When is a good time to retake gen. GRE and still apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know it is a little late for this, but I took the general GRE for the first time in mid-Nov. and b/c my math was so low I need to re-take. My deadlines are Dec. 15 and Jan. 1. When would be the latest I could re-take? I have finals and final papers coming up, so Dec. 1 is too soon. What about around Dec. 15 or so?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ooooof. I suggest you take it as close to Dec 1 as possible. Something about cutting it that close to the deadline makes me nervous. If you take it on or around the 15th deadline, you give yourself no time to deal with any unforeseen issues with ETS or other parts of your application. No only that, the longer you wait, you give your schools virtually no opportunity to see your new essay scores--which stinks if you are a strong writer/critical thinker, which you probably are given you and your previous career.

This is hard and stressful. Hang in there and good luck.

Hi,

I know it is a little late for this, but I took the general GRE for the first time in mid-Nov. and b/c my math was so low I need to re-take. My deadlines are Dec. 15 and Jan. 1. When would be the latest I could re-take? I have finals and final papers coming up, so Dec. 1 is too soon. What about around Dec. 15 or so?

Thanks!

You need to take it sooner, not later. By Jan 15th many will already have invites in the mail. Once that window has passed you won't get another shot no matter how good your scores... or at least that has been my experience.

Mark