When do take Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before i get the typical "oh you don't need anatomy before med school" responses, just understand that I need anatomy for other courses in my major that I want to take.

The real question is, however, is when would it be considered too EARLY to take the course? I don't want to rush into it, but there are three or four courses I need to take for my major in which a pre-req is human anatomy.

Any suggestions/ input?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At least take bio before the anatomy. Then, since you have it as a prereq for other courses, take the anatomy as soon after as you can comfortably work it into your schedule. That way you will have more leeway in when you take your other classes.

I think anatomy kind of stands on its own, although some grasp of cell biology would be nice. You can't really understand anything in biology without understanding lots of other things, but you also need to start somewhere. I'd say go ahead and take it, but if you have concerns maybe talk to the prof ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a two semester series of Human Anatomy and Physiology. Most people in there are juniors, but there are a good number of sophomores and at least one freshman.

i think physiology is more important than anatomy, at least for upperlevel bio classes and the MCAT. i'm taking anatomy right now as one of my last bio classes and then i'll be done with my major. i took physiology, tho, the first semester of my sophomore year. anatomy really won't come up that much in other bio classes. i mean, the things that WOULD come up in other bio classes are the basics that everyone knows anyway...ie the heart, brain, pituitary etc.

Thanks, it's from the Beet Western Yellow Virus. I finally got the transparent whitespace to work this time.

Yeah, how exactly do you do that? Mine's been bugging me for a while...

OP: Everyone's suggestions of intro bio and cell bio seem pretty on point to me. A lot of stuff in my animal anatomy class made sense retroactively after I learned my cell bio, so I'm guessing it'd be the same for human anatomy.

Yeah, how exactly do you do that? Mine's been bugging me for a while...

OP: Everyone's suggestions of intro bio and cell bio seem pretty on point to me. A lot of stuff in my animal anatomy class made sense retroactively after I learned my cell bio, so I'm guessing it'd be the same for human anatomy.

yea, definitely take the intro bios first. after those first 2, you can take anatomy whenever.

to be honest for me, i learn TONS from the lab where you memorize everything...i don't get much out of the lecture tho cuz i took physiology like 2 years ago. i know most of the lecture from other courses...but the lab is priceless

My school has a two semester series of Human Anatomy and Physiology. Most people in there are juniors, but there are a good number of sophomores and at least one freshman.

Really mine has got 300 freshmen and 10 upperclassmen cuz of all the pre-nursing children

Before i get the typical "oh you don't need anatomy before med school" responses, just understand that I need anatomy for other courses in my major that I want to take.

The real question is, however, is when would it be considered too EARLY to take the course? I don't want to rush into it, but there are three or four courses I need to take for my major in which a pre-req is human anatomy.

Any suggestions/ input?

Thanks!

No class is ever considered too early--if you mean frowned on by the adcom, as long as you have the prereqs go for it. I knocked out both anatomies and physiology's in the summer. Whether you can handle it depends on too many factors, teacher, course load, job, only you will be able to tell when it feels right.

The way i did it in undergrad was that I took anatomy during my junior year and then I was the lab instructor for my senior year, so by the time I was a first year med student, the anatomy lab was pretty straight forward and I could focus on other classes.

Really mine has got 300 freshmen and 10 upperclassmen cuz of all the pre-nursing children

Yeah, ours has the two general bio's as prereq's. I'm guessing the freshman AP'ed out and asked the prof at the beginning of the semester to be let in.