tired, and sleep just doesn't do it for me. Do you guys have any advice?, and for the people who are already doctors, any MEDICAL advice? Thank you very much, I hope this is the right place to post this forum!. ~~~~~> Don't be shy, and write all you want! - Mike

Maybe try to cut down you school load, 22 units (credits?) is a lot for one semester.

I don't know if there is a secret, you have to find what accommodates you best.

(Read the following knowing I always took 16-17 hrs loads, but usually 3-4 sciences at a time (one semester it was 5!! :eek: ...I did just fine ;) )

In my case, I tried to schedule my classes in a way that I went from 12pm to 4pm or something close. I concentrate better in the morning, so I got the best grades when I could study for my classes BEFORE I went into the class. I would get up early (7ish) and study until class started (great for quiz-studying). 5 hours of daily studying in the morning do TONS for your grades.

This scheduling technique also helps during exams because instead of waking up after studying until late the night before and rushing straight into the exam, you have time to REVIEW the material once more, and reinforce it. This also does wonders not only for grades, but for long term memorization.

After class, I would usually go to work, then come home and watch Friends or something else, for about 1hr, sometimes more, depending on how I felt.

I would try to study some more at night but it is harder for me to concentrate because I'm already tired at that point, or if something happened during the day that put you in a bad mood...well, you know it happens sometimes ...and besides, who wants to study when Dr. House is on and you can watch that instead???? Not me. :D

Also, if you are studying and just CAN'T go on, can't focus anymore, DON'T FORCE YOURSELF. Give it up for a while and go watch some TV or talk to friends.

Most importantly, never skip meals. Being hungry is the worst. Always eat if you are hungry. Even if it means giving up O-chem for half an hour.

As far as work goes, I would work about 2 hrs on tuesdays, 2hrs on thursdays, and most of my hours I would put in Friday nights (5-6 hours) and Saturdays (all day, mostly, 8am to 8pm), and I worked Sunday mornings for 2 or 3 hours. I had a flexible job that let me have this kind of schedule (I quit because I don't want this job during my senior year, to tell you the truth it was a crappy crappy job in terms of self-worth, I couldn't put up with being there much longer. Hoping for an office job next year ;) ).

I didn't like to work much during weekdays because I liked to do homework/study for exams/quizzes during that time. Also, I arranged to have Sunday afternoons/evenings off for the same reason.

I hope that helps. :love:

MDavoodi_Co said:

NOW,
> I excercise

Oh. My. God.

Am i the only SDNer who think this is a ridiculous amount of work??

Dr.Acula said:
Oh. My. God.

Am i the only SDNer who think this is a ridiculous amount of work??

Nope. I do too. It's overkill IMO.

Bah. 22's nothing. Since sopho year, I've averaged 24-28. But it is a lot. I'd recommend finding a balance that works for you. 6 classes of science, for example, aren't much fun unless you're a fan of them.

whoa whoa whoa. what is this units thing, is it for quarter systems? My school has semesters, what would 22 translate to?

Rafa said:
Bah. 22's nothing. Since sopho year, I've averaged 24-28. But it is a lot. I'd recommend finding a balance that works for you. 6 classes of science, for example, aren't much fun unless you're a fan of them.

If units = credits, 22 is typicall not even allowed, and 24-28 is un-human.....absolutely ridiculous.

but what are units anyway? how many units is a general course (without a lab)

MDavoodi_Co said:
NOW,
> I excercise

I have similar schedule to you, 20+ units/quarter, work, sports, research, hobbies, extra-curriculars, and I'm actually getting my real estate brokers license. I'm fortunate in that I retain info and work quickly (and my school isn't too hard) so I can get by on the academics by cramming a bit and going to class.

I try to make sure that I get 8 hours of sleep per day no matter what. If I don't sleep, my performance is total crap the next day--I have to sleep early and screw up my schedule to get back in-sync. Also, I find that if I stop going to the gym I get more tired than if I do go. When I go out, I don't drink too much. Being hungover totally destroys my next day's plans.

Don't stress. In my experience, stressing has only lowered my performance. I think it makes me worse off if I worry about things too much. I guess that a little bit is good for you in the sense that it motivates you, but being anxious and nervewracked all the time can't be good. If you can't handle the load you carry, reduce the amount of classes you take or cut back on the extracurriculars, or even the work if you're spending the cash on girls/toys instead of rent and necessities.

ironmanf14 said:
If units = credits, 22 is typicall not even allowed, and 24-28 is un-human.....absolutely ridiculous.

yea, i usually take about 14 credits a semester (with 3 being sciences with labs most of the time) and thats enough for me. I don't think its possible for a pre-med student to take more than 18 hours and still maintain a high GPA.

Dr.Acula said:
yea, i usually take about 14 credits a semester (with 3 being sciences with labs most of the time) and thats enough for me. I don't think its possible for a pre-med student to take more than 18 hours and still maintain a high GPA.

I averaged 16 +/- 2 credits a semester, finished a little late (1st summer term) with 138 credits, but came in with 8 AP credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
ironmanf14 said:

We're talking about semester hours - which I think in this case are also credits. Typically, with schools on the semester system, the average class carries 4 semester hours per credit. At some schools it's 3. But when it's 4h (which I think most semester schools are), then 22 credits = 5.5 classes. Which is busy, but doable, depending on the person and the classes.

Rafa said:

rafa, u got competetion, im gonna try to beat ur units LOL

dsh said:
I have similar schedule to you, 20+ units/quarter, work, sports, research, hobbies, extra-curriculars, and I'm actually getting my real estate brokers license. I'm fortunate in that I retain info and work quickly (and my school isn't too hard) so I can get by on the academics by cramming a bit and going to class.

I try to make sure that I get 8 hours of sleep per day no matter what. If I don't sleep, my performance is total crap the next day--I have to sleep early and screw up my schedule to get back in-sync. Also, I find that if I stop going to the gym I get more tired than if I do go. When I go out, I don't drink too much. Being hungover totally destroys my next day's plans.

Don't stress. In my experience, stressing has only lowered my performance. I think it makes me worse off if I worry about things too much. I guess that a little bit is good for you in the sense that it motivates you, but being anxious and nervewracked all the time can't be good. If you can't handle the load you carry, reduce the amount of classes you take or cut back on the extracurriculars, or even the work if you're spending the cash on girls/toys instead of rent and necessities.

Thanks. Im stressing like crazy these dayz.

All you hard-working people have my respect. It's actually inspiring.

Rafa said:
We're talking about semester hours - which I think in this case are also credits. Typically, with schools on the semester system, the average class carries 4 semester hours per credit. At some schools it's 3. But when it's 4h (which I think most semester schools are), then 22 credits = 5.5 classes. Which is busy, but doable, depending on the person and the classes.

I was under the impression that the average class (without a lab) was 3 credits (3 days a week, 1 hour per day), although many of my classes were also 4 credits, and I had a few classes that were 5 credits.

I don't think 22 credits is allowed at Penn State (maybe 23 at max, i forget) , though I know at many schools it is. 24-28 is just plain ridiculous.

ironmanf14 said:
I was under the impression that the average class (without a lab) was 3 credits (3 days a week, 1 hour per day), although many of my classes were also 4 credits, and I had a few classes that were 5 credits.

I don't think 22 credits is allowed at Penn State (maybe 23 at max, i forget) , though I know at many schools it is. 24-28 is just plain ridiculous.

Thats how it is at hour school. 3 credits = 3 hours a week. 4 credits = 3 hours a week plus 3 hours one day a week for lab. We don't have 5 credits.

ironmanf14 said:

I don't know - I guess it varies. Over here, a 4 credit class (no lab) is either 3 or 5 hours a week. The five hour/week classes are 3 hours of lecture and 2 1 hour recitations. I do agree that 28 is ridiculous :^) At a certain point, the advantage of racking classes in is outweighed by the extra strain of juggling each one in your head (not to mention getting the work done for them).

My answer was always to ignore studying. I usually only took 15-16 hours/semester, but made it through without much work. Definitely helped keep me rested.

MDavoodi_Co said:

NOW,
> I excercise

Without a doubt, the best way to juggle everything is to stay organized.

This not only includes keeping track of all your tasks, but knowing when you perform best, when you need to rest, and what your breaking point is (and making sure that you steer-clear of it) etc.

Finally, you should always make sure that you stick to your schedule, no matter how odd it is as long as it works (for ex. I would take a 3 hour nap right when I got home and stayed up till the early morning...very odd, but it worked fine.)

Anyway, best of luck, and don't overstress yourself.
-Dr. P.

i cut class
gives me extra time to sleep in the morning, which makes me more productive the rest of the day.

of course, you can only do this with lectures, not sections or labs

(no, this is not a joke post)

ESzczesniak said:
My answer was always to ignore studying. I usually only took 15-16 hours/semester, but made it through without much work. Definitely helped keep me rested.
hahaha, ya
fluke and cram were all i needed, especially fluke :thumbup:

Crazy units/credits! I took 13-18 credits per semester. Our orgo lab was 1 credit for 6 hours. Was this true for anyone else?

Other than staying organized and on a routine, keeping your mind off how much you're doing and on doing what you're doing well helps.

I gave up on sleep and life a long time ago. School, Work and exercise is all I know.

Oh and posting on the internet of course.

ESzczesniak said:

You should use that strategy in med school too :laugh:

MDavoodi_Co said:

NOW,
> I excercise

I don't

I sympathize. While I didn't actually have a *job*, I did take 21 credits a semester (mainly science), and I had two children, two dogs, a house to run, and a husband who worked weird hours. I found a LOT of time between classes. Just writing down stuff onto a review sheet (ok, it *was* teeny tiny writing) and reading that single sheet for each class inbetween other classes or while eating lunch did wonders for my retention. Lots of repetition, lots of reviewing in little blocks. For lecture type classes (like biology and english lit), I typed notes into my laptop. For some strange reason I retained that information quite just by typing during lecture.

I studied during my kids' karate classes (mainly homework problems here), and took many evenings off. I tried to do as much as I could to cram all my studying into the daytime hours so I didn't have to take more time than necessary away from my family. I have a feeling I'll be buying a HUGE dry-erase board for med school.

All of you that take more than like 18 credits have my respect. I took 17 credits last semester, and I was only bored because 4 of them were for an online psych class that I did mostly over spring break, 4 were for a geography class that I should've never taken, and 5 were chem II. So it was a pretty easy semester. Next semester I have 15, which includes 2 science classes, a stats class, a physics lab, and a history class. We're not allowed to take more than 18 credits without our Dean's approval, and I don't think you can take many more than that with.

MDavoodi_Co said:
I'm sure there are millions of other students like me, and what I'm interested in knowing, is what else do you guys do in order to keep up with everyday. Personally, i'm wrecked, tired, and sleep just doesn't do it for me. Do you guys have any advice?

crack is one helluva drug.

halekulani said:
crack is one helluva drug.

I go for the abuse of narcolepsy drugs (provigil)....it beats the black teeth with meth!!!

My advice is to always make some personal time for yourself. Doesn't do anyone any good if you study like mad and push yourself to your limits only to burn out and crash down the line. Pick something fun or relaxing to do and take at least a little time to get your mind off things and re-charge. It will make your productive time even more productive and will help to maintain your motiveation. Even in the chaos of med-school studies, this is still possible.

The thing that helped me most (other than wishing it was the weekend already) was to realize as me and one of my teammates did, "AIM is the Devil"
Stay away from the devil at study times and you should be fine.

After seeing those episodes of "Beverly Hills 90210" where David Silver (Brian Austin Green) is able to go to school and do the late-night radio show by taking speed, I found my answer.

A bad nineties haircut and a radio manager who gives out drugs.
Oh, wait. That's not it.

DoctorPardi said:
Will cut down on your sleeping, eating, and best of all you'll be awake and ready to study/turn tricks for your next fix all the time!

I'm just curious, when people say "Oh i abuse, overdoze, **** with, etc with this and that drug" to increase their study times, are you guys serious? or your just ****ing around........

I have a ton of wasted time commuting but I turned that into productive stress relief time by getting an absolutely huge cell phone plan. Now I use the time to talk to my friends/boyfriend/family - I am much more relaxed now and by the time I get home from school/volunteering I'm ready to hit the books.

MDavoodi_Co said:
I'm just curious, when people say "Oh i abuse, overdoze, **** with, etc with this and that drug" to increase their study times, are you guys serious? or your just ****ing around........

I am completely serious, like I said I'll usually do my homework, maybe spend some time on the forums, then go down town and try to score another fix, sometimes I have to really "work" for the coke but isn't a little prostitution worth getting into medical school for? Plus I've lost like 30 pounds since I started using, and I save so much money on food!

I was completely serious about being addicted to "Beverly Hills, 90210."

take your number one time consuming hobby....
and quit it cold turkey

MDavoodi_Co said:

totally serious man, drugs are cool these days....get with it, brotha

rajad10 said:
totally serious man, drugs are cool these days....get with it, brotha

i was kidding, btw

geno2568 said:
take your number one time consuming hobby....
and quit it cold turkey

But I get the shakes if I'm away from SDN for too long...

I actually took all 124 credits required to graduate in a single semester. I only had enough time to attend my courses when there was an exam, and even then, I had 27 conflicts with classes having exams simultaneously. I just had to write quickly and dash to my next class. I had to forego sleeping and eating, as well as driving. This was while I designed an experiment that will be on the cover of next month's issue of Science (I wrote the manuscript in just four hours). I was actually already working 3rd shift as an emergency room physician during that time, but I'm going to med school to get the "MD" after my name, since I've been pulling a fast one on the HR department so far.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

PS - I typed this whole post in 3.7 seconds while also listening to all 9 of my voicemails.

PPS - Geez, take a break. You've got time. What's with all these credits every semester? I took 21 once, but I followed it up with 13 credits the next semester. I took a total of 28 credit my whole senior year, and I'm starting med school in two and a half weeks. Rushing isn't necessary.

mvenus929 said:
All of you that take more than like 18 credits have my respect. I took 17 credits last semester, and I was only bored because 4 of them were for an online psych class that I did mostly over spring break, 4 were for a geography class that I should've never taken, and 5 were chem II. So it was a pretty easy semester. Next semester I have 15, which includes 2 science classes, a stats class, a physics lab, and a history class. We're not allowed to take more than 18 credits without our Dean's approval, and I don't think you can take many more than that with.
I took 17 credits at one school and 4 at another. Dean doesn't even know :smuggrin: