When do you rank bases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TRT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We were under the impression that in September we got to rank 20 bases and that in April we would find out where we matched. Is this correct? We will be active duty for the AF in July of 2008 as a radiologist. Is it true that getting matched at a particular place is on a first come first serve basis? Any light that can be shed on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the process is very well-defined; it's a vague combination of what the service needs, your seniority, who you know, and what you want. Don't underestimate the pull that the commander has - if he/she says, "I want so-and-so" then that can trump quite a few things. I definitely wouldn't call it a first-come/first-serve process.

We were under the impression that in September we got to rank 20 bases and that in April we would find out where we matched. Is this correct? We will be active duty for the AF in July of 2008 as a radiologist. Is it true that getting matched at a particular place is on a first come first serve basis? Any light that can be shed on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

DO NOT PUT ANY FAITH IN THAT LIST. IT MEANS NOTHING TO THOSE MAKING THE DECISIONS.

Instead, call up your assignment officer (you can reach him at the place you send the list) and start talking about what you want. The "match" process occurs via numerous phone calls, NOT via the list. I made that mistake and was offered a choice of the last place on my list and a place where I cannot practice my specialty in an AF facility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if these dates of September and April are accurate?

Thank you for your resposes. Still wondering though if we should be getting paper work this month to start the process of ranking and "talking" to the AF about where the heck we will be stationed for the next 4 years. Has anyone here ever found out where they would go before April??

I found out in December. The dream sheet has little to no impact on your assignment. Pull strings, call friends, call anybody, beg, plead, do whatever is necessary not to wind up in some godforsaken place at the end of the earth. You will likely not receive any direction or paperwork or anything at all to help you. Welcome to the AF.

We spoke to the gal in charge of placing radiologists at all the different AF bases. She seemed SUPER nice. Answered a lot of questions. Said that we should get paperwork before Oct 1st and deadline for all the paperwork was Nov 15th. It does sound like the more reasons you state in the paperwork for wanting something and also establishing verbal contact with the person making those decisions is probably wise and will most likely will increase your odds of getting in where you want.