When do you guys think premeds will realize DOs are = to MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL, you should have seen our classmates facebook page - moaning and crying, threatening to unfriend anyone who voted Trump lol and announcing that life is over, world is over and there is no point in life whatsoever anymore... and yet the very next day they go to Starbucks and order a Grande with a Muffin and consume it gladly and joyfully before the lectures like nothing happened lol. Especially one girl who is whiter than milk and has white family and white dad male - and her posts fulled with anger toward white males lol. I still want to aks her if she realizes that she is basically directing hate toward her own dad and everyone on the family photos she so likes to share and post lol. Kids these days have absence of reality and I even doubt experience and age will cure it

wut...?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I love a good fight. Didnt want to make my career path TOO easy.

hey... more power to you bro.

Medical school no matter what is not easy.

MD itself isn't easy. DO imo is actually harder due to the implementation of OMM/OPP and the fact we have to take two sets of boards.

As a DO student... trust me... you really... REALLY should try to get that MD seat back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love a good fight. Didnt want to make my career path TOO easy.

And in exchange, we will embolden your name when we add it to the list of physicians with career regrets

LOL, you should have seen our classmates facebook page - moaning and crying, threatening to unfriend anyone who voted Trump lol and announcing that life is over, world is over and there is no point in life whatsoever anymore... and yet the very next day they go to Starbucks and order a Grande with a Muffin and consume it gladly and joyfully before the lectures like nothing happened lol. Especially one girl who is whiter than milk and has white family and white dad male - and her posts fulled with anger toward white males lol. I still want to aks her if she realizes that she is basically directing hate toward her own dad and everyone on the family photos she so likes to share and post lol. Kids these days have absence of reality and I even doubt experience and age will cure it

This is why you gotta deactivate that facebook profile. let everything blow over a bit. Too many pampered/sheltered students getting triggered over the most idiotic things-- things that no amount of whining will change.

IMG_0044.GIF

Reactions: 2 users
The OMM portion is a waste of time. It's like about 3-4 hrs a week. However, I never give much crap about this class. I cram like 48 hrs before the exam and have no problem coming out with high 80s or low 90s on the written and practical exams.

@QualityProcess Can't wait...put it next to the names who went to the caribbean just to have an MD next to their name!
You guys! Im so touched you're so concerned with my future success. And here I was just thinking SDN was about ego stroking, whipping it out to compare, and arguing about minutia. Well, as a 3rd generation future DO, and having 4 siblings who all matched into ACGME competitive specialties like ortho, neuro, and derm, I think Ill be okay! But thank you!

haha ok... I was under the impression that you had chosen DO over US MD. Choosing DO over Caribbean MD makes more sense. Congratulations on having successful siblings. I hope you are successful too.

As an OMS4 who has done relatively well, I can assure you that my comment about you potentially regretting your decision to go DO was not based on SDN's general consensus that MD>DO, it was based on my experience. As someone who, unlike you, has actually experienced clinical rotations, boards, and residency interviews. And has seen the difference.

Sorry about my comment about your decision, it was condescending... but the fact is that your comment about not wanting an easy career path isn't reasonable. good luck

@QualityProcess Well, as a 3rd generation future DO, and having 4 siblings who all matched into ACGME competitive specialties like ortho, neuro, and derm, I think Ill be okay! But thank you!
"All my friends won money in Vegas so I will too!"

"I went to an MD school, therefor my training and education is superior!"
I'm at a DO school. But in general what you just said is entirely true. Calm down pre med.

I'm at a DO school. But in general what you just said is entirely true. Calm down pre med.

Hes a third generation DO with 4 siblings that are all DOs. I don't think it comes from being a premed, I think its more a source of pride. There are some cases of DO schools being better than some MD schools. If it weren't for residency options and price tag, I would consider taking CCOM over Rosalind Franklin. CCOM's clinical rotations are on par with and surpass some MD programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Hes a third generation DO with 4 siblings that are all DOs. I don't think it comes from being a premed, I think its more a source of pride. There are some cases of DO schools being better than some MD schools. If it weren't for residency options and price tag, I would consider taking CCOM over Rosalind Franklin. CCOM's clinical rotations are on par with and surpass some MD programs.
Not an unreasonable position at all. Does that change what I said?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called the MD school...they said they would take me back, guys. It's okay now. Everything is good. But dont worry...if I see you at the hospital with DO behind your name...I wont think less of you.

Dude honestly... it's not about the stupid initials. Really.

It's about having to waste time learning OPP/OMM and never ever ever using it.

It's about having to take 2 sets of board exams due to this damn merger.

It's about the fact that a majority of us don't have access to good research that a lot of MD schools and students have.

Our "free time" is spent learning stupid OPP bull**** when we should be and could be studying for boards OR have MORE time studying for classes.

I completely concede that much of the OMM stuff is superfluous and unsubstantiated. Although, as I have pointed out else where on here in more detail, I believe the argument can be made that it can aid in MS anatomy. But really on SDN we are not comparing individual DO schools versus individual MD schools on their education outcomes, so initials have a little to do with it. That is really the only way blanket statements like "MD>DO" can be substantiated (which I don't doubt is true in many cases). And I mean that from a purely educational point of view. There is no doubt that DOs still have a harder time for residency placements. My whole point is people decide to go into medicine for different reasons, DO might offer some people more on whatever level that you personally might think is misguided and stupid. My only hope is that people don't look at you or any DO as less of a physician because of it...but thats just my lowly pre-med 2cents.

I get what ur saying. Well.. as long as your eyes are wide open man, I'm sure you will do fine. good luck homie.

Everyone knows primary care is Bae anyways

Reactions: 1 users
Now imagine your average undergraduate student of this current younger generation: by all objective standards, basically an overfed, cowardly triggerbot and government slave-baby.
Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

You sir, are my spirit animal

Just called the MD school...they said they would take me back, guys. It's okay now. Everything is good. But dont worry...if I see you at the hospital with DO behind your name...I wont think less of you.
I mean I know you're being sarcastic but you should really ****ing do this. Assuming it's not a god awful MD school. There are a few.

I mean I know you're being sarcastic but you should really ****ing do this. Assuming it's not a god awful MD school. There are a few.
I agree. I visited a couple of DO schools and I couldn't stand the self-depreciating environment (I have nothing against DOs, obviously, as I had applied to DO schools).

Everyone asks about step scores (to which the admin. replies: "This is a DO school..."), the majority of students have a chip on their shoulder/general sentiment that they do not want to be there/constantly mutter why they are 'no different' (I am assuming 90+% would jump at an MD acceptance). These schools just feel so toxic (in comparison to MD interview days).

I simply cannot understand any logic that would make someone VOLUNTARILY choose DO > MD. My biggest issue is the constant: "You learn OMM and then forget about it!". Why would I want to take the time and energy to learn something that everyone tells me to forget? Especially when I could be learning something useful...

I agree. I visited a couple of DO schools and I couldn't stand the self-depreciating environment (I have nothing against DOs, obviously, as I had applied to DO schools).

Everyone asks about step scores (to which the admin. replies: "This is a DO school..."), the majority of students have a chip on their shoulder/general sentiment that they do not want to be there/constantly mutter why they are 'no different' (I am assuming 90+% would jump at an MD acceptance). These schools just feel so toxic (in comparison to MD interview days).

I simply cannot understand any logic that would make someone VOLUNTARILY choose DO > MD. My biggest issue is the constant: "You learn OMM and then forget about it!". Why would I want to take the time and energy to learn something that everyone tells me to forget? Especially when I could be learning something useful...

I'm not sure what schools you visited but I felt the opposite. I'm sure the majority of the students would jump at a DO but inferiority complex I don't see.

As for me I found DO schools much more enjoyable to visit than MDs. They were more down to earth and happy to be given the chance where as my tour guide at an MD program kept on going on about how she wants to be a neurosurgeon and I felt the smugness.

I say this not to say either of our views are wrong but more that there are different feels for every school. Med students moods change from day to day depending on the test schedule or what other bs administration decides to pull. The same students may be perfectly happy next week.

@QualityProcess Can't wait...put it next to the names who went to the caribbean just to have an MD next to their name!
You guys! Im so touched you're so concerned with my future success. And here I was just thinking SDN was about ego stroking, whipping it out to compare, and arguing about minutia. Well, as a 3rd generation future DO, and having 4 siblings who all matched into ACGME competitive specialties like ortho, neuro, and derm, I think Ill be okay! But thank you!
Hey, im sure you probably sick of this post, but just my take. I am doing DO too, I also have siblings and family who are DOs (although not 3rd gen) and one MD. I think most people on here are supportive in general. I hadn't really experienced the whole MD>DO thing until I came on SDN. Probably because I am from SE Michigan which has a lot of DOs practicing in almost every major hospital system here. But try and see their point of view and realize their experiences might be different. And your opinion might change after 4 years.

Yup. Everyone in my family is a US MD. Not a single time did any of them tell me I was making a mistake or to apply to MD programs (I only applied DO).
Im glad to hear that. if you dont mind me asking, what made you only apply to DO...or if you want you can DM me.

Personal reasons. I had a very unique background and reasoning, though.

Fact of the matter is that going US MD will make life easier for you. Can't debate that.
Well, where ever you end up, im sure youll do great and be a good physician. So far...with my limited experience, it seems the most people that go to DO schools, whether by choice or not, have pretty unique stories behind going into medicine. Whether that makes them better physicians or not, I have no idea, but it sure does make for interesting and fun classmates.