When did you discover SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techmed07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did it feel?...haha
Did ingnite your ambition.
Or did you realize how far behind you were?

Members don't see this ad.

Thought something of the sort would never exist...then i just recalled how many pre-meds there were, and how all the "medical" based shows were so popular, etc. then it didnt surprise me at all.

But im glad it does! lots of helpful info and good people :thumbup:

I found out about it a little over a year ago, but didn't "Discover" it per se till right before my MCAT this April.

The rest is history...along with my posts-per-day count.:cool: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
someone told me about SDN when I was interviewing 2 years ago. I actually used the interview feedback, but didn't sign up for the message board.

I came back for more advice when I was reapplying.

it made me feel like I never had a chance at med school, since my numbers were so low, and that I made a lot of mistakes as an undergrad.

it made me feel like I never had a chance at med school, since my numbers were so low, and that I made a lot of mistakes as an undergrad.
Really? I felt more encouraged, instead, seeing a ton of people with my stats and below getting interviewed and accepted. But then again, the Canadian system with its 3.9 AVERAGES depresses you fast.:thumbdown:

I found it a little over two years ago when I was trying to figure out if I was too old, and how a non-trad would go about getting their pre-reqs and applying. I was very happy to find the non-trad forum (which made me realize that 30 is not too old to start over) and the post-bac forum (which helped me pick a program). Then I progressed to the MCAT forum while I studied for the MCAT, and pre-allo once I started contemplating applications. SDN has been an invaluable resource, regardless of the added anxiety it also tends to foster.

Really? I felt more encouraged, instead, seeing a ton of people with my stats and below getting interviewed and accepted. But then again, the Canadian system with its 3.9 AVERAGES depresses you fast.:thumbdown:
"You're never going to get in with a GPA that low. You need to do at least a few years of a post-bac. Doing a Masters is just a waste of your time."

"You need to retake that MCAT, it's way too low. You need at least a 35."

Read the interview feedback sometime back in my sophomore year. I wish I had found my way to the boards though. Maybe it would've lit a fire under my @$$ to make me do better than I did. Oh SDN, destroyer of borderline candidate's dreams...

I discovered SDN through an internet search this past summer. It definitely ignited my ambition. Until school started, I was spending literally hours a day on SDN. Now that I'm in school, I don't even visit it every day.

Almost 2 yrs ago. But never signed up till a while later. SDN has given so much insight and a lot of the information is accurate as well. I definitely wouldn't know as much as I know if it weren't for SDN!!!!

How did it feel?...haha
Did ingnite your ambition.
Or did you realize how far behind you were?

lol. Just from reading that, I thought you were talking about losing your virginity. SORRY! :lol:

Anyway, to answer the question about SDN, I found it the day that I started college. Funny, huh? A little over a year later, here I am!

Reading about all these 40 MCATs and 4.0 GPAs really made me feel inadequate, then I realized they were all just lies! :rolleyes:

Okay, not really, but I pretend they are...to restore my self-esteem! :laugh:

lol. Just from reading that, I thought you were talking about losing your virginity. SORRY! :lol:

Anyway, to answer the question about SDN, I found it the day that I started college. Funny, huh? A little over a year later, here I am!

Reading about all these 40 MCATs and 4.0 GPAs really made me feel inadequate, then I realized they were all just lies! :rolleyes:

Just wait til you move the Step 1 forum. Talk about skewed score reporting.

I know I'm not pre-allo now, but I didn't find SDN forums until I was an M1. Although I used the interview feedback for every interview I had.

Members don't see this ad :)

hahaha. heres a another question I was going to add

have you been able to stop?

I found SDN about a year and a half before I started back to school. A friend linked to the "Things I learned from my patients" thread in the emergency medicine forum on her livejournal. It made me really sad because I couldn't see a way to go back. Of course, now that I have actually started school, I'm addicted damnit.

This summer when I finally decided once and for all the I was going to take the plunge and be a pre- med student.
I realized how far behind I was and how I was going to have to work twice as hard.
It made me more determine.

If I remember correctly I read about SDN in a book called Med School Confidential, its very informative

just recently, like my registration date implies. i found it randomly on a google search this last month. I clicked out of curiosity, and I like this place so far, but I'm hoping I don't become addicted to this place!

i'm addicted already.....

Discovered it while browsing AAMC's website in the days leading up to my MCAT score release. It was great to be able to share my angst on the 'score countdown' threads in the final days before the release. I look forward to using it to help me prepare for my interview, as well. It's also wonderful to be able to learn from all those who've already been through this whole ordeal -- and to share it with those currently in it :rolleyes:

1 year ago,

euphoric and sad.

I wish I wouldn't have discovered it while I was still in school... because I have my 4th test for the week tomorrow and oh wait, here I am playing on SDN instead of studying....again. haha!

I found out about it from our science club president at the end of my freshman year. At the time, I had no idea how to use forums :), so I just stuck with blogging. SDN didn't get addicting until I got closer and closer to applying. Now I'm hooked.