1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

When is it a good time to ask for LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sam26880, Aug 1, 2006.

1. sam26880

sam26880 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I have just started taking all the pre-reqs for DAT. Currently i'm taking Bio I and doing very well. My bio prof knows that I'm planning to apply to dental school and he has agreed to write me a LOR. My question is when should I get that from him? Right now? is it too early? I'm prob. gonna be going to school in Fall 2008. If he writes one now, wouldn't he have to date it? Would the schools care if it's dated today meaning it'll be couple years old by the time they see it? Or should my prof. just write the LOR and sign it and give it to me without dating it? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'm really not sure. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aurora507

aurora507 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I would advise you to get your LOR as soon as you can. You never know what could happen if you wait (he could get really sick, go on sabbatical, change his mind, etc. these have all happened to people I know). I don't think dental schools would care that you got the rec a few years before applying as long as the content of the letter is good. That being said, some of the other letters you get should be dated close to when you actually apply so the adcoms see a continued trend of doing well in classes.

4. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    early, and after the professor or letter writer has gotten to know you. Don't wait until they have forgotten you, and have the letters kept at your career services file or prehealth office file until you need to apply.

5. sam26880

sam26880 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    career services file? prehealth office? Not sure what you're talking about. I'm not a full time student. In fact, I already have my masters but going back to school part time (i work full time) to take this pre-reqs. Please explain. Thanks