When are LORs sent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a crappy situation. One professor I was counting on to write a good letter apparently doesn't like to write. He is avoiding my phone calls and is never available in his office. I get the hint.

So that leaves me with a missing LOR. When do these things have to be sent? Along with secondaries? I believe most DO schools require two science LORs, leaving me needing one more. Do you guys think I'll have time to take a science course in Summer (May/June) I and procure a letter that way without hindering my chances of admission?

Members don't see this ad.

The LORs need to be sent along with the secondaries but the secondaries should come around early August. Thus you have lots of time.

As far as taking a class just to get a LOR, you can but why don't you just ask an old professor that doesn't know you. Approach the professor, introduce yourself, and give him your resume, personal statement, and transcript to prove you took his class, and ask him for one.

It may be a generic LOR but I did this for 2 professors and it worked out for me.:thumbup:

You are WAY ahead of the game here. I didn't send secondaries in until December, along with the LOR's, and had no problems getting in. One prof. took until February to send his in.

Many schools will offer interviews without having all of the LOR's, so you even have until after that.

Originally posted by JKDMed
I am in a crappy situation. One professor I was counting on to write a good letter apparently doesn't like to write. He is avoiding my phone calls and is never available in his office. I get the hint.

So that leaves me with a missing LOR. When do these things have to be sent? Along with secondaries? I believe most DO schools require two science LORs, leaving me needing one more. Do you guys think I'll have time to take a science course in Summer (May/June) I and procure a letter that way without hindering my chances of admission?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I got my physics professor to write the first letter, although it will end up being generic. I gave him a copy of my transcript, a CV, and a copy of my personal essay. I also gave him the contact info for the guy who wrote my strongest letter, which comes from a non-science instructor. Unfortunately, many schools don't even want these.

Another problem I forgot to mention is that I took the same professor for more than one course. I had one prof for genchem I and II, and one for physics I and II. As a non-science major, that leaves me having only 3 more professors to choose from. I may have to go back to my old biology instructors.

I wish I could get a letter from my genchem professor because I got a B+/A in his courses. However, despite my good performance I have a feeling the letter would be generic anyways, assuming he would even write one.

Originally posted by JKDMed
I wish I could get a letter from my genchem professor because I got a B+/A in his courses. However, despite my good performance I have a feeling the letter would be generic anyways, assuming he would even write one.
I would say that generic ones are better than nothing. If you don't have anything else, then just get that.

Generic ones and strong ones are good. The only thing that can hurt you is a bad LOR. These bad LORs could come from people that know you since they know the bad things about you. Someone who doesn't know you can't really say anything bad so I would go for that.

Originally posted by Adapt
I would say that generic ones are better than nothing. If you don't have anything else, then just get that.

JKDMed, this is such a load of uninformed crap, and I'm not just saying that because nobody likes Slickness. People shouldn't be throwing out advice because THEY THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING! Seriously...there's just no room to give people trying to get into med school useless and bad advice. So here's some good advice.

I was in a similar situation last year when applying. I needed one final rec from a physics prof and I wasn't sure if he knew we well enough, even though I did well in the class. So I asked if he would be able to write me a GOOD recommendation, because anything generic does absolutely NOTHING for your application. He politely said he didn't feel he knew me well enough to say wonderful things about me. So I went out and shadowed a second DO and got a rec from him a month later. He sent me a copy of it too; he made me seem nothing short of this genius super-DO to be. This rec definately got the attention of adcoms...

On top of this experience, my health professions advisor told me explicitly that a neutral or bad rec is no good, and will actually hurt you. Most applicants are having great recs written for them, that is the norm. So when you turn in a neutral one, you could look worse compared to others. Also, my father is on the admissions commitee for the PhD program at a top ten school...he has told me about uninspired recs and the problems they can cause.

Try to find someone to shadow, or a volunteer coordinator, or like you suggested, a professor for a summer course to get to know really well and have them write one. If you're applying for 2009 entering class, you have MAD time. Look at your other recs, figure out if a rec from a prof or doc or someone else will make your app complete, and butter up their ass like crazy until they totally love you and write the best rec ever :D

JKDMed,

I completely agree with turkdlit... Stay away from generic LORs and since you have a good amount of time between now and when you need to turn in your LORs and have been doing such a kick ass job preparing for the upcoming application cycle, I am sure you will able to get the final quality LOR that you need...

Generic LORs are just that, generic... Ad coms members read hundreds and hundreds of LORs and I am sure that they can tell whether or not a letter writer really knows you or has just transcribed your curriculum vitae..

Advising that generic LORs are good enough is just half ass, and from your posts, you are definitely not that kind of guy...

Keep on kicking butt!

Brian
[email protected]

Are we done with the Slickness/Adapt bashing turkdlit? I can't even help people out without you or Ralph getting on my back now.

Anyways, JKDMed said that he couldn't get a letter and may have to take a class just to get one. I told him that he didn't need to do that and a generic one is better than nothing. Rather than delaying and trying to get one right before when he needs to send it, it's best just to get a generic one.

It's not crap and many people do this especially when their class is 400 students and the professor cannot know everyone. They understand this and are very helpful if you ask them.

However, as other people have stated, a good one is better than a generic one and if you have the time, then work for that extra LOR. If you don't have the time, a generic one will suffice.

All of you raise very good points, but as I previously wrote I had many of the same professors for science courses. Initially I hoped to get good LORs, but unfortunately I may only be left with one. 1/3 is better than not being able to apply I suppose. However, I will *try* to find a way to get a better LOR, but it's not easy since I don't really know many science profs as a non-science major.

Are we done with the Slickness/Adapt bashing?

-nope, especially if you aren't done giving bad advice and/or talking.

If you don't have the time, a generic one will suffice.

-what a great attitude for a future physician... "don't have the time?? don't worry... it's ok to just half-ass it..."

ralph-macchio01.jpg