Army When does specialty pay kick in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acsb_21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by an AMEDD recruiter that if one were to take the HPSP scholarship, he would not receive specialty pay until after he finished his HPSP AD payback. That would mean those who only serve to fulfill their HPSP obligation don’t receive any specialty pay. Is this true, and is this true for all the branches?

Members don't see this ad.

inaccurate. after GME while you pay back your service obligation, you will receive "incentive pay" ranging from $20,000/yr (internship-only GMO) to $59,000/yr (ortho, nsg, rads, anes) plus board certification pay $6,000 in addition to the standard set of pay and allowances for your rank and time in service. once your service obligation is over, you are eligible for a multiyear retention bonus ranging from $12,000 to $75,000/yr depending on length of contract and specialty in addition to a potentially an increased incentive pay, again depending on specialty and length of contract.

I was told by an AMEDD recruiter that if one were to take the HPSP scholarship, he would not receive specialty pay until after he finished his HPSP AD payback. That would mean those who only serve to fulfill their HPSP obligation don’t receive any specialty pay. Is this true, and is this true for all the branches?

In addition to what was said above. Speciality pay kicks in as soon as your are credentialed after leaving residency. It used to be 90 days after but that has now changed and it’s as soon as you are credentialed

Mine didn’t start until three months later. I was told you couldn’t sign a new contract during the fiscal year. So my first three months were paid at the resident rate.