What's your top choice DO school and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friday night thoughts?
What's your top choice DO school and why?

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM-GA -- close to home, in north Georgia (I'm tired of the muggy, hot south), close to my SO, good rotations from what I hear, P/F preclinical, early exposure to patients, good matches, association with PCOM-philly with access to their residencies and I like the type of area where the school is set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
MU-COM, close to home, in a bigish city with lots to do, , love the Midwest, only other medical school in the state, and supposedly really good rotations...

well not super close to home, but close-ish

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM-GA -- close to home, in north Georgia (I'm tired of the muggy, hot south), close to my SO, good rotations from what I hear, P/F preclinical, early exposure to patients, good matches, association with PCOM-philly with access to their residencies and I like the type of area where the school is set.

I thought Pcom ga has the same curriculum as PA? PA isn't pass fail.

Last edited:
Tuoros-NY, location, friends, closest to home.

BCOM or OK-State. BCOM because of how nice everyone is and the confidence they have in there system. They are building a brand new facility that will house the nations largest medical school simulation lab for studying and it is affiliated with a big research university (NMSU), also it is a requirement that students write a research paper that is publishable before graduating which is amazing if you ask me. OK state, because it is in my home city/town, all my mentors graduated from there and left a very good impression on me, it has the LARGEST training hospital in the nation and is dedicated to osteopathic physicians of all specialties and family medicine, their community outreach is unbelievable and the people are stellar.

COMP-NW, which I was just accepted to :)

I went to undergrad 20 minutes away so I get to continue going to football games, and the Oregon country music festival is nearby too. Friends and family of course are all still in OR, and I love the state too much to leave it

MU-COM. They knocked my socks off at my interview yesterday! Now to wait and see if I did the same...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, you are interpreting it wrong. I hate to be that guy, but it states it "courses are graded on a 0-100 numerical scale" right on the top. The section under that, "Other grade values" are just so you know what those letters mean if they show up on your transcript.

No worries though, I can see how at a quick glance you'd think it's P/F.
That says they have a 0-100 grading scale just like PA. It's the first line! Above a 70 is a pass (except for anatomy which is a 65)
Yeah, I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. But, I don't think that outweighs the other "pros" of the school

The thing is, I'd heard that they had P/F preclinical, and what I'd figured was that students are graded numerically, then given a P/F/HP designation. I've had two UG courses graded like that, so it was easy to assume.

TCOM. The school is highly regarded in my state, offers a great, affordable education, diverse research opportunities, and boasts awesome clinical sites and faculty. And it's a decent, 4-hour drive away to my home!

Also applied to PCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, and Rowan, but I'm still burnt out from completing 30+ MD secondaries in September... and that was 1.5 months ago...

CCOM. I work with some docs who went there and they are WONDERFUL. Gorgeous anatomy lab, city rotations, close to friends/significant other/support network, Chicago itself... :) etc etc.

TCOM. The school is highly regarded in my state, offers a great, affordable education, diverse research opportunities, and boasts awesome clinical sites and faculty. And it's a decent, 4-hour drive away to my home!

Also applied to PCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, and Rowan, but I'm still burnt out from completing 30+ MD secondaries in September... and that was 1.5 months ago...
Me too, I submitted my DO secondaries late in October because of the burnout. Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot.

To answer the question, the one that accepts me? Haha, but really I love VCOM-VC. I've been there twice and have friends there. It's in-state & my SO wouldn't mind being close to her alma mater in Blacksburg.

MSUCOM.

It's top ranked in primary care.
Close to home.
In-state.
Enjoyable environment.

RowanSOM

Same reason as MSUCOM above. Philadelphia, NYC, Atlantic City, beaches all nearby.
It's one of the top ranked in DO schools, with LOTS of research opportunities and funding.
Very close to home.
IS tuition (only $36k)
Good reputation/clinical sites/rotations/match list
Everyone friendly/no gunner-like environment

Last edited:
UNECOM, because it's where I'm going.

Seriously though, UNECOM was my top choice because we've got the most supportive, friendly, cooperative environment for students to work within. A first year was just posting the other day about how grateful he was for going here because he got quite sick and everyone was doing everything they could to help him with notes and things while he was stuck at home. Didn't even have to ask, we're just that awesome, because the adcoms select for people that seem like they'll fit with the chill, cooperative vibe.

KCU! So I can bandwagon the Royals!!!