Getting accepted at top DO choice after starting orientation at another DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway7678

Reaction score
I interviewed at 3 DO schools. I got waitlisted at 2 and still waiting to hear back from the 3rd.

School A begins on July 13th. School B and C are my top DO choices that start orientation a few weeks after school A. Both schools B and C accept right up till orientation. So school A might start before I get to hear back from my two top choices.

If I get accepted to school A and I start orientation there, and then either schools B or C accept me after this, do I have the option to switch even though I started orientation, or does orientation mean I'm permanently bound to that school? Are there any rules regarding this?

Members don't see this ad.

Not 100% sure, but we had a guy at VCOM last year leave on the second day of orientation to attend his in-state MD school.

I interviewed at 3 DO schools. I got waitlisted at 2 and still waiting to hear back from the 3rd.

School A begins on July 13th. School B and C are my top DO choices that start orientation a few weeks after school A. Both schools B and C accept right up till orientation. So school A might start before I get to hear back from my two top choices.

If I get accepted to school A and I start orientation there, and then either schools B or C accept me after this, do I have the option to switch even though I started orientation, or does orientation mean I'm permanently bound to that school? Are there any rules regarding this?
You can switch. Only concern is many schools won't refund your entire tuition if you've started attending. You'll get some percentage back.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to double check with the waitlisted schools. In my starting class, one of my classmates was accepted off a waitlist in week 2 or 3 of schools (only had 1 day orientation). That student was able to go.

However, there was another student who got off a waitlist around the same time, maybe it was a week later, but at this point we had already had our first exam. Though accepted off the waitlist, because exams had already started, this waitlist school wouldn't allow them to go. I'm not 100% on this. This was just my understanding from a lot of years ago. Things can also change.

Double check with actual places for the most correct and up to date info.

My school has had students poached after matriculation by both other DO schools, and our state MD school.

My school has had students poached after matriculation by both other DO schools, and our state MD school.
In the case that this happens, do you still pull students off your own WL?