when are deadlines??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to apologize off the bat if this is a dumb question but i am having some trouble finding as answer:

Does any one know when the deadline for filling out a residency application is, and by what time do we have to complete the boards? Will taking the step 1s in august be too late?

I am going to be starting med school in the fall but I am asking b/c my husband is an IMG and planning on practicing here, but i am just not sure when he needs to have his stuff in by. Thanks in advance for any help you can be!
:D

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to apologize off the bat if this is a dumb question but i am having some trouble finding as answer:

Does any one know when the deadline for filling out a residency application is, and by what time do we have to complete the boards? Will taking the step 1s in august be too late?

I am going to be starting med school in the fall but I am asking b/c my husband is an IMG and planning on practicing here, but i am just not sure when he needs to have his stuff in by. Thanks in advance for any help you can be!
:D

No deadlines for USMLE exams application. He can apply all year around. If approved he has to sit for the exams. Explore www.ecfmg.org for more information.

If your husband will be using the NRMP for residency match, the deadline for the NRMP is December 1. However, bear in mind that some specialties and programs have earlier deadlines (ie, the deadline for surgery is November 1, and even October 15 at some places), so he needs to have stuff in before the specialtry/program deadlines. This can be obtained from the programs themselves or on FREIDA.

August is not too late to take Step 1, although if he fails he won't have enough time to study and retake it (there is a period of time during which you can't retake it) for the match. Also you might consider that he wants (or even needs to take in some specialties) to take Step 2 before application.

If your husband will be using the NRMP for residency match, the deadline for the NRMP is December 1. However, bear in mind that some specialties and programs have earlier deadlines (ie, the deadline for surgery is November 1, and even October 15 at some places), so he needs to have stuff in before the specialtry/program deadlines. This can be obtained from the programs themselves or on FREIDA.

August is not too late to take Step 1, although if he fails he won't have enough time to study and retake it (there is a period of time during which you can't retake it) for the match. Also you might consider that he wants (or even needs to take in some specialties) to take Step 2 before application.
Thank you soo much for that help! I am assuming he needs to take both step1 an step 2 ck/cs by the time he applies in december. It takes 4 weeks for step one results to come in a 3 months for step 2, is this correct?
thanks again i cant tell you how much i appreciate the help!

Also keep in mind that while the DEADLINE is usually around December, most people apply before then. Most of my interviews actually took place in October through December. The earlier he applies the better, as some programs fill up all their interview slots by November. But you CAN apply before the USMLE scores are in. Some programs will interview without it, some won't. Also keep in mind that the USMLE scored take some time (up to a few months sometimes) to come back after you take it. He should probably try to find some kind of advisor to help look over his academic history etc and help him decide the best course of action--it can be different for everyone.

Just to echo Rain Elizabeth's post:

despite the deadline of December (or earlier, depending on your hubby's field), you DO NOT want to wait until December to apply. Most applications are reviewed as they are received with interview invitations offered much earlier than the deadlines. Your husband can start applying through the NRMP as early as September 1.

While it has been many years since I took Steps 1 and 2, it was around 3-4 weeks to get the results from Step 1 and when I took Step 2, the CK/CS did not exist (and it certainly didn't take 3 months for the results to come back - perhaps it does now?)

It occurs to me that:

1) your husband needs to find out which system of centralized applications, if there is one, his specialty of choice uses (is it NRMP, the San Francisco Match, or no centralized service)

2) your husband needs to find out the deadline for that specialty

3) make sure he has letters of rec available for his application

4) if he chooses to take Step 1 in early August, that should be early enough to get scores back in time for a September application

5) your husband needs to find out whether or not Step 2 is required by a large number of programs in his chosen specialty (ie, for example a few years ago it was pretty common for Neuro programs to require it).

Hope this helps.

i heart you kimberlli cox and rain elizabeth thanks so much . . .i am gonna have to get on top of all this, damn its hard to be an IMG! thanks again, i appreicate it!!