When does it all "click"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTtech0715

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I'm a 1st year SDPT finishing up my second semester. Our coursework has become more and more application focused- most of what we do in class involves discussing patient cases and examination procedures that we then practice in lab.

I'm generally a good test taker and stay on top of my studying, but I feel like I am struggling to carry over paper-based knowledge to practical use with a mock patient.

My question is, is there a point in PT school when everything just seems to click? Better yet, does anyone have suggestions on how to enhance this practical skill with patient cases?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll feel a lot better once you've been in the clinic. You still have 2 years to go, trust me you're clinical reasoning still has lots of opportunity to improve. Keeping plugging along and doing well in school and it all works out.

Reactions: 1 users
2 years after you graduate. Not joking- in the first year every day you realize what you don't know. The second year you think you feel more confident. By the third year you have the clinical experience to put it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
About 10 yrs after graduation if you apply yourself

From what I'm seeing........its going to take 1 year postgrad after seeing some repetition of initial encounter to full discharge. Developmental delay and some neuro may take a little longer. 8 weeks gets your feet wet to not have you be unsafe, but youll need prolonged time in one setting

You'll feel a lot better once you've been in the clinic. You still have 2 years to go, trust me you're clinical reasoning still has lots of opportunity to improve. Keeping plugging along and doing well in school and it all works out.

It gets better in clinic, but try to download PTCaseFiles before your rotation. It simulates about 37 basic and usual patient scenarios per setting. I highly recommend that before starting

It gets better in clinic, but try to download PTCaseFiles before your rotation. It simulates about 37 basic and usual patient scenarios per setting. I highly recommend that before starting
Wow, this sounds really helpful! I will definitely be looking into PTCaseFiles, thank you!

You're welcome. The apps are relatively cheap. You will get probably 3x the volume as presented in school on the exams that use case studies.

Go slow. Take it all in. Write things out. Think about. What would be your plan in walking into a room? How do you pool the coursework together to create a fluid and flowing, skillful session of subjective, or jective, assessment, initial intervention and a rough time line of your services.

Just make sure that your use of the apps DOES NOT interfere with how you need to prep for practicals. You have to conform to your instructors ppts, readings and emphases.

The apps give you simulated scenarios in different environments for clinical preparation.

Hope that helps
Wow, this sounds really helpful! I will definitely be looking into PTCaseFiles, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
About 10 yrs after graduation if you apply yourself

...I think a statement that teaches the fact that you'll be continually learning and changing practice patterns is good, but this is a student, probably stressed out, who needs practical advice to make it through some hoops and access some other info. to progress and develop more confidence in synthesizing material and applying it to required practicals....and then the foot in the water clinicals to successfully complete them

Reactions: 1 user