what's your top choice school(s) and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i never thought about it until tonight
i would say university of toronto, NYU, and cornell
why? the location, i fell in love with downtown new york and downtown toronto

how about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Upenn, temple, drexel, or jefferson cause philly kicks so much ass.

University of Pittsburgh, University of Pennsylvania, or Cornell

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA, USC, or Charles Drew/UCLA. I :love: Los Angeles!

I'll say my top choice is Yale. I find myself very attracted to a calm, non-competitive atmosphere. This is premature because I have toured no medical schools at this point, and am not completely certain on what I want from one. I just think you can't go wrong with Yale.

John's hopkins or UCSF. Not sure why, I guess I like the names. I still have years to go so there will be ample oppurtunity to explore the schools.

Looque said:
University of Pittsburgh, University of Pennsylvania, or Cornell

1. University of Michigan (was practically raised there..lol, very free intellectual thought here)
2. Wayne State University (location, I am Iraqi-American, so controlling mothers are evident, and they want you as close to home as possible)
3. Harvard (prestige, can't be that)
4. NYU (I love NYC, especially the Soho District)
5. Columbia (prestige in booming city!)
6. Pritzker (UChicago) (seems so sophisticated and free)
7. UCLA (california!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
8. Georgetown (D.C. is so nice and nice LOL)
9. Johns Hopkins (great reputation)
10. UPenn (my best friend might go there class of 2011, so I want to be in the med school class of 2014 so I will see her, lmao)

MirrorTodd said:
John's hopkins or UCSF. Not sure why, I guess I like the names. I still have years to go so there will be ample oppurtunity to explore the schools.

groan

Igni Fera said:
Johns Hopkins and UCSF :laugh:, Stanford, UCLA, Cornell, NYU...

I know, I know....groan.

UCSF. Grew up in SF, want to go back.

Stanford. Location, Location, Location, Tuition, Location.

Members don't see this ad :)
MirrorTodd said:
Is Johns Hopkins really that bad? Or does that seem like a totally typical answer to the OP's question?
No, it was the fact you put "John's hopkins".

My first choice is the cheapest place that accepts me..... :thumbup: I'm just practical like that.

DropkickMurphy said:
No, it was the fact you put "John's hopkins".

My first choice is the cheapest place that accepts me..... :thumbup: I'm just practical like that.
Anyone who gets upset over a mistake is a total hypocrite. As if there are people on this forum who have never made a typo. whoopty-fricking-doo. BTW not bashing you Dropkick.

UCLA!!! I got california love.

MirrorTodd said:
Anyone who gets upset over a mistake is a total hypocrite. As if there are people on this forum who have never made a typo. whoopty-fricking-doo. BTW not bashing you Dropkick.
No offense taken Todd. I knew it wasn't directed at me. But if I had thought it was directed at me I would have just given you hell right back. :thumbup:

Howard. I love black women.

UCSF without a doubt. SF is my favorite place in the world. Plus, you can't beat the prestige/tution ratio. :D

NYC is a close second. :)

University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, Duke

Temple-- it's tough to beat their clinical training and I'd really like to work with the patient population in North Philly.

Second choice-- UPenn. I'd get to stay in the city I love and attend a top school that has a good reputation for looking at more than numbers in people's applications.

jeeffferssoon - its in the best part of the city compared to the other med schools

does temple not have any opthalmology clerkships for their fourth year students??

taylormade44 said:
jeeffferssoon - its in the best part of the city compared to the other med schools

does temple not have any opthalmology clerkships for their fourth year students??
one of my friends is starting 4th year at Temple and she's doing optho, so I assume they do.

about jefferson- i heard they had a huge % of Jewish students.... do you know if this is true?

Let me see...top choice? Anywhere that'll have me (allopathic, in the US). Please??!

I think I'd like to return to Vermont, as I am originally from Burlington. But beggars can't be choosers.

swim2md said:
one of my friends is starting 4th year at Temple and she's doing optho, so I assume they do.

about jefferson- i heard they had a huge % of Jewish students.... do you know if this is true?

thats weird...they dont list it as an option on their pdf curricula...but their website is sooo messed up

"click here (this should lead to curricula)" with no link...and they have promising research opportunities "Insert Text Here" lol

ive never heard that one before about the jewish kiddos...id assume thats true for yeshiva but who knows

SUNY STONY BROOK

30 minutes from home.. awesome tuition.. AWESOME EDUCATION.

UCSF

i absolutely fell in love with San Francisco when I visited

plus the school has a great curriculum, and everybody there loves it

First of all, this thread has been repeated numerous times, which actually isn't that big of deal. It's kind of fun to read.

But inevitably, 30-40% of people will reply with "Wherever takes me LOL!!!"
Oh really? Thanks for the insight into your modesty, but just answer the damn question.

akademiks1989 said:
1. University of Michigan (was practically raised there..lol, very free intellectual thought here)
2. Wayne State University (location, I am Iraqi-American, so controlling mothers are evident, and they want you as close to home as possible)
3. Harvard (prestige, can't be that)
4. NYU (I love NYC, especially the Soho District)
5. Columbia (prestige in booming city!)
6. Pritzker (UChicago) (seems so sophisticated and free)
7. UCLA (california!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
8. Georgetown (D.C. is so nice and nice LOL)
9. Johns Hopkins (great reputation)
10. UPenn (my best friend might go there class of 2011, so I want to be in the med school class of 2014 so I will see her, lmao)

I like how you already have a specialty picked out yet you aren't even in college yet.

HMSNeuro said:
First of all, this thread has been repeated numerous times, which actually isn't that big of deal. Its kind of fun to read.

Oh really? Thanks for the insight into your modesty, but just answer the damn question.

pwn3d

Maryland- instate tuition, close to family, only in lecture like 3 hours a day

Loma LInda- connected to my church, great possibility they could get me out of their school with no debt, lots of opportunities for overseas mission work

Yale....very non-competitive environment

MirrorTodd said:

:rolleyes: you called it "john's hopkins"...don't tell me that apostrophe was a misplaced keystroke

HMSNeuro said:
First of all, this thread has been repeated numerous times, which actually isn't that big of deal. It's kind of fun to read.

I think with my stats, modesty ain't even an issue, more like I'm trying to cover embarassment...

UCSF, not only because of the great school which it is, but will also allow me to come back up and be close to my girlfriend.

DoctorPardi said:
I'll say my top choice is Yale. I find myself very attracted to a calm, non-competitive atmosphere. This is premature because I have toured no medical schools at this point, and am not completely certain on what I want from one. I just think you can't go wrong with Yale.
So you're looking forward to failing step I? Yale's got the name, but I'm sorry, med school with optional, anonymous tests, is going to be bedlam. Check out their step I pass percentage. It isn't as hot as you would think. And they don't match very well.

Go to UAB and get out with little debt. Study your butt off for step I and go anywhere you want.

quantummechanic said:
:rolleyes: you called it "john's hopkins"...don't tell me that apostrophe was a misplaced keystroke
No it wasn't, but I wasn't really thinking about the correct punctuation when I was typing it. I've seen a lot worse than that on this board. Anyway, Mountains out of anthills right?

MirrorTodd said:
No it wasn't, but I wasn't really thinking about the correct punctuation when I was typing it. I've seen a lot worse than that on this board. Anyway, Mountains out of anthills right?

molehill, not anthill

HMSNeuro said:

I'm serious. I don't actually care. I haven't formed my own rank list of schools.

Right now my top choice is Cornell, followed closely Baylor and UCSF.

I like those schools because, obviously, they are great schools, but also because they have great international medicine programs and the cities in which they are located have large Chinese immigrant populations (I've been studying Chinese for almost a decade now). Plus, with Cornell, I'm already in the city, so I wouldn't have to move (not that I'm opposed to moving...but you know, it's a little easier). Baylor, though, is cheap (comparatively speaking, we are still talking med school here--like 19,000 or something).

coralfangs said:
i never thought about it until tonight
i would say university of toronto, NYU, and cornell
why? the location, i fell in love with downtown new york and downtown toronto

how about you guys?

Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio because of their great MD/MPH program

my top five...

Harvard (reputation/prestige)
Hopkins (reputation/prestige)
Yale (reputation/prestige)
Stanford (reputation/prestige)
UW (live in Seattle)

Pitt. as my many neurotic posts have indicated. I don't wanna move (sell my house, force my husband to leave his firm, etc.), I LOVE western pennsylvania with a red hot burning passion, and i like the looks of the clinical work. And maybe I'll get to do a painful procedure on someone I went to high school with...