when is good time to change last name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are MS4s and will be applying for residency this summer.
She will be taking my last name. My question is when does it make most sense in terms of ease and less hassle with paperwork to change her last name?

Should we do it now before ERAS opens in July? Or wait until we match and then change it before residency starts?

Also, if anyone has gone through the process, how long does it take to change the name (in terms of paperwork & filling forms)

Members don't see this ad.

I got married between M3 and M4 and changed my name after the wedding. I think how long it takes will depend on the state, but it took me about 2 weeks to get my driver's license and SS card with my new name. I would recommend doing it before ERAS opens. If I remember correctly, there is a spot for your maiden name on ERAS. She will have to change her name on USMLE records if she is going to take Step 2 in her married name. There's a link on the website that gives you the form to fill out for that.

She will be taking my last name. My question is when does it make most sense in terms of ease and less hassle with paperwork to change her last name?

Should we do it now before ERAS opens in July? Or wait until we match and then change it before residency starts?

Also, if anyone has gone through the process, how long does it take to change the name (in terms of paperwork & filling forms)

Change the name prior to ERAS. It is confusing to apply and interview with one name and start residency with another name. It is also a ton of paperwork for the program to do the name change if it happens during or after the credentialing process.

Prior to ERAS 100%. Just trust me!

Thanks for the replies. This process is confusing because so many parties are involved.

Some other question. She already took Step II.

But what about the Step I and II scores, if they are in the old last name how will they be released?

Also, isn't the tokken for the application sent out in the old last name?

Does credentialing start soon after match results released? (April/May)?

What documents need name changed at a minimum to successfully apply through ERAS with a new last name?

I'm not sure about board scores. I hadn't taken Step 2 CS when I changed my name, so I did the name change. I am guessing she may want to do the name change process and maybe they change the name on the score reports they send to ERAS? As I said above, there is a space for maiden name on ERAS, so it might be okay if things are in her maiden name.

I had not changed my name when the ERAS tokens were released, so it was in my maiden name, but I was still able to start my ERAS application in my married name. I think as long as the name change process is complete by the time you submit the application you should be okay.

The residency paperwork process is probably going to start at different points depending on the program, but I got my paperwork mid April. Some of my classmates got it earlier and some later.

I would say she needs to change her name with the school and for her USMLE scores at a minimum. I can't remember any other documentation with my married name I needed to apply.

I got married during my MSIV year, and changed my name in the spring semester after match. I then notified my residency program right away of my new name after Match day. I haven't yet changed my USMLE name records (Step 1, 2ck, and 2cs are all under my maiden name), but so far I haven't been told of any problems with credentialing. My diploma and school records are all still with my maiden name.

Changing names before ERAS is certainly most convenient for programs, although it's pretty easy to just make a note on Jane Smith's ERAS file that she's going by Jane Jones when she interviews. Your AAMC number won't change, so I'll find you for the Match list regardless of what you call yourself :).

The Step applications have a line to indicate whether you took a previous exam under a different name. Your USMLE ID number won't change so the report will be released under the new name referencing all prior exam results.

The appointment process takes a long time so we get started immediately after Match. My insititution appoints according to the name on the Social Security Card as of April 15th (which is the last day I can submit the paperwork to make sure the new interns are in payroll by the time they start). If the marriage takes place too late to get the physical card by that date, we have to change the name once the resident arrives. Huge hassel because it involves changing the person's name with the licensing board as well as the personnel office and hospital. Dealing with it now, as a matter of fact. It always takes longer than one would expect.

Last edited: