baaseo

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
as i was reading through a thread, someone mentioned that the person interviewing him/her asked the question "why dentistry?" after his/her response, the interviewer told him/her that his/her reason was not good enough.

i don't really know what to think of this. i'm sure that a person who has gotten that far along the application process would not be stupid enough to answer this question with a shallow/dumb answer.
it makes me wonder, do these interviewers have something specific that they want to hear? i'd like to believe that there is no "right" response to the question of "why dentistry" but the fact that the interviewer responded with that kind of answer makes me doubt if this is true.

any feedback would be appreciated. thank you.

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Some interviewers push your button, it is an interviewing technique. Do not worry about it, they are looking for your reaction.

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
Some interviewers push your button, it is an interviewing technique. Do not worry about it, they are looking for your reaction.
^^That's true. One purpose of the interview is to create a situation that may be stressful to those who don't handle pressure well. If you struggle due to the pressure of the interview, you probably will have a tough time in school.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
As long as it's deeper than, I really want the money, or, I like to help people, you're pretty good. I like working with my hands is actually a good partial answer, haha.

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
As long as you are good at what you do and you take pride in it, it really shouldn't matter "why?"

However, make sure to keep any shallow thoughts to yourself during interviews. Interviewers don't want to hear that someone is in it for the money, hours, etc.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was honest in all my interviews. After having interviewed a few people applying I can tell you some answers are better than others...in the WAY they are presented.

I actually liked the person who said 'lifestyle' as long as it didn't sound fake. I hated the ones that said 'serve others' ONLY when it sounded fake.

So really, get yourself really emotionally tied to about 3 things that spark your interest in dentistry and sell yourself. Whatever the reason may be. Be your own boss, lifestyle, money to give back, challenging, rewarding, interact with people, etc.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status
Dental Student
He just said, "Be real, because if you try BS'ing the interviewer you will get busted and they won't appreciate it."

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Just stay calm, smile back, and try to "weasel" your way out of it lol. But if they get a little too direct in the interview its not becuase they don't like you, they just want to see how you handle pressure. The trick is to stay calm, keep your posture up when you sit, don't ball up your fists or anything like that, keep good eye contact but don't stare, stay calm like your have a conversation with your mother.