When do recommendations need to be completed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -- if anyone can help me figure this out, that would be great. I have two science professors who have agreed to write me recommendations, but the problem is that each of them cannot provide the recommendation until July (around the middle of July for both of them.) I have other recommendations (not from professors) that I can probably get in the next few weeks, but I am worried about this...the advising office at my school said that I could have one recommendation in by the middle of July but that it could make things difficult so I am not sure what to do. It's completely my fault for not being more cognizant of deadlines, but I'm hoping that this won't be a big setback... if anyone has some words of wisdom on this, that would be great. :) Thank you and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not a set back as long as they stick to the mid July thing.... I've had a couple of experience where the profs were so busy they just forgot until I reminded them....

Personally, I would wait for the professor's recommendations. Their degrees would probably weigh much more than someone who doesn't have any degree.

Besides, recommendations usually accompany secondaries which would mean that you'll probably get a secondary at the earliest to be mid July.... HEY, look at that perfect timing.

Even if it gets to you earlier (the secondaries), you can spare a week or two before turning in your letters of recommendation.... You can definitely turn in your other secondary material before you turn in your recommendation....

In my humble opinion, I say wait for the professors.... It's not too late!!!

I hope that somewhat alleviates some of your anxiety... This IS just an opinion of one person

Later,
:cool:

oppss, where's my manners.... I just notice you're a relatively new member....

WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was getting anxious about my letters of rec a few weeks ago, and spoke to my advisor about it. He gave me some advice that I am definitely going to take.

In his experience, letters sent to schools before they receive your secondary app were much more likely to be misplaced or lost completely. I am not sending any of mine in until the schools have an active file for me so I can minimize my chances of becoming just another horror story.

I plan on having mine together from my school by mid-July, and having my others forwarded as soon as schools have a file for me. :)

Thank you so much for the replies! Since it turns out that I probably won't get most of my recommendations until July anyway, your posts were greatly reassuring. :) Thanks again!