When can I officially call myself doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by sophiejane
i never said anything about wanting to "help people" in my interviews. i just knew this was the only job that i felt i would really be happy doing. my parents were teachers--in my opinion they do one of the most important jobs there is. do they get respect from the community? hell yes they do--but nobody calls them Dr.

my point is that you should earn the respect you get. graduating from 4 years of medical school proves one thing: you are a good test-taker and you survived rotations without killing anyone. to me, you haven't earned jack. once you are out there and practicing, if it gets you off to call yourself "Dr" to some hostess at a restaurant, go for it. but until then i find it pretty presumptuous, except when you are at work and necessity dictates the need for you to be identified as a resident and not a medical student.

Surviving 4 years of medical school does mean jack, otherwise people wouldn't go through with it. Some of us actually went into this job to help people (it wasn't just a line). This is a difficult job, but rewarding in the end.

Coming from a family of teachers. I have more respect respect for what they do than any other job. Without teachers none of us would be where we are today. They deserve better pay and more respect from the public. But again, the title doctor is a distinction based on a degree attained, not the amount of respect commanded. I don't think, save a few in the group, feel they need to distinguish themselves in public but referring to themselves as doctors. My patients call me Doc or by my full name and that is it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that this thread has turned into a debate on what degree letters stand for and whether teachers deserve respect. I started this thread to express my excitment for my upcoming graduation and wanted to share this experience with others.
I you want to sit there and say that part of you doesn't get excited with you hear "Doctor" in front of your name when someone addreses you, then fine. I guess I must be the only one and that makes me shallow and petty. You are all incredibly altruistic people.

The excitement goes away when at 3:30 am a nurse pages you and says "Doctor, my patient is constipated and wants something right now." It always happens that way. I don't know aout you but I have never been constipated at 3:30 AM. I am usually sleeping and no one seems to count the number of times I have pooed in a week.

I admit it is fun initially to be called doctor by your family and friends. It is an achievement to finish medical school, despite what anyone says here and I say relish it for a while. The excitement will fade, believe me.

This thread has officially become gay.

Originally posted by edinOH
This thread has officially become gay.

Can we still say that or is it officially politically incorrect to use gay as an insult now?

BTW, I agree with the gist of the statement, except that you could have been the second post and said the same thing just as accurately.

political correctness is gay.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Originally posted by jashanley
Doctor is a title conferred to anyone with a doctoral degree. Therefore when addressing an invitation to a PhD, MD, DO, DDS, DMD, MBBS, etc.....it is proper to address them as Dr.

The undergrad school I went to had a strong contingent of science profs who encouraged premeds to choose the PhD track instead... they actually had a club called the "UnMed" club. Anyway, One of them had an interesting article on his door about the history of the word "doctor" and how in its original usage it implied that the degree holder had done original research/scholarship. Hence, the usage of "doctor" for a PhD is more appropriate than an MD because most MD programs do not require research. I Googled around for a while to find more info on this (it has been several years since I saw it) but couldn't find it. Just an interesting tidbit.

DOCTOR MadC

I'm sorry, but your science profs sound like a bunch of haters....for what purpose would they encourage premeds NOT to take the MD route....could it be a little bit of "degree envy".....This just sounds silly!

Originally posted by RYSA
I'm sorry, but your science profs sound like a bunch of haters....for what purpose would they encourage premeds NOT to take the MD route....could it be a little bit of "degree envy".....This just sounds silly!

I agree with you. Just thought it was an interesting point that is (somewhat) related to the topic.

Originally posted by jashanley
The excitement goes away when at 3:30 am a nurse pages you and says "Doctor, my patient is constipated and wants something right now." It always happens that way. I don't know aout you but I have never been constipated at 3:30 AM. I am usually sleeping and no one seems to count the number of times I have pooed in a week.

I admit it is fun initially to be called doctor by your family and friends. It is an achievement to finish medical school, despite what anyone says here and I say relish it for a while. The excitement will fade, believe me.

Amen to that! Doctor, the patient has a 99.5 "fever". Should I give a tylenol?

4am: Doctor, the coags just came back. They were normal.

530am: Doctor, the phlebotomy team couldn't get blood for your cardiac enzymes. No, I haven't tried. But I wanted to let you know in case you still wanted them.

Congrats, Doctor!

:)

Originally posted by PimplePopperMD
Amen to that! Doctor, the patient has a 99.5 "fever". Should I give a tylenol?

4am: Doctor, the coags just came back. They were normal.

530am: Doctor, the phlebotomy team couldn't get blood for your cardiac enzymes. No, I haven't tried. But I wanted to let you know in case you still wanted them.

Congrats, Doctor!

:)

You didn't have this conversation a few hours prior did you?:

Nurse: Excuse me PimplePopper.
Doctor: That's Dr. PimplePopper to you, honey.

:D

Ed

This thread is so pathetic. Strictly speaking doctor of medicine.mean you are a medical doctor .
Now, if your reason In requiring a license to be called doctor then in strict sense, you can only called doctor in state you are licensed only. Correct? That's how it works. Regardless you are licensed practice ny. Or nj. Or ca. When you graduate from med school. All of you had experience care of patience certain amt hrs.. Doctor is doctor no if or butts.

So then let me argue again if Some of you only can be called doctor in a state you are licensed . Out side you are no body. If you argue that way well it is .you can not practice . How about those retired doctors fail to renew license. Q10 yrs. Then they are no body too? Doctor expired?
It's safe to say, doctor of medicine meant medical doctor. Esp if you passed all licensing exams. Steps 1-3. But that's bragging pt.

Like someone say practicing or unpracticing doctor is a doctor. We call M.D. hum.....May be we need new desig. Wth step scores to prove who I'd more doctor? what sort of nonsense is this. ?

"Hello i am Doctor Top (238)rank top 10.
Nice to meet you." How's that huh?
Will that satify some of you attempt to drag others achievement down?
Md = medical doctor degree. Simple as that. Get over it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.