when does one write the Canadian boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all....... what is the timeline for writing the Canadian boards? is it after second year or after fourth year? how many parts are there?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The word on the street is you write the LMCCs at the end of your med4 year. There isn't an exam during m2 year.

jbish said:
The word on the street is you write the LMCCs at the end of your med4 year. There isn't an exam during m2 year.
So, no step 1 and 2 exams here ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the LMCC the same as the MCCQE? Thanks.

Well, if you're ever planning on going to the US, you'll take step 1 and step 2 but how would Canadians who practice in Canada ever need to take an exam entitled :United States Medical Licensing Exam?

I'm not sure if LMCC is the same as MCCQE but it probably is as LMCC is probably the French-translated version of MCCQE as I go to school in Montreal.

The LMCC and MCCQE are the same. The LMCC refers to Licenciate of the Medical Council of Canada which is the title that you receive after you pass both parts 1 & 2 of the MCCQE. Kind of a slang, I guess.

You write part 1 of LMCC exam at the end of fourth year and part 2 in the fall of your second year of residency. LMCC=MCCQE.

For a Canadian student doing a Canadian residency there is no need to ever write the USMLE. I am a surgery resident in Canada probably going to the USA for a fellowship and have been told i don't even need USMLE to do a fellowship/practice in the USA. They will accept LMCC as equivalent.

hey tussy,

who told you that you don't need the USMLE in order to practice in the states? does apply only to surgery residents? it'd be nice if you could refer me to a site that says that. i am doing fam med at mcgill. am thinking about going back to US to practice after residency. it'd be great if i didn't have to pass those usmle exams.

It depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it. If they really want you to work there they won't make you write the USMLEs. Only 2 people in my med school class wrote them and they both were applying to residencies in the us and therefore needed them. I'm goign by what my seniors have told me -- best to ask at the programs you're interested in